Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Doc is one of my few "Buy them all for the character" series. The variety and experimentation on the character over Strange's history has been extremely interesting. From lee and Ditko to Thomas to Englehart, Stern, and so many more I've enjoyed reading his adventures. May 2021 bring us a Doc who doesn't go through another "Oh, no, my powers are lacking/gone" arc.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Doc is one of my few "Buy them all for the character" series. The variety and experimentation on the character over Strange's history has been extremely interesting. From lee and Ditko to Thomas to Englehart, Stern, and so many more I've enjoyed reading his adventures. May 2021 bring us a Doc who doesn't go through another "Oh, no, my powers are lacking/gone" arc.

Yes! Please! No more depowered Doctor Strange stories.

I need to read Gerry Dugan's Savage Avengers and see his take. I heard he's a big fan of Strange / wants to write his book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    What a great summation! Thank you! Haven't much care for Doc's writers these past two (?!) decades, after MANY decades faithful following and gradual discouragement, but enjoyed most of his two recent titles (Surgeon Supreme (!) and its predecessor).
    I agree. Chariset's introduction is great. I wish she was still on the board, but it's been years.

I think part of the issue for 20 years was that Doctor Strange didn't have his own book. So we had different writers, without a guiding portrayal, abusing the character on various teams and team ups to support other characters. Thankfully, with the movie, that era is long gone. Strange is always going to have a book, like the other movie characters.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Unfortunately neither stuck around for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's not actually true. The robe lasted a brief amount of time, yes, but the trenchcoat lasted *checks notes* about 3 years. It's just that he didn't have a title during that time.

Still my favorite look of his, even if he never tucks in his bloody shirt.
    LOL! Maybe he has to dress quickly. ;p

I remember when I thought 3 years was a long time ... now it seems like an eye blink. Of course, not having his own book makes a difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So far I have Strange Tales 126 & 127 (1st ever encounter with Dormammu and 1st App of Clea!)
    Lots to go but I’m really excited. The original “in and out” type stories were fantastic. I wish we’d see more of that with a modern take.

Al Ewing on this book when he’s done with Hulk please.
    I don't think we've seen Ewing write Doctor Strange, have we? His immersion into the character is amazing.

I think I only have one Strange Tales, but it's a Roy Thomas and Gene Colan issue ... and it doesn't have a cover. I'd forgotten how much older those Strange Tales issues were.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's not actually true. The robe lasted a brief amount of time, yes, but the trenchcoat lasted *checks notes* about 3 years. It's just that he didn't have a title during that time.

Still my favorite look of his, even if he never tucks in his bloody shirt.
    Under 3 yrs in a nearly 60 yr history? I'll stick with my "not very long" assessment.

But yes, even in that short time it managed to become my favorite look to this day!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Here's hoping the good doctor has a better year in 2021!

Some Doc-flavored decor from my comic room...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

And a few more...

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Wow! Gorgeous! I love Kevin Nowlan's art. Are those black and white pieces original art or prints?

I love the Clea cup. And I don't think I've seen that Dormammu figure either.

Ahh, the Cho poster reminds me, he's done a new piece. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wow! Gorgeous! I love Kevin Nowlan's art. Are those black and white pieces original art or prints?

I love the Clea cup. And I don't think I've seen that Dormammu figure either.

Ahh, the Cho poster reminds me, he's done a new piece. I'll have to see if I can find it.

The black and white pieces are 5 of the 6 plates in the Michael Golden Doctor Strange portfolio (the sixth is hanging in the stairwell going up to that attic comic room).

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The black and white pieces are 5 of the 6 plates in the Michael Golden Doctor Strange portfolio (the sixth is hanging in the stairwell going up to that attic comic room).

-M
    I was hoping it was something like that. Adds "Golden Doctor Strange Portfolio" to my wish list.

Here's the upcoming Michael Cho variant cover I mentioned.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-michael-c...ariant-series/

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I was hoping it was something like that. Adds "Golden Doctor Strange Portfolio" to my wish list.

Here's the upcoming Michael Cho variant cover I mentioned.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-michael-c...ariant-series/
    Nice. I really dig Cho' work.

If it helps the search, the portfolio was released in 1983 by SQP (Sal Q Productions). There was a limited edition signed version too, but I've never seen that one in the wild.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Nice. I really dig Cho' work.

If it helps the search, the portfolio was released in 1983 by SQP (Sal Q Productions). There was a limited edition signed version too, but I've never seen that one in the wild.

-M
    Thanks! I just found one on eBay reasonably priced, even.

Cho's work has definitely grown on me. I didn't realize they had made a poster of his previous Dr. Strange.

The portfolio search caught this gem I was also unaware of. FRANK MILLER doing a Doctor Strange print! Of course, it's is heavily inked by P. Craig Russell, but still, I was stunned to see it. It's part of a Marvel Team Up Portfolio -Set Two