Page 22 of 109 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

True Reality

I wish I could remember which issue this image is from. It's obviously from one of the Englehart/Brunner books, but I don't recall which one.

Last edited by Clea; 03-28-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Huh?! What's going on here?

Do you think the MCU is giving Wanda a "scientific origin" to her magical powers?:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/wandav...real-marvel-tv

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...in-wandavision

https://thescienceof.org/wandavision-and-the-cmbr/

And as we know CMBR is NOT fake science at all. Do you think the CMBR in WandaVision was JUST about television signals or it has something to do with Wanda? And if so, do you think the Multiverse of Madness will deal with cosmic radiation further?
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-28-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Anybody remember when Doctor Strange projected himself into Carol Danvers' cat inside her dreams because he needed her to wake up and help him? From the 2006 story in Ms. Marvel #5, continuing the story that began in the previous issue. I liked this story a lot. It involved one of Carol's foes, a crazed, time and dimension hopping Sorcerer named Sir Warren Traveler who originated in the House of M world but somehow managed to escape that reality into ours. Naturally it all turns out well in the end. I think that Strange and Carol work well together.

Last edited by Clea; 03-28-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Anybody remember when Doctor Strange projected himself into Carol Danvers' cat inside her dreams because he needed her to wake up and help him? From the 2006 story in Ms. Marvel #5, continuing the story that began in the previous issue. I liked this story a lot. It involved one of Carol's foes, a crazed, time and dimension hopping Sorcerer named Sir Warren Traveler who originated in the House of M world but somehow managed to escape that reality into ours. Naturally it all turns out well in the end. I think that Strange and Carol work well together.

I had no idea Strange had ANY connection to Carol. I haven't been reading comics for a long time, so I missed out on a lot of stuff from this century. I was actually more of a DC guy. I like Zatanna a lot!

BANNED

I was a big fan of the pairing when I read them in the Brian Reed run the way he left it he left the impression atleast to me that Dr. Strange would appear again in the series but it sadly didn’t happen which was surprising to me. I was honestly surprised Thompson had them swap bodies in her run. I wasn’t big on the characterizations there but it was a fun read nonetheless I’m curious to what she’ll do with Strange. I think it’s obvious any romantic thing between the two won’t last, but I’m definitely keen on seeing them team up more often. Warren Traveler was a good villain to make both of them come off dependent on each other without making one hero outshine the other and that’s the team ups I like to see.

Honestly with the way the MCU was going I was expecting Black Panther, Carol, and Doctor Strange to be featured more prominently in books and events. I think that’s why the Aaron’s Avengers roster started off with those three included and the Avenging big 3. Black Panther was another character I was wanting to interact with Dr. Strange more and that was the highlight of the first couple issues of the current Avengers run for me.

BANNED

5BF5ADBB-670D-4BA7-8D1E-FAC4E8DCD396.jpg

Obviously not Stephen but the Shaman Supreme raises questions to what happens to Stephen in this world

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I had no idea Strange had ANY connection to Carol. I haven't been reading comics for a long time, so I missed out on a lot of stuff from this century. I was actually more of a DC guy. I like Zatanna a lot!

This is a fun story. I recommend it, if you can these issues online or in a LCS by you. It's best to get both Ms. Marvel #4 and #5, as it's a two-part story.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I was a big fan of the pairing when I read them in the Brian Reed run the way he left it he left the impression atleast to me that Dr. Strange would appear again in the series but it sadly didn’t happen which was surprising to me. I was honestly surprised Thompson had them swap bodies in her run. I wasn’t big on the characterizations there but it was a fun read nonetheless I’m curious to what she’ll do with Strange. I think it’s obvious any romantic thing between the two won’t last, but I’m definitely keen on seeing them team up more often. Warren Traveler was a good villain to make both of them come off dependent on each other without making one hero outshine the other and that’s the team ups I like to see.

Honestly with the way the MCU was going I was expecting Black Panther, Carol, and Doctor Strange to be featured more prominently in books and events. I think that’s why the Aaron’s Avengers roster started off with those three included and the Avenging big 3. Black Panther was another character I was wanting to interact with Dr. Strange more and that was the highlight of the first couple issues of the current Avengers run for me.
    The 'Freaky Friday' body-swap trope is extremely popular with fans. I'm indifferent to it. I suppose it provides humor and a quick way for two characters to get insight into each other. I haven't read the Captain Marvel/Doctor Strange body swap in Captain Marvel #7 yet, but I'll check it out, especially as it seems that Strange is going to be appearing in Carol's book again while she learns magic.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

I didn’t mind the Freaky Friday trope I honestly was pretty excited to read the issue for that reason. Given comics are king running series of stories I’d imagine a lot of stories could come off identical to past stories and different characters it’s and often times common or even uncommon tropes in fiction would appear. My issue was the characterizations of both Strange and Carol during the issue. They both read kind of younger than they were or should be at this point. Black Widow also does something both Carol and Strange find disgusting which given who they are I thought it was weird. Because I’m sure at that point we’d had Aaron’s run which kind of established Strange is likely to do it himself and Carol who had that whole KSD run in space. Lmao my bad if that’s spoilery I tried my best to share my thoughts on it without giving to much away.

I do think the issues pull in to my point of the team ups where both characters are as competent as each other. Which I like when writers don’t downplay one for the sake of the other and Thompson doesn’t seem to ever do that.

I didn’t mind the Freaky Friday trope I honestly was pretty excited to read the issue for that reason. Given comics are king running series of stories I’d imagine a lot of stories could come off identical to past stories and different characters it’s and often times common or even uncommon tropes in fiction would appear. My issue was the characterizations of both Strange and Carol during the issue. They both read kind of younger than they were or should be at this point. Black Widow also does something both Carol and Strange find disgusting which given who they are I thought it was weird. Because I’m sure at that point we’d had Aaron’s run which kind of established Strange is likely to do it himself and Carol who had that whole KSD run in space. Lmao my bad if that’s spoilery I tried my best to share my thoughts on it without giving to much away.

I do think the issues pull in to my point of the team ups where both characters are as competent as each other. Which I like when writers don’t downplay one for the sake of the other and Thompson doesn’t seem to ever do that.
    I disregard pretty much everything that Aaron wrote for Doctor Strange. IMO, his run on the book was awful. If there's something in this story that reminds you of Aaron's version of Strange, I'm sure I won't like it. On the other hand, I'm in complete agreement with you that the best team up stories are the ones that showcase both characters well and let both characters shine. I quite like Kelly Thompson as a writer.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

You’d have to read the story for yourself and share your thoughts on it I’d be curious to know them.

You’d have to read the story for yourself and share your thoughts on it I’d be curious to know them.
    Okay, so I got a copy of Ms. Marvel 7. I agree with you that the characterizations made them both feel too young. They talked and acted like cheeky teenagers to me. I didn't see anything that reminded me too much of Aaron's writing in this regarding Black Widow...unless you're referring to her saying that they were going to have eat alligator. If that was the scene, I think that was meant to be a joke more than anything else since we saw her fighting with it in the background. They're 'ew, no way' reaction just sounded like something a child would say. I've eaten alligator. It's not bad! Aaron's bizarre 'rule' that Strange can only eat filth and bugs was on a whole different scale of WTHness that I don't even want to waste time thinking about it.

Kelly Thompson used the body-swapping gag for laughs. By comparison, skews towards the horrific. Here's an example from Sorcerer Supreme #22 when Dormammu used a spell called the Exorcism of Transferral to force Strange and Clea to swap bodies and "essence" with each other, but he cast the spell in such a way that Strange and Clea ended up coexisting in both bodies at the same time. Nasty! Gotta be careful how you cast body-swapping spells or you could end up with people in a painful, tangled up mess.

Last edited by Clea; 03-29-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

This is a fun story. I recommend it, if you can these issues online or in a LCS by you. It's best to get both Ms. Marvel #4 and #5, as it's a two-part story.

The 'Freaky Friday' body-swap trope is extremely popular with fans. I'm indifferent to it. I suppose it provides humor and a quick way for two characters to get insight into each other. I haven't read the Captain Marvel/Doctor Strange body swap in Captain Marvel #7 yet, but I'll check it out, especially as it seems that Strange is going to be appearing in Carol's book again while she learns magic.
    Oh, thank you so much. I have been out of comics since the late 90s, so I had no idea who Ms. Marvel was until VERY recently. Apparently she is quite popular and has some sort of connection to Danvers. Funny how the two of them have been caught up in the magical world. I appreciate the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh, thank you so much. I have been out of comics since the late 90s, so I had no idea who Ms. Marvel was until VERY recently. Apparently she is quite popular and has some sort of connection to Danvers. Funny how the two of them have been caught up in the magical world. I appreciate the recommendation.
    Carol Danvers has had lots of different superhero nicknames over the years, including Ms. Marvel. There's a different person with the title of Ms. Marvel now.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

Okay, so I got a copy of Ms. Marvel 7. I agree with you that the characterizations made them both feel too young. They talked and acted like cheeky teenagers to me. I didn't see anything that reminded me too much of Aaron's writing in this regarding Black Widow...unless you're referring to her saying that they were going to have eat alligator. If that was the scene, I think that was meant to be a joke more than anything else since we saw her fighting with it in the background. They're 'ew, no way' reaction just sounded like something a child would say. I've eaten alligator. It's not bad! Aaron's bizarre 'rule' that Strange can only eat filth and bugs was on a whole different scale of WTHness that I don't even want to waste time thinking about it.

Kelly Thompson used the body-swapping gag for laughs. By comparison, skews towards the horrific. Here's an example from Sorcerer Supreme #22 when Dormammu used a spell called the Exorcism of Transferral to force Strange and Clea to swap bodies and "essence" with each other, but he cast the spell in such a way that Strange and Clea ended up coexisting in both bodies at the same time. Nasty! Gotta be careful how you cast body-swapping spells or you could end up with people in a painful, tangled up mess.
    Lol that’s Alligator thing was exactly what I was referring to. It just came off as odd given we’ve seen Strange eat way worse in Aaron’s run and Carol spent a whole year in space I doubt all she had in her ship was earth food. So the idea of them being that picky about what they ate just came off odd to me. The characterization definitely came off like they were being written younger which honestly I could of ignored if she de-aged them while swapping their bodies. I’d imagine someone like Carol who can fly alien space ships and was an ambassador for the US in intergalactic affairs would be able to come to grips with simple spells under Dr. Strange’s is guidance and vice versa with Stephen being someone who was a surgeon with a vast knowledge of mystic arts. If Thompson had them de-aged I think it would of came off a hell of a lot more believable given how she wrote them. It was a fun story nonetheless just my nitpicks at it.

I’ll have to check out the Sorceror Supreme issue appreciate the name drop.

Carol Danvers has had lots of different superhero nicknames over the years, including Ms. Marvel. There's a different person with the title of Ms. Marvel now.
    Yeah, I thought about that. I was thinking did she go back to her previous name? And then I found out some other lady has it now. Seems like this new Ms. Marvel is pretty popular these days. Again thanks for the recommendation.

I don't know if you've watched the Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but in episode 2, the show used a deus ex machina by having a car appear out of nowhere for somebody to land on. Nobody really talks about that kind of thing though! I think audiences are willing to tolerate that kind of thing just as long as they don't overdo it.

I actually believe Falcon and the Winter Soldier is gonna end with Bucky telling the old man he killed his son and it's going to be pretty painful. But that would be good closure for this series. As you probably know, my only real complaint about WandaVision is that the Scarlet Witch didn't get that moment with the people of Westview.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-29-2021 at 06:35 PM.