Page 27 of 109 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

I think it's an image cloud issue. I can't see them either. I figured it was a browser issue of mine.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Excellent! Do you plan to read the entire run of all of Strange's books from the start?
    Well, that's the plan. Now I have to stick to it.
    Strange Tales 110 -
    Doctor Strange 1974 run
    Don't know if I should check out Defenders

strange tales #115 question
    The Origin of Strange!
    Ancient One knew Mordo's true intentions that's why he kept him close in order to control him.
    Uuh okay that may make sense, but from Mordo's perspective?
    Why does Mordo study there when he seeks aid from Dormammu. Why doesn't he become Dormammu's pupil then?

issue #116
    Is it me or Nightmare dumb in this one?
    I mean why doesn't he try to cut off Strange again? I mean yeah Strange uses the beam in his Amulet to buy some time, but still.
    Isn't Nightmare more powerful than to be shown in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think it's an image cloud issue. I can't see them either. I figured it was a browser issue of mine.
    Clearly I need to find a new image hosting platform.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Heh.

Now I can't see Clea's images.
    how about this one?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Speaking of Wanda, here's a page from Master of the Mystic Arts #60, 1974 Strange seeks to obtain the Darkhold from Wanda. She tells Strange that just coming in contact with the Darkhold caused her to become possessed by Chthon. She warns him that it would be dangerous even for Strange himself to come in contact with it. I wonder if Marvel is going to incorporate the 'Wanda gets possessed by Chthon via the Darkhold' storyline in the next film.
    It's almost ALWAYS a mistake to use comics canon to predict what will happen in the MCU.

(Regarding your image issue... I suggest using a 3rd party host like imgur)

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It's almost ALWAYS a mistake to use comics canon to predict what will happen in the MCU.

(Regarding your image issue... I suggest using a 3rd party host like imgur)
    In general, I agree about not using previous canon to predict new stories going forward. When it comes to the MCU though, it seems to me that they are reaching back several years but then streamlining and cherry-picking what they do and do not want to use going forward. So it's possible they'll use parts of the Darkhold corrupts Wanda storyline, or they may just discard that entire plotline altogether. I don't know. It strikes me that the MCU version of the characters often come across in a much better light than they do in the print stories.

As for image hosting, I just switched to ImgBox with the image I posted just above your comment. Hopefully that one will work. If not, I'll switch to Imgur. My previous image hosting platform seems to have gotten quite erratic.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

In general, I agree about not using previous canon to predict new stories going forward. When it comes to the MCU though, it seems to me that they are reaching back several years but then streamlining and cherry-picking what they do and do not want to use going forward. So it's possible they'll use parts of the Darkhold corrupts Wanda storyline, or they may just discard that entire plotline altogether. I don't know. It strikes me that the MCU version of the characters often come across in a much better light than they do in the print stories.

As for image hosting, I just switched to ImgBox with the image I posted just above your comment. Hopefully that one will work. If not, I'll switch to Imgur. My previous image hosting platform seems to have gotten quite erratic.
    I don't think they have time for it in his movie and to fullfill the synopsis of the film. And keep it only a couple hours. Anything that extensive for Wanda, I'd say to keep in a movie or another tv show for her. I also really don't want that to be how Chthon's link works with her. She should honestly be the one able to read from the Darkhold. Being that she is able to wield god powers as a mortal. And in this reality is a being of legend written in the Darkhold itself.

how about this one?
    Yep, can see this. I actually read this story each Halloween. A tale about keeping the Darkhold from Dracula is fitting for the holiday.

strange tales #117 question:
    I know Strange borrows powers from the Vishanti, but why does he in this issue say "By the powers of the Vishanti, in the name of the all-seeing Ancient One.."
    Why in his name? Since he's his mentor or is there another reason for it?

issue #120 question
    the eye leaves the amulet and moves to Strange's forehead.
    They retconned this, right? I've never seen that in recent comics....in recent comics it was simply Strange "opening" his third eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    strange tales #117 question:
    I know Strange borrows powers from the Vishanti, but why does he in this issue say "By the powers of the Vishanti, in the name of the all-seeing Ancient One.."
    Why in his name? Since he's his mentor or is there another reason for it?

issue #120 question
    the eye leaves the amulet and moves to Strange's forehead.
    They retconned this, right? I've never seen that in recent comics....in recent comics it was simply Strange "opening" his third eye.
    1) Because it sounds good.

2) Artistic license. The amulet tended to be used in different ways over time.

I just caught up on Mark Waid's Surgeon Supreme run. Does anyone know why the series was canceled? I thought it was really good.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

On the contrary. I love science fiction and have been reading it avidly since I was a child, along with fantasy, mythology, horror, and historical fiction, as well as straightforward history, philosophy, etc. I've read countless science fiction, fantasy, speculative fiction, and horror stories. I am an ardent fan of good storytelling in any genre. What I love about comics is the interplay between telling the story through words but also through the art. It's similar to cinema in many aspects.

To keep this discussion on topic, here's a lovely image from Into Shamballa, one of my favorite Doctor Strange stories.

Great picture! Thanks for sharing. Well, I'm glad you like science fiction too. It's like fantasy's twin brother/sister! The reason why I talked about Hemingway is simple. He got me interested in literature as more than something you had to "do" in school. And his style of writing was absolutely just right up my alley. Very stripped-down, lean, sparse, restrained, and minimalist. What I call the "Less Is More" approach to writing. Prior to his success, a lot of popular novels were verbose and flowery (hard to read). He streamlined storytelling and introduced what authors now call "pacing." In my humble opinion, commercial fiction wouldn't be what it is today if Hemingway hadn't led the way. Now what does this have to do with Doctor Strange? I looked at some of the old pages of Strange's comic books you've shared (and elsewhere). And the writing in them WAS extremely grandiloquent and which is why I found it a little bit hard for me to connect with him as a character. But in the MCU, I felt very engaged with his story. He doesn't really speak in an ostentatious way. He talks like me. So, that's why I'm happy that apparently he's getting more of the "Hemingway" treatment in the comic books!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    In the marvel universe some characters are born with magic, others have great potential for it while most people can only gain so much from studies and practice
    Oh, I see. Interesting. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My favorite parts of the fight were the clever bits, like spoilers:
    her coming up behind Agatha and throwing her into an illusion of the coven, only to have Agatha take control of it and turn the illusion around in her; or when Wanda starts blasting her but missing on purpose to cast runes around the area.
    end of spoilers
    I also really liked the Wizard of Oz Easter egg.
    I really enjoyed the non-blasting parts of the fight. Putting up those runes was a smart move. And very creative thinking on Wanda's part. But to me, drawn-out fights are really REALLY boring. And I felt Wanda's and Agatha's went on for a quite some time. The Wizard of Oz Easter Egg was very funny. But Agatha was very funny at the beginning of their battle. She just became an exposition machine afterwards, and I kind of mentally checked out at that point.