Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thanks! I just found one on eBay reasonably priced, even.

Cho's work has definitely grown on me. I didn't realize they had made a poster of his previous Dr. Strange.
    It was a store promo poster not one available for retail. One of the local shops was closing and I knew the owner who knew I was a big Strange fan, so he offered me the poster.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The portfolio search caught this gem I was also unaware of. FRANK MILLER doing a Doctor Strange print! Of course, it's is heavily inked by P. Craig Russell, but still, I was stunned to see it. It's part of a Marvel Team Up Portfolio -Set Two

That looks to be from around the time Miller was supposed to work on the book, announced in a house ad, but which never materialized.

I believe the only Strange story Miller actually drew was his guest appearance in Spider-Man Annual #14...

unless there is one I am unaware of.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

You have sent me on several hunts this evening! LOL!

But yes, I think you are right. That print has a 1982 date on it, and Miller was apparently replaced by Marshall Rogers (WOW!) whose first issue was Dr. Strange 48, with an August 1981 cover date. The annual came out in 1980, so perhaps it was a try-out of some sort?

There's even a Brian Cronin article on this!

Nothing Was Delivered - Roger Stern and Frank Miller's Doctor Strange
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-03-2021 at 01:19 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Has anyone been reading Strange Academy? Is there significant panel time for Dr. Strange?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    A couple of my favorite covers from my favorite series -

That other 90's costume in the second was probably my favorite after the original. Joe Mad drew it and him when he guest- starred in Uncanny X-Men to help Angel and Wolverine help Psylocke after her battle and near slaughter by Sabretooth. I think he was portrayed well by Lobdell.

Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-06-2021 at 12:12 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Has anyone been reading Strange Academy? Is there significant panel time for Dr. Strange?
    Not particularly. But when he does show up, it’s to show him as the best of the best - which is nice and refreshing.

I find Strange Academy a book you just have to try out and see if it’s for you. Im finding it a very fun read, and it’s nice to not be bogged down in continuity or darker tones.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    That other 90's costume in the second was probably my favorite after the original. Joe Mad drew it and him when he guest- starred in Uncanny X-Men to help Angel and Wolverine help Psylocke after her battle and near slaughter by Sabretooth. I think he was portrayed well by Lobdell.

Yeah, Psylocke and Archangel are my favorite X-Men, so I loved seeing Doc show up for that arc!

Joe Mad did indeed draw a great Strange! Then again, I'm biased toward that costume and think it always looks great no matter who's drawing it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

You have sent me on several hunts this evening! LOL!

But yes, I think you are right. That print has a 1982 date on it, and Miller was apparently replaced by Marshall Rogers (WOW!) whose first issue was Dr. Strange 48, with an August 1981 cover date. The annual came out in 1980, so perhaps it was a try-out of some sort?

There's even a Brian Cronin article on this!

Nothing Was Delivered - Roger Stern and Frank Miller's Doctor Strange
    This Stern/Rogers arc was incredible, amazing, fantastic, and invincible. What I LOVED most about it was the meta guesting of so many other stars from the Strange tales book: Thing and Torch, Brother Voodoo, and even Nick Fury. This was a nice way to tie Doc into the Marvel superhero/war book universe.

Still makes me mad that the recent run got canned because of the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    …it’s nice to not be bogged down in continuity or darker tones.
    It seemed a lot more lighthearted starting out, but the last couple of issues, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Still makes me mad that the recent run got canned because of the pandemic.
    And it was also Mark Waid's last Marvel work, I believe.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

I believe the only Strange story Miller actually drew was his guest appearance in Spider-Man Annual #14...

unless there is one I am unaware of.

-M
    Have that issue. Enjoyed his team-ups with SM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yeah, Psylocke and Archangel are my favorite X-Men, so I loved seeing Doc show up for that arc!

Joe Mad did indeed draw a great Strange! Then again, I'm biased toward that costume and think it always looks great no matter who's drawing it.
    Psylocke is one of my faves as well and I like Warren too. I think Doc Strange tried hard to help the underdogs like X-Men, Spidey etc (tried not to judge). I think that that 90's costume was definitely a more updated costume done right and I think it would do fine even now 25 years later.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-07-2021 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Not particularly. But when he does show up, it’s to show him as the best of the best - which is nice and refreshing.

I find Strange Academy a book you just have to try out and see if it’s for you. Im finding it a very fun read, and it’s nice to not be bogged down in continuity or darker tones.
    Hmmm. Okay, I'll check it out on Marvel Unlimited. I'm not a huge teen book fan, so it wasn't on my to read list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This Stern/Rogers arc was incredible, amazing, fantastic, and invincible. What I LOVED most about it was the meta guesting of so many other stars from the Strange tales book: Thing and Torch, Brother Voodoo, and even Nick Fury. This was a nice way to tie Doc into the Marvel superhero/war book universe.
    That's what Cronin, I think, said, that in losing the Frank Miller art run, gave us the excellent Marshall Rogers run, which was a very fair trade IHO.

Reposting from last year's thread ... a cosplay version of the 90s outfit.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5940170...trange-costume