Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 872
  1. #466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think that first Strange movie definitely leaned in on the psychedelic angle for sure. I mean, they had Stan Lee giggling and laughing while reading Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception in it. I thought Stephen was STILL a practicing medical doctor. I had no idea he had given up on that profession years ago. I guess he's no longer interested in being a healer? Yeah, I know Marvel Comics characters will never be as popular as their movie/television versions. But I hear Strange doesn't have a series these days. If his character works on screen, maybe they can transfer some of his personality to the comic books? I like him when he's not "brooding."
    Well, they tried that with the last series, with the Surgeon Supreme stuff, and it didn't even last a year. *shrug*

  2. #467
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think that first Strange movie definitely leaned in on the psychedelic angle for sure. I mean, they had Stan Lee giggling and laughing while reading Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception in it. I thought Stephen was STILL a practicing medical doctor. I had no idea he had given up on that profession years ago. I guess he's no longer interested in being a healer? Yeah, I know Marvel Comics characters will never be as popular as their movie/television versions. But I hear Strange doesn't have a series these days. If his character works on screen, maybe they can transfer some of his personality to the comic books? I like him when he's not "brooding."
    I like him when he's brooding. I like him when he's not brooding. I like the character overall. *shrug* It doesn't matter. It's not about what you like or what I like. I don't expect Marvel to only write Strange according to my taste. I want them to write good stories with consistent characterizations from story to story.

    If you really want to know more about who Strange is as a character, I encourage you to read the comics and not just try to figure him out only from his MCU appearances. Unless you are only interested in the MCU version of Strange, that is. Don't read the Silver Age stuff because it clearly isn't to your taste. I recommend that you start out with Mark Waid's 'Strange Across the Universe' series starting in 2018. It's got lots of science and techie stuff in it, which I suspect you might find appealing. Plus space travel. IMO, Waid is a very good writer and he writes Strange well. He knows and uses Strange's entire history and he understands the Marvel magical universe very well. Then continue into Waid's Surgeon Supreme series because Waid set that up so that Strange could be both a physician and a sorcerer. If you like those stories, there are many other runs in Strange's various books that you might like - or not. I think this would give you a better understanding of who the character over trying to figure him out by comparing him to fictional or real life doctors.
    Last edited by Clea; 04-10-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  3. #468
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Well, they tried that with the last series, with the Surgeon Supreme stuff, and it didn't even last a year. *shrug*
    That's a shame. I would have liked to see that storyline continued for as long as possible.

  4. #469
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I like him when he's brooding. I like him when he's not brooding. I like the character overall. *shrug* It doesn't matter. It's not about what you like or what I like. I don't expect Marvel to only write Strange according to my taste. I want them to write good stories with consistent characterizations from story to story.

    If you really want to know more about who Strange is as a character, I encourage you to read the comics and not just try to figure him out only from his MCU appearances. Unless you are only interested in the MCU version of Strange, that is. Don't read the Silver Age stuff because it clearly isn't to your taste. I recommend that you start out with Mark Waid's 'Strange Across the Universe' series starting in 2018. It's got lots of science and techie stuff in it, which I suspect you might find appealing. Plus space travel. IMO, Waid is a very good writer and he writes Strange well. He knows and uses Strange's entire history and he understands the Marvel magical universe very well. Then continue into Waid's Surgeon Supreme series because Waid set that up so that Strange could be both a physician and a sorcerer. If you like those stories, there are many other runs in Strange's various books that you might like - or not. I think this would give you a better understanding of who the character over trying to figure him out by comparing him to fictional or real life doctors.
    I actually am NOT going to take your advice. I really want to learn more about the Old Strange to get a better handle on his background. After our discussions on these threads, I'm growing ever more curious about the Ditko-inspired surrealism and weird astral dimensions of that era. Seems like in the 60s and 70s, there was a lot of weird cosmic shit going on at Marvel Comics. I'm wondering will I encounter the same palpable sense of wonder from the bizarre, cosmic storylines of those times that you did. It sounds like so much fun. And I'm jealous. So could you recommend to me some earlier Strange tales please? I figure if the stories are good, I can get past the "language" issues I've mentioned earlier. I will try to take a look at them after the pandemic has passed.

  5. #470
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I had no idea that for a period of time Scarlet Witch was Doctor Strange's apprentice. I wonder when that was and how long it lasted and where I can find it at. Also how he had a apprentice but left her with a demon and completely forgot about her and his promise to her. The apprentice's name is Casey Kinmont in one of his miniseries. I found the info here, for his apprentice he forgot

    https://whatculture.com/comics/10-th...strange?page=8

    and the one that mentions for a period of time Scarlet Witch was Doctor Strange's apprentice - under number 7

    https://screenrant.com/trivia-facts-...trange-marvel/

  6. #471
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    I am a pretty big fan of Stephen Strange he is my favorite, I've read all of the series except for surgeon supreme. I didn't know about surgeon supreme at all till I seen it was mentioned here. I hope he gets a full fledged series again and as a fan of Clea as well I hope Strange and Clea get back together, I thought they were good together. Though after what he did to Clea by removing her memories of him in issue #17 in the 2018 Doctor Strange series, I doubt she will want to get back with him. He asked her at the end of issue #17 if their was a chance of them getting back together and she said yes that she still loves him. Then he removes her memories of him and I want to see what happens between the 2 after she recovers from what he did to her. I may be a fan of Doctor Strange but some of the things he does is questionable at the very least.
    Strange did WHAT?!!

  7. #472
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Strange did WHAT?!!
    well when you are dealing with Mephisto, their always comes a cost. He seems to enjoy destroying relationships and even a chance at rekindling a relationship, for example like between Strange and Clea. In Issue #17 of the 2018 series Clea mentions that she still loves Strange and that their was a possibility of getting back together but Mephisto had other idea's and threatened Clea or Strange can save her by removing her memories of Strange. Strange chose to save Clea and make her forget him, even though Strange still loved Clea and wanted to get back with her and she agreed.

    she is going to be pissed at strange when or if she gets her memories back.

    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...mephisto-clea/
    Last edited by IonRyner; 04-10-2021 at 07:26 PM.

  8. #473
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    I had no idea that for a period of time Scarlet Witch was Doctor Strange's apprentice. I wonder when that was and how long it lasted and where I can find it at. Also how he had a apprentice but left her with a demon and completely forgot about her and his promise to her. The apprentice's name is Casey Kinmont in one of his miniseries. I found the info here, for his apprentice he forgot

    https://whatculture.com/comics/10-th...strange?page=8

    and the one that mentions for a period of time Scarlet Witch was Doctor Strange's apprentice - under number 7

    https://screenrant.com/trivia-facts-...trange-marvel/
    Neither Strange, nor his writer at the time (Mark Waid) forgot about Casey Kinmont. Casey sacrificed her own soul to save Strange's life (from 2010's 'Strange' series, by Mark Waid, collected as 'The Doctor is Out'), and Strange saved her in Doctor Strange #8, as part of Mark Waid's 2018 run on the book.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  9. #474
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I actually am NOT going to take your advice. I really want to learn more about the Old Strange to get a better handle on his background. After our discussions on these threads, I'm growing ever more curious about the Ditko-inspired surrealism and weird astral dimensions of that era. Seems like in the 60s and 70s, there was a lot of weird cosmic shit going on at Marvel Comics. I'm wondering will I encounter the same palpable sense of wonder from the bizarre, cosmic storylines of those times that you did. It sounds like so much fun. And I'm jealous. So could you recommend to me some earlier Strange tales please? I figure if the stories are good, I can get past the "language" issues I've mentioned earlier. I will try to take a look at them after the pandemic has passed.
    Start at the beginning, read to the end, and find stories that appeal to you. If you want recommendations on more specific storylines to read, I will try to recommend some to you after the pandemic has passed.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

  10. #475
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Neither Strange, nor his writer at the time (Mark Waid) forgot about Casey Kinmont. Casey sacrificed her own soul to save Strange's life (from 2010's 'Strange' series, by Mark Waid, collected as 'The Doctor is Out'), and Strange saved her in Doctor Strange #8, as part of Mark Waid's 2018 run on the book.
    thanks I'll check out "the Doctor is Out"

  11. #476
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    well when you are dealing with Mephisto, their always comes a cost. He seems to enjoy destroying relationships and even a chance at rekindling a relationship, for example like between Strange and Clea. In Issue #17 of the 2018 series Clea mentions that she still loves Strange and that their was a possibility of getting back together but Mephisto had other idea's and threatened Clea or Strange can save her by removing her memories of Strange. Strange chose to save Clea and make her forget him, even though Strange still loved Clea and wanted to get back with her and she agreed.

    she is going to be pissed at strange when or if she gets her memories back.

    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...mephisto-clea/
    Wow! I didn't know this. What a dysfunctional relationship.

  12. #477
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Start at the beginning, read to the end, and find stories that appeal to you. If you want recommendations on more specific storylines to read, I will try to recommend some to you after the pandemic has passed.
    Okay, thanks Clea. I'll try to take your advice. I'm curious to see how Stan Lee handled Strange's psychedelic phase. Like I said earlier, I'm curious to see how surreal his writing was like back in the day. Sounds like so much fun.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 04-11-2021 at 08:22 AM.

  13. #478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Neither Strange, nor his writer at the time (Mark Waid) forgot about Casey Kinmont. Casey sacrificed her own soul to save Strange's life (from 2010's 'Strange' series, by Mark Waid, collected as 'The Doctor is Out'), and Strange saved her in Doctor Strange #8, as part of Mark Waid's 2018 run on the book.
    Actually, Waid forgot his own story... at the end of the mini, Casey was missing, but Strange had her soul.

    When she returned, her soul had somehow been lost. Go figure.

  14. #479
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Actually, Waid forgot his own story... at the end of the mini, Casey was missing, but Strange had her soul.

    When she returned, her soul had somehow been lost. Go figure.
    that's what I have heard as well, that Waid completely forgot what he was doing with Casey and forgot all about Casey.

  15. #480
    Dark Dimension Clea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Actually, Waid forgot his own story... at the end of the mini, Casey was missing, but Strange had her soul.

    When she returned, her soul had somehow been lost. Go figure.
    Right. I was misremembering the story. It's been a while since I read it.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •