Page 4 of 109 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Reposting from last year's thread ... a cosplay version of the 90s outfit.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5940170...trange-costume
    I have seen this outfit in the comics---but why did doc change to it? Even his face looked different including hair and no mustache. Why the change to this look and why the change back? Just an artist rendition or some other reason?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

I'm in love.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

I'm in love.
    Indeed. The detail and work that went into that costume is fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I have seen this outfit in the comics---but why did doc change to it? Even his face looked different including hair and no mustache. Why the change to this look and why the change back? Just an artist rendition or some other reason?
    That was the "Lennon" costume, not this one. It was the culmination of the David Quinn era, which was meant to give Doc a new status quo. This page has some more detail about it:

https://benjaminherman.wordpress.com...ge-part-three/

Interestingly, one of his plans was to have Stephen found a school. What goes around…

Unfortunately, Marvel editorial wanted a different direction, so he was replaced on the book by newcomer Warren Ellis, who reset things by having Strange fight in a millenia-long magical war (offscreen). The Cloak was in tatters by then, so he transferred the spells to a rather nice trenchcoat, as seen here:

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That was the "Lennon" costume, not this one. It was the culmination of the David Quinn era, which was meant to give Doc a new status quo. This page has some more detail about it:

Interestingly, one of his plans was to have Stephen found a school. What goes around…

Unfortunately, Marvel editorial wanted a different direction, so he was replaced on the book by newcomer Warren Ellis, who reset things by having Strange fight in a millenia-long magical war (offscreen). The Cloak was in tatters by then, so he transferred the spells to a rather nice trenchcoat, as seen here:

As much as I loved what Ellis started (and the masterful JM DeMatteis finished), that transition from Sorcerer Supreme #79 to #80 was jarring, and unfair to Quinn who'd just spent the better part of 2 years setting things up.

That Buckingham art tho...!?!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thank you for the reply and with all the information. I always wondered about the different looks.

Dr Strange was floundering around as a comic with story runs being interrupted by big events causing quality an sale drops. so the only logical thing to do was to panic, take away most of his powers, have a new writer come in and change him dramatically, split him into three beings, give him new powers, then make him look like a teenage version of Eternity, fire the writer, have Strange leave the universe for a thousand years or so, but come back at the same point he left.

Dressed in this new outfit or shortly after dressed so. With new Chaos Magic powers. Then fire the new writer or have him leave in a tiff. Bring in new writer, but keep this costume, make his powers more like the old. Cancel comic anyway.

At some point artists forgot about the new look, didn't know about it, or it was considered out of fashion, this general appearance of long untucked shirt with overcoat (without the huge collar) was in fashion at the time. (as was a waistcoat version of it) Anyway they went back to versions of the classic costume.

Don't interrupt a post halfway with a snack

I'd forgotten about the dressing gown cloak and round sunglasses

I'm reading through the 1st Dr Strange Masterworks, having picked it up in the Comixology sale. I'd read some of the old Ditko stories before, but they're still cool. So many fixtures of Marvel's mystical side of things were created in those first issues.

Thank you for the reply and with all the information. I always wondered about the different looks.
    Neilalien has a great page on his various looks, although it's a bit out-of-date:

https://www.neilalien.com/doc/faces/

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Neilalien has a great page on his various looks, although it's a bit out-of-date:

https://www.neilalien.com/doc/faces/
    I love some of the descriptions. "Happy goatee face." "Utterly terrible." LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm reading through the 1st Dr Strange Masterworks, having picked it up in the Comixology sale. I'd read some of the old Ditko stories before, but they're still cool. So many fixtures of Marvel's mystical side of things were created in those first issues.
    They are great! I need to get back to the Readathon.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Heroes Initiative is doing another auction with creators doubling up on the art pieces. Here's a cool team up between Chris Bachalo and Neil Gaiman! Chris doing the art and Gaiman doing the poem.

Auction starts tomorrow, but Doctor Strange fans will have to wait till April for this piece to show up.

https://www.heroinitiative.org/portf...ions-auctions/

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Heroes Initiative is doing another auction with creators doubling up on the art pieces. Here's a cool team up between Chris Bachalo and Neil Gaiman! Chris doing the art and Gaiman doing the poem.

Auction starts tomorrow, but Doctor Strange fans will have to wait till April for this piece to show up.

https://www.heroinitiative.org/portf...ions-auctions/
    A Gaiman/Bachalo mini would be absolutely divine.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com