Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    A Gaiman/Bachalo mini would be absolutely divine.
    I'd definitely love to see Gaiman do a Doctor Strange book. Or story!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

A cool variant cover by Ian Bederman.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel 5 comes out next week and it features a story about Wong!

Gene Ha and Zander Cannon reveal an event-filled day in the life of Doctor Strange's associate, Wong,

I've been catching up on the old 70s Dr.Strange series, and I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed.

I swear 90% of the stories are roughly the same format.

Some demon/being from another dimension wants to break the barrier and come to Earth, possesses someone or something. Dr. Strange gets alerted and goes and defeats the villain.

What annoys me is how most of his villains just possess someone, they don't seem to do anything else.

But when the story diverted from that format, it was a breath of fresh air. Like when he went into the black mirror realm to save Wong, or when Dormammu went back in time to WW2 to help the Nazis, those stories were great.

I stopped around the Dracula story where they had to find The Darkhold....couldn't take it anymore. Maybe this is why Marvel doesn't do many Dracula stories, they are ridiculously boring. I'll finish the series eventually, but hope the 90s series is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I stopped around the Dracula story where they had to find The Darkhold....couldn't take it anymore. Maybe this is why Marvel doesn't do many Dracula stories, they are ridiculously boring. I'll finish the series eventually, but hope the 90s series is a lot better.
    You might want to finish that one... it has one Hell of an ending.

"Nosmo cobis...holo erasma rabis...katerama lucem..."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Any rumors on who will be launching a new Dr. Strange book before the new movie launches?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Closest I can think of is the upcoming Defenders project.

Any rumors on who will be launching a new Dr. Strange book before the new movie launches?
    I don't know if I actually read it, or if it is wishful thinking, but I thought it is supposed to be a big name creative team. I'm just not sure who that would be? Maybe some DC refugees?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Closest I can think of is the upcoming Defenders project.
    I think we'll be getting something beyond that, i.e. a solo book. I can't see Marvel NOT doing one for an MCU lead character.

I've been catching up on the old 70s Dr.Strange series, and I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed.

I swear 90% of the stories are roughly the same format.

Some demon/being from another dimension wants to break the barrier and come to Earth, possesses someone or something. Dr. Strange gets alerted and goes and defeats the villain.

What annoys me is how most of his villains just possess someone, they don't seem to do anything else.

But when the story diverted from that format, it was a breath of fresh air. Like when he went into the black mirror realm to save Wong, or when Dormammu went back in time to WW2 to help the Nazis, those stories were great.

Wait. Are you speaking of the Englehart and Brunner run???

Boring Dracula stories in the 1970s??? Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan's Dracula?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    You might want to finish that one... it has one Hell of an ending.

"Nosmo cobis...holo erasma rabis...katerama lucem..."
    LOL! Yes indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wait. Are you speaking of the Englehart and Brunner run???

Boring Dracula stories in the 1970s??? Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan's Dracula?

Yeah that's the one. It seems people just label everything 70s Marvel classic. I just don't get it.

If you've read Strange Tales Stan Lee did a much better job with the villains and the variety in his stories, the villains didn't just go around possessing people every single story. I mean, the character exposition parts were great, but every time it would get interrupted by some demon from another realm possessing someone, something, or some furniture. It's annoying and repetitive.

Yeah that's the one. It seems people just label everything 70s Marvel classic. I just don't get it.

If you've read Strange Tales Stan Lee did a much better job with the villains and the variety in his stories, the villains didn't just go around possessing people every single story. I mean, the character exposition parts were great, but every time it would get interrupted by some demon from another realm possessing someone, something, or some furniture. It's annoying and repetitive.
    Well, we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. I LOVE both of those runs. For me, the Wolfman Colan Dracula is THE Dracula, across all medium. The shadowy style, the characterization, the incorporation of the novel and lore -- it really made an impression on me.

And the Englehart Brunner Doctor Strange run is amazing. It revitalized the character, in many ways.

I have read the Stan Lee Steve Ditko Doctor Strange run, and of course it does a good job with the villains -- it was setting up the world. But seriously, Shuma Gorath is no slouch in the villain department. The 70s Doctor Strange run villains were more horror and magical, IMO, than Lee and Ditko, which still had the trappings of superhero villains.

As far as the possession goes ... that's just a trope / tradition of demons. They work through humans, mainly through possession.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Shuma Gorath, Sise Neg, the Dracula/Strange crossover, Eternity, Umar, absolutely classic.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Shuma Gorath, Sise Neg, the Dracula/Strange crossover, Eternity, Umar, absolutely classic.
    Yes, yes, YES!

Man, I hope we get an announcement for the new Doctor Strange book soon. I also hope it is someone how wants to LEAN into the cool magic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yes, yes, YES!

Man, I hope we get an announcement for the new Doctor Strange book soon. I also hope it is someone how wants to LEAN into the cool magic stuff.
    Indeed, because with all of these great characters and potent evil forces, E-616 needs its Sorcerer Supreme!!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

zelma vs casey.jpg

Btw, is Strange Academy worth checking out?