Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Death: Get your ass over here, time for a Maria and dead Jesus pose!
    Well, how many characters have that "Death holding Mar-Vell" cover at this point?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Personally I think the best thing they could do with Strange right now would be to kill him off (temporarily), pass the Sorcerer Supreme title on to Illyana Rasputin, and then resurrect Strange in a year or so in a manner in which he could never be Sorcerer Supreme again. Then he could go back to being Doctor Strange, Avenger/Random Magic User Dude. Problem solved.
    Illyana wouldn't work as a permanent Sorcerer Supremer because of her nature as an X-character first and foremost. The X-Office would never give her up to the magic side of Marvel completely, and a Sorcerer Supreme can't just take long breaks from the magic world so they can get involved in whatever the X-Men are involved at the moment. It's the reason why Storm was never going to be queen of Wakanda forever. Some characters just cannot commit to certain roles outside of their franchises. If they gave the SS role to Yana, she would be it until the X-Office feels like that is an inconvenience to their stories, then they would find a way to take that away from her as soon as they can. If Marvel wants a new Sorcerer Supreme and they want it to stick, it has to be someone who can be on the mystical side of the MU 100%.

You know who I would like to see as Sorcerer Supreme? Ian McNee. He's the perfect mix of being established enough in the mystical side, but also being minor enough that they'd have creative liberty to do whatever they wanted with him. His whole brief Marvel story is being a disgraced, forgotten mage who challenged Doctor Strange for the title, lost and then faded into obscurity. Maybe it's time to bring him back and let him have his time on the sun. I loved him in the Mystic Arcana miniseries.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-05-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    You know who I would like to see as Sorcerer Supreme? Ian McNee. He's the perfect mix of being established enough in the mystical side, but also being minor enough that they'd have creative liberty to do whatever they wanted with him. His whole brief Marvel story is being a disgraced, forgotten mage who challenged Doctor Strange for the title, lost and then faded into obscurity. Maybe it's time to bring him back and let him have his time on the sun. I loved him in the Mystic Arcana miniseries.
    Wow. Someone else remembers Ian!

I guess we'll probably get a new book with whoever takes over.

Meanwhile, Doc will continue to appear in "The Defenders" starting in August.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...1-announcement

Written by Jed MacKay (BLACK CAT, MOON KNIGHT) with Lee Garbett (CAPTAIN MARVEL), DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE will be a five-issue epic that will tell the final chapter in the life of Doctor Strange. Able to defeat supernatural and interdimensional threats no other hero is equipped to handle, Strange was the only hero standing in the way of powerful new villains eager to claim Earth as their own. When he unexpectedly dies, who is left to protect Earth and keep the mystical evils at bay? And most importantly…who killed Stephen Strange? If he couldn’t stop them, who can? This rousing journey will dive into the mythos behind Doctor Strange, showcasing his unique—and vital—position amongst Marvel’s heroes and ultimately transform the future.
    MacKay is doing pretty good job these days, so I am hopeful about the quality at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post

MacKay is doing pretty good job these days, so I am hopeful about the quality at the very least.
    Meh. The whole premise is ridiculous. What's the difference between "Doctor Strange is dead" and "Doctor Strange doesn't have his magic?"

Either way, he was unavailable to defend the universe under his protection... and other people stepped up.

I'm not for characters being killed off. It's been done too much to matter.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

How odd. This is the preview I saw.
    (apologies for the sloppy MS Paint job)

OBzigThf_o.jpg
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...1-announcement

Does anyone even want this? It's the laziest way of dealing with a character. Just kill them. Every time they say it's a mistake and they shouldn't do it but work on fixing the character (any character) and then they end up doing stuff like this. I just don't get it.

McKay's a good writer but this seems so sudden and out-of-nowhere, apparently it even starts with him dead from the beginning, so I'm just not sure what they're going for with this.

It feels editorially mandated and it's just hard to take a "death" storyline seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Does anyone even want this? It's the laziest way of dealing with a character. Just kill them. Every time they say it's a mistake and they shouldn't do it but work on fixing the character (any character) and then they end up doing stuff like this. I just don't get it.
    I have a hard time believing that Marvel will permanently kill Strange right before his next movie debuts. That would be a real buzzkill for the film. Maybe it's just a tie-in to their new Infinity Stones event. Maybe it's meant to be jazzed up reminder for readers who are only familiar with Avengers!Strange that Sorcerer Supreme!Strange actually plans a significant role in the MU. Kill off Strange then use that opportunity to show that he is the only character equipped to fight cosmic-level mystical foes, then bring him back (immediately or a year from now - Marvel wouldn't care either way). Who knows.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I'm sorry. Solid team but no, this is a stupid idea from a creatively bankrupt editorial term who's all in on Mutants and not much else.

I wish this thing bombs because Marvel seems dead set on gimmicks rather than telling a story that's been done over and over.

Boy, I keep wishing that Feige taking over the books was true.

Get Christopher Priest to write the new Dr. Strange series, and focus on lots of spirituality themes. Invent all new villains and adversaries. Bring along some allies.

The fact that most people think Illyana should be the next SS is probably, this is just a guess, why it wouldn’t be her. Marvel would try to go for something unpredictable by giving it to a character that nobody would dare associate that title with. Even though like everyone has said this would be just a temporary absence for Strange, or a fake out if they are really lazy(crossing my fingers pleading they aren’t).
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!