Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Attachment 107292

Btw, is Strange Academy worth checking out?
    I’m enjoying it. It’s fun and reasonably light hearted, but I find it’s a big breath of fresh air to my usual pull list which seems to be pretty dark.
    There’s not too much of Stephen, though, so I wouldn’t get it if you wanted to see lots of him.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I’m enjoying it. It’s fun and reasonably light hearted, but I find it’s a big breath of fresh air to my usual pull list which seems to be pretty dark.
    There’s not too much of Stephen, though, so I wouldn’t get it if you wanted to see lots of him.
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

Yeah, I am actually binge reading lots of Dr. Strange right now lol.
    I've read
    - The Oath
    - 2010 mini series by Waid
    - Aaron/Cates run
    - Waid run

want to read:
    - Surgeon Supreme
    - Strange Academy

What Dr. Strange stories/arcs/issues/runs would you recommend me from before the 2000s?

What Dr. Strange stories/arcs/issues/runs would you recommend me from before the 2000s?
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. Not only a great Doctor Strange tale, but one of my favorite takes on Doctor Doom. Plus, some lovely early Mike Mignola arty.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. Not only a great Doctor Strange tale, but one of my favorite takes on Doctor Doom. Plus, some lovely early Mike Mignola arty.
    I've added it to my list! Thanks for the good recommendation!
    I've forgotten to mention that I've read Dr. Strange 4-issue mini from 1999 as well...it was a bit weird, but I liked it.

I absolutely loved Nightmare (1994) mini, now that's a stellar story.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I've added it to my list! Thanks for the good recommendation!
    I've forgotten to mention that I've read Dr. Strange 4-issue mini from 1999 as well...it was a bit weird, but I liked it.

I absolutely loved Nightmare (1994) mini, now that's a stellar story.

Wasn't aware of that Nightmare mini-series. By Anne Nocenti and Joe Bennett! Looks very interesting. Will have to check it out.

I have to second the TRIUMPH AND TORMENT recommendation. It's great!

A bit trippy, but gorgeous, is INTO SHAMBALA, another OGN.

Also, here's a list of Greatest Doctor Strange stories that Cronin compiled a few years ago, which I think CBR members voted on.

https://www.cbr.com/the-greatest-doc...ies-ever-told/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Did anyone here read Captain Marvel this week? spoilers:
    Carol and Stephen end up sleeping together.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    end of spoilers
    ...I'm not completely against it but it feels random.

I wonder if Clea will ever get her memories back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    end of spoilers
    I honestly wasn’t too surprised to be honest it’s a jaw dropper but I feel like we kind of got hints with the cover of the next issue who spoilers:
    I thought honestly was some elseworld daughter for Strange/Carol given the whole premise of Ove and the different costume it made sense to me. Kelly Thompson seemed to enjoy writing Dr. Strange in her freaky Friday story. Whatever this ends up being though it’ll obviously not be long term. Carol’s relationships usually aren’t outside Rhodey surprisingly but that might be due to the nature of her title usually not having as much longevity that relationship even lasted long. On a business standpoint I think it was a smart move Dr. Strange is on a lot of minds lately given Multiverse of Madness is around the corner. I’m still hoping somethings done with Night Nurse I loved the Oath story and I’m curious to see Christine Palmer take on that role
    end of spoilers

I’m honestly glad that Kelly Thompson remembered the fact Stephen is back to being a surgeon to. So im
    assuming she did some reading up on him. Or payed attention to his most recent solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wasn't aware of that Nightmare mini-series. By Anne Nocenti and Joe Bennett! Looks very interesting. Will have to check it out.

I have to second the TRIUMPH AND TORMENT recommendation. It's great!

A bit trippy, but gorgeous, is INTO SHAMBALA, another OGN.

Also, here's a list of Greatest Doctor Strange stories that Cronin compiled a few years ago, which I think CBR members voted on.

https://www.cbr.com/the-greatest-doc...ies-ever-told/
    That list is really solid. I would probably add the strange tales vol. 2 stories especially the last few issues that culminated in him teaming up with Kaluu against Shuma Gorath.

Nice to see someone who also liked "Into Shambala". I remember also kind of liking "The Way to Dusty Death" OGN where he teamed up with Spider-Man.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It's a pity SA is not getting much traction here. It really is a consistently enjoyable read month after month. Issue 9 was a perfect blend and balance of humour and darkness with complex and distinctive characterisations.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out who Dessa's father was.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

I mean, I guess Carol and Rhodey kind of broke up at the end of last arc, so she having a new date makes sense?
    But Strange is a Strange choice, even though Stephen's probably a really attractive man.

I've read
    - The Oath
    - 2010 mini series by Waid
    - Aaron/Cates run
    - Waid run

want to read:
    - Surgeon Supreme
    - Strange Academy

Man, Surgeon Supreme ended way to prematurely! It was really good.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

I've read
    - The Oath

want to read:
    - Surgeon Supreme
    - Strange Academy

My only issue with Strange Academy is some of the characterization feels like it would be off given the background of the students. Mainly the Asgardian twins turned to American jocks. Other then that in my opinion it’s a really good book and I’m hoping that even if doesn’t last it’s still something that’s kept in-universe. I could definitely see a show being adapted off the premise of the book. It’s basically Harry Potter and that show that spinned off the CW from the Originals

The Oath is really good too

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Man, Surgeon Supreme ended way to prematurely! It was really good.
    Definitely second this, I loved the premise it was something new and refreshing. I’m hoping when Dr. strange eventually gets a title again we’ll still get the surgeon side of things

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

My take on Iric and Alvi...and all the students actually, regardless of their origins, is that....teenagers will be teenagers. Sure, some personalities would be intrinsically shaped by their environment, like Dessy but...teens will Teen.

And speaking of Dessy...and Zoe...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

STRANGE ACADEMY started out fun for me, but the sheer amount of angst & trauma each new student backstory brings to the table has become tiresome.

And did we REALLY need two students killed off (however temporarily) in less than a year?