Page 61 of 109 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    And we don't have Dr Strange on this? Hmmmm. Yet, Ewing is also doing the Doctor Strange Defenders book. Hmmmmm.
    Ewing should take a crack at a Strange ongoing after his death is reversed.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ewing should take a crack at a Strange ongoing after his death is reversed.
    I'm definitely looking forward to what he's going to do with Strange on his Defenders book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I may hate the idea or the series itself, but it sure is gathering some beautiful covers.

https://twitter.com/peachmomoko60/st...416384014?s=20

And they are making this one a poster, which I had to order.

As it actually reminds me of this cover.

Last edited by Reviresco; 07-01-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Well, hopefully Wanda, Stephen and Spidey can hold a ghost party together in time for Halloween.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Well, hopefully Wanda, Stephen and Spidey can hold a ghost party together in time for Halloween.
    Including Bats, of course.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Including Bats, of course.
    Yes, more Bats please!
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Ewing on Dr Strange is a dream come true. I’d read it for years and years.

I just want to have something clarified. Stephen has NO innate magical powers right? And his mystical abilities were NOT bestowed upon him by gods and artifacts, correct? He learned his skills PURELY by being TAUGHT by others I assume? I was just thinking how in the MCU, Lady Loki and Wanda were sort of "self-taught" magicians. I've read some comments online that kinda don't like that. I've watched some videos say basically the same thing. That by mastering magic without actually studying and learning it (and relying on natural talent alone) feels "cheap" and "lazy". I must say that I agree with that opinion. It's like when I practice to get better at guitar playing. The time, effort, and money I put into it are "costs" so to speak. I think magical training should be treated the same way.

This young lady did a pretty good job of describing how to create a good magic system:

https://writersedit.com/fiction-writ...fantasy-novel/

The MCU seems to be doing a lot of what she has recommended.

Extraordinary Member

There are races in fantasy series with natural magic abilities. It's a common trope, I honestly don't think it's lazy. If you are bloody half demon or a member of some other mythological creature, yeah, you definitely should have innate magic power.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    There are races in fantasy series with natural magic abilities. It's a common trope, I honestly don't think it's lazy. If you are bloody half demon or a member of some other mythological creature, yeah, you definitely should have innate magic power.
    I agree with you.

It's perfectly acceptable within the MU for some beings to have innate, magical abilities, or for others to have an inborn pre-disposition to master magical skills. It's also just as normal in the MU for some to have to study for years and learn how to open and focus their minds first before they can master and and practice magic. Magic exists in many different forms in Marvel and each is equally valid. None of it is 'lazy' writing or poor storytelling. One form of magic is not superior to another. They're simply different.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I just want to have something clarified. Stephen has NO innate magical powers right? And his mystical abilities were NOT bestowed upon him by gods and artifacts, correct? He learned his skills PURELY by being TAUGHT by others I assume? I was just thinking how in the MCU, Lady Loki and Wanda were sort of "self-taught" magicians. I've read some comments online that kinda don't like that. I've watched some videos say basically the same thing. That by mastering magic without actually studying and learning it (and relying on natural talent alone) feels "cheap" and "lazy". I must say that I agree with that opinion. It's like when I practice to get better at guitar playing. The time, effort, and money I put into it are "costs" so to speak. I think magical training should be treated the same way.

This young lady did a pretty good job of describing how to create a good magic system:

https://writersedit.com/fiction-writ...fantasy-novel/

The MCU seems to be doing a lot of what she has recommended.
    I don't know this person. Is she a writer for any Marvel movie? Does she have a published fantasy novel? Instead of reading all these prospective BOOK writers _talking_ about creating a magic system for their non-shared universes, I suggest reading some actual Doctor Strange COMICS. Books are NOT comics and both are NOT video mediums. The Marvel Universe is a shared universe, that has been created by multiple, multiple, multiple writers and artists and editors over sixty years. Each of these creators have added and subtracted to subject of magic in the Marvel Universe. It's impossible for magic in the MU to be consistently and rigidly nailed down to these single creator "good" systems and rules (for other medium) that you post about. TBH, I don't think these systems ARE that good for a Sorcerer Supreme facing multi dimensional threats. Most of these you post treat magic as homogeneous and mono-cultural and usually hominid.

Stephen Strange does have an innate TALENT for magic -- and for surgery. Whether he has innate "magical powers" is probably something that could be argued, but I think they are powers that many people have, they just haven't developed, like Astral Projection or the Third Eye. He does have mystical abilities conferred by artifacts (it's what an artifact can do), but not in a way that suddenly made him a magician. And yes, he was taught by the Ancient One for a time, but he's been teaching himself every since then.

How does being self-taught equal NOT studying or practicing or learning??? Successful self-taught people probably practice as much if not more than those with teachers. Your critique of Sylvie Loki is flawed and somewhat sexist. I mean, you're complaining about female Loki's "cheap and lazy" self-taught enchantments, but you're fine with male Loki being able to use the same enchantments against Alioth instantly with ZERO study, teaching (self or by others), or practice?

Sylvie Loki was been practicing and learning her magical skills since she the TVA tried to prune her as a child. IIRC, that length of time was not specified, but clearly, it was a couple of decades at least, learning and practicing her magic.

Sylvie Loki is also NOT human. She's as innately magical or "divine" as the rest of the Lokis / Asgardians / Frost Giants. Do you think Classical Loki, Kid Loki, Alligator Loki, Boastful Loki, and President Loki are "cheap and lazy" magic users? Cause none of them revealed they had a teacher or that they had practiced and studied X number of years to master their magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't know this person. Is she a writer for any Marvel movie? Does she have a published fantasy novel? Instead of reading all these prospective BOOK writers _talking_ about creating a magic system for their non-shared universes, I suggest reading some actual Doctor Strange COMICS. Books are NOT comics and both are NOT video mediums. The Marvel Universe is a shared universe, that has been created by multiple, multiple, multiple writers and artists and editors over sixty years. Each of these creators have added and subtracted to subject of magic in the Marvel Universe. It's impossible for magic in the MU to be consistently and rigidly nailed down to these single creator "good" systems and rules (for other medium) that you post about. TBH, I don't think these systems ARE that good for a Sorcerer Supreme facing multi dimensional threats. Most of these you post treat magic as homogeneous and mono-cultural and usually hominid....
    It is important to actually read the comics for yourself before critiquing them, I agree. Otherwise, it's like forming an opinion about a movie based only on movie reviews, online chat sites, and books about screenwriting.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member

Marvel has been trying to implement rules for magic since Strange got another shot at a title in 2015. Before then magic was something that people either had a natural predisposition or simple aptitude for it. Now you have the explanation that it incurs a cost.

If it were me, I would have magic being fueled by a person's life force or external force upon which the user can harness. It would explain why Strange needed to endure the test to become Sorcerer Supreme and get the Anhk of Enduring Life. It would also explain why powerful mystic artifacts are kept by sorcerers supreme (to use the magic of them instead of life).

I agree with you.

It's perfectly acceptable within the MU for some beings to have innate, magical abilities, or for others to have an inborn pre-disposition to master magical skills. It's also just as normal in the MU for some to have to study for years and learn how to open and focus their minds first before they can master and and practice magic. Magic exists in many different forms in Marvel and each is equally valid. None of it is 'lazy' writing or poor storytelling. One form of magic is not superior to another. They're simply different.
    This! So many of these 'rules' or magic systems act like there's only ONE way to do magic. Every culture has it's own take on magic and how to use it and it's limits. There is no one single rule that applies on Earth, much less throughout the multiverse.

It is important to actually read the comics for yourself before critiquing them, I agree. Otherwise, it's like forming an opinion about a movie based only on movie reviews, online chat sites, and books about screenwriting.
    I agree. Just started the Waid and Saiz run, Strange in Space, and it seems to suggest there IS some innate magic or ability for Doctor Strange. The art gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Marvel has been trying to implement rules for magic since Strange got another shot at a title in 2015. Before then magic was something that people either had a natural predisposition or simple aptitude for it. Now you have the explanation that it incurs a cost.

If it were me, I would have magic being fueled by a person's life force or external force upon which the user can harness. It would explain why Strange needed to endure the test to become Sorcerer Supreme and get the Anhk of Enduring Life. It would also explain why powerful mystic artifacts are kept by sorcerers supreme (to use the magic of them instead of life).
    I'm not sure why Marvel's new thing with Doctor Strange is to focus on the 'rules' of magic, especially given it's double standard with 'science', but that's also the feeling I get.

I think there's always been an element of endurance to using magic in the MU. I mean, it takes a physical and mental toll. If it actually took years off your life, I have to think there would very few magic users. O_O

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Oh, I agree. It's common. I'm merely noting that it IS noteworthy that Stephen is one of the few magic users in fiction who wasn't born with any kind of powers (except having a high level IQ. And that's not really unusual). I like magic users with innate powers, but the ones who gain their mystical skills by learning and training alone are just a LITTLE bit more interesting to me. Merely my opinion.