Page 7 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

So does Strange Academy basically take the place of a Dr. Strange solo book? Does keeping him in this youth team (mentor) setting keep him out there on shelves, at least?

I must confess I know very LITTLE about Doctor Strange and magic in general in the Marvel Universe. But I have gotten a LOT more curious about the mystical arts ever since I saw Stephen in the movies. And that's largely because of HOW he used his magic. The reality warping and mind-bending **** was straight up my alley. I mean those trippy visuals in Strange's debut movie DEFINITELY made up for his Starkian formulaic origin story. The whole thing with hands coming out of his hands was so awesome. That's the first time I've EVER seen reality warping in live action. And I wanna see more of it in his sequel. In my experience, magic in science fiction and fantasy LARGELY involve a LOT of beams. Which IS very cool looking and interesting, but I would like even more variety when people use magic in fiction:

https://slate.com/culture/2021/03/wa...c-battles.html

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeamOWar

So tell me, Doctor Strange's magic is "controlled" right? Are there any rules to it? Can he create life and raise folks from the dead? Any information you could share with me would be great. I come from the more science-fiction-y corner of the Marvel Universe. I know almost next to nothing about Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and H.P. Lovecraft. I lean towards the science fiction of Gene Roddenberry and Ray Bradbury.

Plus, was Strange always such an arrogant dick in the comic books?! I love his personality in the films. Very much like Stark who was my favorite character in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    So tell me, Doctor Strange's magic is "controlled" right? Are there any rules to it? Can he create life and raise folks from the dead? Any information you could share with me would be great. I come from the more science-fiction-y corner of the Marvel Universe. I know almost next to nothing about Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and H.P. Lovecraft. I lean towards the science fiction of Gene Roddenberry and Ray Bradbury.
    I'm not sure what the current rules are, but this stuff was canon for the longest time:

http://www.marvunapp.com/ohotmu/appendixes/magapp.htm

Plus, was Strange always such an arrogant dick in the comic books?! I love his personality in the films. Very much like Stark who was my favorite character in the MCU.
    At the beginning, yeah. His origin in the movie was pretty close to the comics. Later on he mellowed, but he backslides whenever a new writer wants to do a deconstruction arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So does Strange Academy basically take the place of a Dr. Strange solo book? Does keeping him in this youth team (mentor) setting keep him out there on shelves, at least?
    I don’t think Strange Academy is suppose to replace or act as a place for Strange to show up. It’s more like training the next generation of sorcerers on how to do magic more than anything else. It’s rotating teachers as well.

BANNED

Don’t know if this helps

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'm not sure what the current rules are, but this stuff was canon for the longest time:

http://www.marvunapp.com/ohotmu/appendixes/magapp.htm

At the beginning, yeah. His origin in the movie was pretty close to the comics. Later on he mellowed, but he backslides whenever a new writer wants to do a deconstruction arc.
    I'll do the necessary reading. Thank you for that reference. My problem with magic is that often times, there are NO rules. Sorcerers and witches (is there a difference between them besides genders?) just use their "imagination" and make **** up as they go along. At least in science fiction, a lot of the stories are based on scientific facts (to a certain extent). I think that's why the MCU has largely based their "magic" on science thus far. Which I kinda like. I vaguely remember Strange being quite a womanizer back in the day. That will never happen in Disney movies. I always thought Clea was pretty hot though. Her sartorial choices were often highly questionable, but she always seemed to be a nice girl to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post

Don’t know if this helps
    Wow! This is pretty interesting. I hope this is not the ONLY video discussing the uses of magic in the Marvel Universe out there. So Strange wasn't "born" with magical abilities, right? He was taught, like in his movie. It's a wonder how these comic book writers can keep up with this stuff!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.

BANNED

Honestly I have no idea myself as far as I’m aware he was a human who was taught magic there could of been stuff that happened after his origin that went in depth to why he was chosen to be the Sorcerer Supreme or why he’s suppose to be the best of the best in regards to magic but I wouldn’t know.

I also think classic Strange was said to be pretty broken and would practically be a reality warper modern day they have it where magic works by everything has a cost. Which seems how magic is played across the mediums of film and tv now adays.

I'll do the necessary reading. Thank you for that reference. My problem with magic is that often times, there are NO rules. Sorcerers and witches (is there a difference between them besides genders?) just use their "imagination" and make **** up as they go along. At least in science fiction, a lot of the stories are based on scientific facts (to a certain extent). I think that's why the MCU has largely based their "magic" on science thus far. Which I kinda like. I vaguely remember Strange being quite a womanizer back in the day. That will never happen in Disney movies. I always thought Clea was pretty hot though. Her sartorial choices were often highly questionable, but she always seemed to be a nice girl to me.
    The womanizer bit really wasn't a thing until 2011, and the Matt Fraction DEFENDERS run. Sadly, it seems to have taken root.

In his heyday in the '80s, he usually had only a single love interest, although there was a time when a bit of a love triangle was set up with him, Clea, and Morgana Blessing.

I think the only rule Marvel uses in the comics nowadays is that "magic has a price", which I never particularly liked, especially the way Aaron handled it in his run.

Honestly I have no idea myself as far as I’m aware he was a human who was taught magic there could of been stuff that happened after his origin that went in depth to why he was chosen to be the Sorcerer Supreme or why he’s suppose to be the best of the best in regards to magic but I wouldn’t know.

I also think classic Strange was said to be pretty broken and would practically be a reality warper modern day they have it where magic works by everything has a cost. Which seems how magic is played across the mediums of film and tv now adays.
    It seems in order to understand magic, you have to be fluent in Latin and Sanskrit as well. Which can be challenging. I figured it was Stephen's "destiny" to become the Sorcerer Supreme, but maybe it boiled down to just dumb luck. I actually kind of like the idea of costs being associated with the use of magic. It limits users from becoming invincible. I kind of understand why writers would want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The womanizer bit really wasn't a thing until 2011, and the Matt Fraction DEFENDERS run. Sadly, it seems to have taken root.

In his heyday in the '80s, he usually had only a single love interest, although there was a time when a bit of a love triangle was set up with him, Clea, and Morgana Blessing.

I think the only rule Marvel uses in the comics nowadays is that "magic has a price", which I never particularly liked, especially the way Aaron handled it in his run.
    I think the comic books AND the movies/shows like the idea of Strange becoming a magical "quippy" and "snarky" version of Stark. And I can see why they would do this. RDJ's Tony became EXTREMELY popular largely because of that kind of personality. And I can easily see Cumberbatch duplicating that in the future as well. Tony was a womanizer in the comic books and in that first pre-Disney Iron Man movie, so I can see why Mr. Fraction might have been influenced by that portrayal. I'm just really surprised Marvel Studios is leaning so HEAVILY on Strange for future movies and shows. Magic has never been too prominent a part of the comic books as far as I can recall and up until very recently the MCU called science and magic one and the same thing!

BANNED

I’m honestly not surprised the future phases seem to have Dr. Strange at the forefront. I think the fact that magic wasn’t used as heavy and it’s still a bit of a unknown quantity is what they’re banking on giving a lot of people interest. You for example seem to be full of questions and the portrayal of Dr. Strange vs Thanos seemed to be getting people wanting more not to mention Wanda, her capabilities and the show. I’d honestly expect Multiverse of Madness to be the most hyped movie right now.

I think a lot of people are speculating a rivalry between Doom/Dr. Strange as well. Which all of that just sounds like a bunch of potential that I think the powers that be see.

I honestly expected the next phase of movies after the passing of the original big three to push Dr. Strange, Capt. Marvel and Black Panther (Rest in peace Chadwick) to the forefront. All of them having a area where they specialize in with Strange being magic, Carol spending most of her time and space so representing the cosmic side, and Panther in a way being in that position Stark was in with technology and money but at the same time as strategic and leading as Capt. America.

BANNED

It seems in order to understand magic, you have to be fluent in Latin and Sanskrit as well. Which can be challenging. I figured it was Stephen's "destiny" to become the Sorcerer Supreme, but maybe it boiled down to just dumb luck. I actually kind of like the idea of costs being associated with the use of magic. It limits users from becoming invincible. I kind of understand why writers would want to do this.
    ONE writer suggested Stephen was destined to be Sorceror Supreme, but that was J.M. Dematteis, who rather enjoys his Chosen One narratives. There's a fellow name PTOR who had a lot to say on the subject:

http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspo...doctor_09.html

...up until very recently the MCU called science and magic one and the same thing!
    Honestly, I think that's been blown out of proportion. Yeah, they said that in THOR, but at the same time you had semi-intelligent unliftable hammers, shapeshifting half-giants, and whatever the Hel the Destroyer is. If anything, it was used as a metaphor, not an explanation.

I’m honestly not surprised the future phases seem to have Dr. Strange at the forefront. I think the fact that magic wasn’t used as heavy and it’s still a bit of a unknown quantity is what they’re banking on giving a lot of people interest. You for example seem to be full of questions and the portrayal of Dr. Strange vs Thanos seemed to be getting people wanting more not to mention Wanda, her capabilities and the show. I’d honestly expect Multiverse of Madness to be the most hyped movie right now.

I think a lot of people are speculating a rivalry between Doom/Dr. Strange as well. Which all of that just sounds like a bunch of potential that I think the powers that be see.

I honestly expected the next phase of movies after the passing of the original big three to push Dr. Strange, Capt. Marvel and Black Panther (Rest in peace Chadwick) to the forefront. All of them having a area where they specialize in with Strange being magic, Carol spending most of her time and space so representing the cosmic side, and Panther in a way being in that position Stark was in with technology and money but at the same time as strategic and leading as Capt. America.
    I totally agree with your assessment. It's just weird to me that Marvel is pushing magic so hard in the movies right now because from what I understand, in the comic books, it's not really a HUGE part of that universe. Science fiction and crime stories almost ALWAYS took precedence there from my experience. But Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Black Panther look like they'll be huge parts of the MCU going forward. Wonder how Thor will factor in future projects. And it's strange to me that the MCU has had so many cosmic adventures WITHOUT the Silver Surfer. He was such a big deal in that part of the universe when I was reading comics back in the 90s.