Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1630

Ultimates˛ #100 has the best description:

Last edited by DigiCom; 07-24-2021 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Ultimates˛ #100 has the best description:...
    Thanks, DigiCom! That's lovely artwork. I am definitely going to find this series and read it before the Defenders book is released so that I can catch up.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

That's perfect, DigiCom!

Interesting note on the Fourth Cosmos. And IIRC, Phantom Rider is supposed to wearing the Eternity Mask. Ewing is definitely tying up a few hints he dropped earlier.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I'm pretty sure this is the Hidden Gem variant cover for Death of Doctor Strange 1. Garbett said it was an unused cover by Colan, but I'm thinking it was an interior panel / page from an issue. Anyone recognize it?

Also, continuing the Stephen Reading theme ... by Mel Uran.

https://twitter.com/ARTPHOBOS
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

That's based on the cover to Alter Ego #6, an old trade magazine:

The issue itself states that it was intended for Doctor Strange #180 in 1969, but was unused (possibly because it was temporarily lost in the mail).

Cool!

Did some digging and here's the cover they used instead.

It was literally pieced together from previous panels, according to this blogpost.

https://50yearoldcomics.com/2019/02/...-180-may-1969/

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Although it doesn't follow the Doctor Strange Reading theme, I'd like to post this fan art here bc it's funny

https://twitter.com/BriannaCherry/st...17077716369414
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 07-26-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

That's cute!

All-New Member

I recently read Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo’s Doctor Strange run and I loved it. It left me wanting more! In particular I loved Bachalo’s artwork, I spent a lot of time pouring over the details and taking it all in.

Can you tell me pls that in the comics how old Strange is?
    Also, which comic book runs would you recommend?

Thanks!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Can you tell me pls that in the comics how old Strange is?
    Also, which comic book runs would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Personally, I think he's somewhere between 40-45 years old. I don't believe that Strange's age in the comics is ever explicitly mentioned. He was born in 1930 in the comics. However, if you calculate how long it takes someone to become a neurosurgeon, that gives you a good jumping off point. Let's assume he graduated high school at age 18. He'd need an undergraduate degree (4 years), 4 years of med school, and 5-7 years of surgical residency just to become a neurosurgeon. His character bio said that he completed his med school in record time (I don't recall how quickly, if it was ever explicitly stated) and spent 5 years as a resident. That would put him at ~30 years old when he was certified to be a neurosurgeon. He practiced medicine for a few years before his accident in 1963 (age 33). He bummed around feeling sorry for himself for a while then went to Kamar-Taj and spent years studying with the Ancient One. How many years?? I don't recall. He's spent a couple of years at least as Master of the Mystic Arts/Sorcerer Supreme. Thanks to Marvel's sliding time scale, we'll never really know. If you add in the 5,000 years he spent off earth in the War of the Seven Spheres, he's ~5,045 years old.

As for which comic book runs to recommend...which have you read (if any) so far? Do you mind reading Silver Age style dialogue which can be really stylized and a bit clunky, or do you like more modern style of dialogue?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Personally, I think he's somewhere between 40-45 years old. I don't believe that Strange's age in the comics is ever explicitly mentioned. He was born in 1930 in the comics. However, if you calculate how long it takes someone to become a neurosurgeon, that gives you a good jumping off point. Let's assume he graduated high school at age 18. He'd need an undergraduate degree (4 years), 4 years of med school, and 5-7 years of surgical residency just to become a neurosurgeon. His character bio said that he completed his med school in record time (I don't recall how quickly, if it was ever explicitly stated) and spent 5 years as a resident. That would put him at ~30 years old when he was certified to be a neurosurgeon. He practiced medicine for a few years before his accident in 1963 (age 33). He bummed around feeling sorry for himself for a while then went to Kamar-Taj and spent years studying with the Ancient One. How many years?? I don't recall. He's spent a couple of years at least as Master of the Mystic Arts/Sorcerer Supreme. Thanks to Marvel's sliding time scale, we'll never really know. If you add in the 5,000 years he spent off earth in the War of the Seven Spheres, he's ~5,045 years old.

As for which comic book runs to recommend...which have you read (if any) so far? Do you mind reading Silver Age style dialogue which can be really stylized and a bit clunky, or do you like more modern style of dialogue?
    I see, so Stephen is 'timeless'.

To be honest, I haven't read anything so far, but I'm gonna read these two stories/arcs bc I've managed to buy them: Doctor Strange: The Oath; Strange Tales 130-146. - I already know I'm really gonna enjoy the heck out of them bc the art is amazing.

Actually you can recommend anything, I'm dying for some good stories and stellar art!

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    There's another school of thought about that, which suggests he started his career much longer ago:

http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspo...doctor_23.html

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    There's another school of thought about that, which suggests he started his career much longer ago:

http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspo...doctor_23.html
    He is speculating about disconnected instances that don't actually confirm that Strange was a practicing doctor/sorcerer for decades before we saw him in his own stories. I understand the allure of wanting to make Strange seem even more mysterious and timeless than he already is. I just feel that what we've been given to work with is already enough proof that Strange is a man who is living out of time. Strange was born in 1930. That makes him nearly 100 years old already per comics canon. He conquered death and is essentially ageless and deathless. Short of being forcibly murdered, Strange will remain as we see him now possibly for centuries. It's one of the reasons why Clea - who is herself very likely thousands of years old - is such a good life/love partner for him. Now that Strange was taken out of the Marvel Magical Universe and made an Avenger, it seems that Marvel has been largely ignoring the timeless aspect of Strange's nature. The movies updated his origin to contemporary times. I think most fans are now more familiar with MCU Strange and Avengers Strange than they are with classic Strange so subjecting him to the same sort of contemporary sliding time scale doesn't seem odd to these newer fans. I find it disappointing because I always enjoyed the fact that Strange was already essentially a man out of time and out of step with all of the rest of the MU back when he was in his own book. Modernizing his origin story and shaving off all of the truly timeless, weird aspects of his history reduces the character from someone who was unique in the MU to just another powered up dude in a costume, so far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Clea; 07-27-2021 at 07:27 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I see, so Stephen is 'timeless'.

To be honest, I haven't read anything so far, but I'm gonna read these two stories/arcs bc I've managed to buy them: Doctor Strange: The Oath; Strange Tales 130-146. - I already know I'm really gonna enjoy the heck out of them bc the art is amazing.

Actually you can recommend anything, I'm dying for some good stories and stellar art!
    So, in terms of recommendations, I see you've already picked up Doctor Strange: The Oath, and a Strange Tales collection. That's a very good start because you'll get to read a modern take on Strange and some of the earliest stories with terrific Steve Ditko art. I like 'The Oath' quite a lot. I hope you like it. Randomly skipping around through all of Strange's various series, you might also want to find issues of Marvel Premier 4-14, which features the death of the Ancient One and Strange officially being designated as Sorcerer Supreme, also Shuma-Gorath, Baron Mordo, and a time travelling sorcerer who may just destroy the entire universe in his quest for power. These stories are written by Steve Englehart and drawn by Frank Brunner. If you like horror-styled stories, Strange battled Dracula in Doctor Strange 58-62. He also took up the study of black magic in a series of stories written by Peter Gillis in Strange Tales v. 2 in a series of stories that runs from #8-16/17. It's an interesting, dark story that I mention mainly because Shuma-Gorath seems to be turning up a lot lately. If you want more contemporary stories to check out, I liked the Donny Cates run from 2015-2018. These have all been collected so you could find graphic novels if you can't get the individual issues. So far as graphic novels go, I recommend Triumph and Torment, which teams up Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. That's a great story by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola. Into Shamballa by J.M. DeMatteis and Dan Green is a gorgeous graphic novel. The writing style isn't to everyone's taste, but the artwork is amazing. What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? by P. Craig Russell is another really beautiful graphic novel. That's just a start.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.