Page 49 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

well crud can't seem to post memes on Scott's gala duds
    Last edited by Cyked; 05-13-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I guess everyone appreciates good assets, even when it might be a character that they otherwise dislike?
    Well, guess we all know why the X-Men fall in line behind Scott despite hating his guts~~~~
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

For that view...i'll follow behind Scott anytime, every time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Was watching an MMA clip on FB when I had a random thought:

Judo and Jiu-Jitsu (on top of whatever CQC SpecOps/Forces use) are the ideal fighting styles for Scott. Like, imagine a 6ft however-many-pounds dude grappling you onto the floor only to unleash red death on your unprotected face instead of letting you go to pummel you.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

Judo and Jiu-Jitsu (on top of whatever CQC SpecOps/Forces use) are the ideal fighting styles for Scott. Like, imagine a 6ft however-many-pounds dude grappling you onto the floor only to unleash red death on your unprotected face instead of letting you go to pummel you.
    Scott was into Judo and Aikido, actually. Of course, the canonical explanation would be that it's an ideal fighting style for a 6ft however-many-pounds dude intent on incapacitating you without causing injury, but oh well.

Mmm. It just dawned on me. Inviting Scott to Steven Seagal Movie night would be a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

Yeah, Scott shouldn't be top ten MU CQC fighters, but maybe top 20? He should be more dangerous than portrayed; maybe even develop his own fighting style.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Scott was into Judo and Aikido, actually. Of course, the canonical explanation would be that it's an ideal fighting style for a 6ft however-many-pounds dude intent on incapacitating you without causing injury, but oh well.

Mmm. It just dawned on me. Inviting Scott to Steven Seagal Movie night would be a terrible idea.
    Is Scott into kung fu movies? Jackie Chan?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Is Scott into kung fu movies? Jackie Chan?
    Doubtful. Don't think he'd mind them in small doses, though. We know for sure he used to like Star Wars and Harry Potter, so he's for sure into the occasional sci-fi/fantasy. There was also that Mr. Goes to Washington movie, so the guy's definitely up for satire.

There's no way he didn't have a war movie kick at some point, but I'm guessing that being on the receiving end of revisionist jingoism soured him on the whole thing. I will also never believe he didn't silently sit through the entire Clint Eastwood western collection and John Woo's early Hong Kong movies with Logan. Twice. You just know Ororo/Kurt/Piotr would just go "Logan, we love you to pieces, but no, just... no."

Doubtful. Don't think he'd mind them in small doses, though. We know for sure he used to like Star Wars and Harry Potter, so he's for sure into the occasional sci-fi/fantasy. There was also that Mr. Goes to Washington movie, so the guy's definitely up for satire.

There's no way he didn't have a war movie kick at some point, but I'm guessing that being on the receiving end of revisionist jingoism soured him on the whole thing. I will also never believe he didn't silently sit through the entire Clint Eastwood western collection and John Woo's early Hong Kong movies with Logan. Twice. You just know Ororo/Kurt/Piotr would just go "Logan, we love you to pieces, but no, just... no."
    We also know he knows enough about The Princess Bride to make comparisons between his father and the Dread Pirate Roberts, so he has likely seen that one too. Being something of a romantic, it isn't surprising to learn Scott has watched that one too.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

You'll never stop me from believing Scott is a big A-Team and The Expendables fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    We also know he knows enough about The Princess Bride to make comparisons between his father and the Dread Pirate Roberts, so he has likely seen that one too. Being something of a romantic, it isn't surprising to learn Scott has watched that one too.
    Totally forgot about this.
    Let your wallet talk.

Amazing Member

Yeah, Scott shouldn't be top ten MU CQC fighters, but maybe top 20? He should be more dangerous than portrayed; maybe even develop his own fighting style.
    I think about this often. In my experience people are quick to write off the optic blast when he's at close range. A lot of the people I've debated comics with have constantly said "well with Cyclops you just have to get close enough and the optic blast wouldn't work". I can understand if a part of this is worry about the damage a close ranged optic blast would do. However on people he knows can survive it, it would be nasty in CQC situations, like having an extra limb to press/punch/trap your opponent with. I joked with friends if Muay Thai is called the art of 8 limbs (fists, elbows, knees, legs) then Scott would have a 9th at his disposal. I was happy to see it thought of in his fight with Logan during Schism. There's just no way he'd think "welp too close now, guess its just fisticuffs".

Movies: Think Scott would be a big sport movie fan? A fondness for rousing couch speeches and montages? "GET UP YOU SON OF A #%@&, CUZ CHARLIE LOVES YA"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked View Post
    I think about this often. In my experience people are quick to write off the optic blast when he's at close range. A lot of the people I've debated comics with have constantly said "well with Cyclops you just have to get close enough and the optic blast wouldn't work". I can understand if a part of this is worry about the damage a close ranged optic blast would do. However on people he knows can survive it, it would be nasty in CQC situations, like having an extra limb to press/punch/trap your opponent with. I joked with friends if Muay Thai is called the art of 8 limbs (fists, elbows, knees, legs) then Scott would have a 9th at his disposal. I was happy to see it thought of in his fight with Logan during Schism. There's just no way he'd think "welp too close now, guess its just fisticuffs".

Movies: Think Scott would be a big sport movie fan? A fondness for rousing couch speeches and montages? "GET UP YOU SON OF A #%@&, CUZ CHARLIE LOVES YA"
    Do we consider powers when talking about cqc combat?
    If so scott would be a beast.He is smart enough to use his powers to do much more than a laser attack.

On the top of my head Shang chi,Captain america,Iron fist,Logan,Black panther,Daredevil,Taskmaster,Black widow are the classic best h2h fighters in the MU.They are the ones with peak human or low superhuman stats(aside from chi amps).Then there are the likes of Spider-man and luke cage,Namor who have much higher strength.
    If powers are included my pick would be Spider-man.He is the most agile and the only one with a unique MA style that only he can use(he trained with Shang chi for it both with and without powers).Even when depowered he can take multiple hydra agents with ease(Check out butterfly effect mini).Also has training from Cap(using chi to slow down the perception of time around him) and Daredevil(how to fight blind).Also can take on Madame webb who has perfect precognition with same Spider-powers.he didn't even have his Spider-sense yet.He can also use his Spider-sense in tandem with the MA style(way of the spider) to not only sense and dodge danger but find weak spots(akin to cassanda batgirl).
    If not I would say Cap,Shang chi or iron fist.

Amazing Member

For me CQC just means being at a close range. If we can count people like Spider-man and Namor, why wouldn't we count Scott's powers as well? After all the blasts come out of his eyes, not some gun. After all its a tool that keeps the blasts at bay, not creating them. As someone who's practiced different martial arts for years, the idea that the optic blast isn't useable in CQC is just insane. The only reason I'd accept for him not using it then is a fear of killing someone at that close range.

Also take into account his ability to read range and angles. I know I've messed up in sparing when I've kicked when I should have punched, or got to close not ready to be grappled. Those talents would result in more efficient choices and less mistakes. I wonder if he'd have a better reading on weight being shifted when tied up with people.
    Last edited by Cyked; 05-14-2021 at 07:58 AM.

It makes sense for Cyclops to be really trained in hand-to-hand combat. Scott's worry about not controlling his powers would, logically, lead to him trying to depend on it the least he can, so learning how to defend himself and defeat his adversary without needing to use his optic blast would be a obvious step for him.

And BJJ something Cyclops would want to learn as soon as he heard about it. He is pragmatic, BJJ is a useful tool to have and allow him to defend himself in situation where, for example, one of his enemies is able to take his optic blast away, all he would have to do is grab them, close his eyes and take the fight to the ground, where the lack of vision wouldn't be as big of a problem.

You have to differentiate between beating Cyclops in a fight in which he does not want to use lethal force and in which he does not care.

In a deadly fight, his optic blast is just as good at close range as it is at long range because he can vaporize you by simply taking off his visor.