Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    As controversial as it is, Tyke is also another good representation of his free will. During his time in the present, he wasn't really pushed as a leader. Most of the X-Men favored giving Jean leadership. That definitely had some impact no doubt, but Scott still showed off his tactical skills when possible and his intention to help considering his decision to join the Champions. While I wasn't that big a fan of Tyke's portrayal a majority of the time, there's a lot to delve into considering that era.
    Tyke, like most of DisMarvel's track record over the past decade, was a poorly executed good concept that ended up, predictably, worth nothing to the narrative. A placeholder until DisMarvel found someone to fix their room, so to speak.

All we get is an occasional reference here and there (mostly from the Champions' side), but nothing really far-reaching.

I also can't help but realize how terrible most of his "friends" were considering how they treated him during his time in the present.
    Tyke's friends literally just stood in place when Logan was threatening to shank him at the schoolyard in broad daylight. Then you had Jeen sending him mixed signals every step of the way up until the very end......... and while I get that Jeen was going through her own stuff at the time, the 180 her character turned as soon as Jean was resurrected and Cyke was murdered was simply jarring.

Like, dayum, if Tyke was an actual person, he'd probably just bail. Which is why I liked that Tyke went to the Champions. Unfortunately, it didn't end up doing much for his development for whatever reason.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    I'd think it depends on which writer peeps read it from. I don't know what the original narrative was-- like, waaay back in the day when it was Stan Lee writing-- but off the top of my head, I can think of two interpretations. One is, iirc, an AvX (or was it Schism?) tie-in from Scott's perspective where Chuck was offering him a home. The other is during Whedon's run, where Emma broke it down to Chuck needing a field leader and an orphaned Scott, with no family or other qualities (e.g. Hank and SCIENCE), was perfect for the job.

ps. Graaaaay D: don't leave me hanging, muh good writer. You know I'm a shipper at heart~~~
    I had my heart ripped out by the Hitlerclops mess and didn't feel like writing for quite some time. By the time things had improved I had lost the links since I was actually composing that in snippets on the appreciation thread. I might pick it back up for completions sake, since I actually have had the conclusion in my head long before I out the ficlet down.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I had my heart ripped out by the Hitlerclops mess and didn't feel like writing for quite some time. By the time things had improved I had lost the links since I was actually composing that in snippets on the appreciation thread. I might pick it back up for completions sake, since I actually have had the conclusion in my head long before I out the ficlet down.
    I hear ya. HitlerClops era had me writing crossover stories instead because Marvel sucked. Then Hickman came for the finishing blow and now I'm out hahaha
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

I hear ya. HitlerClops era had me writing crossover stories instead because Marvel sucked. Then Hickman came for the finishing blow and now I'm out hahaha
    I was out as soon as Tyke left Champions - Bunn and JDW did their best to ruin him, with Bunn's disinterest in anyone other than Jeen preventing him from allowing Scott the slightest bit of competence or agency in the story.

The new Uncanny might actually be a jumping back on point for me, but I'll have to wait and see ..
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

I was out as soon as Tyke left Champions - Bunn and JDW did their best to ruin him, with Bunn's disinterest in anyone other than Jeen preventing him from allowing Scott the slightest bit of competence or agency in the story.

The new Uncanny might actually be a jumping back on point for me, but I'll have to wait and see ..
    I'm gonna give it until after the first story arc. See what the reviews are like before picking it up--- 'coz, call me jaded, but I kinda have a negative opinion as far as character focus is concerned, given the roster.
    Let your wallet talk.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Corsair, Teen Scott and Teen Alex show up in the Starjammers back-up story in Hereoes Reborn: Hyperion and the Shi'Ar Guard.
    "Cable was right!"

Considering later Champions writers Jim Zub and Eve Ewing both ended up bringing Cyclops back for a guest appearance, I assume his removal from the team originally was editorial mandate, and not just because Mark Waid left the book?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Both parties (as with most relationship drama) are at fault. Takes two to tango and all those cliches.
    Yeah, absolutely. Shame that many people can't look at it that way.

Long-form storytelling. Claremont tried closure and-- and it didn't end pretty.
    Right, not closure to the overall narrative, but some closure for some narrative threads.

I mean, yeah. Here Comes Tomorrow pretty much confirms it. Cyke stepped away from Emma and the X-Men, obligatory bad future happens, so Phoenix/Jean from the far future telepathically nudges Scott to accept Emma. Idk, I always found Emma's subsequent feelings of inferiority to her place in Scott's heart relative to Jean's (as unhealthy as it was) despite Scott's constant reassurance deliciously drama-filled because there is actually basis for it, whether Scott (and especially Emma) realizes it or not.

And interpersonally stuff definitely is one of the X-Men's staples, which is why it frustrates me to no end when writers (ahem, BMB but more egregiously, Hickman) shoehorn their narratives.
    That plot point was another one that would have had interesting closure, but Marvel just shuffled it to the side...

It doesn't have to be the only focus, but it should be present.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I don't want to seem like I'm "beating a dead horse" so I'll try to make my comments on the subject brief.

I feel like Morrison had intended to present a parallel between Scott and Jean during that era. They had a problem and were drifting apart (which is a different matter of discussion if I'm being honest) and sought out other people to help with the situation, people they probably should have avoided. Jean was the lucky one considering Wolverine made their relationship boundaries clear instead of pushing things forward. Now, would there have actually been an affair if he didn't? Probably, considering her vulnerability, but Jean would have most likely hated herself afterwards. Scott on the other hand went to Emma who played with his vulnerability till the psychic affair.

Both seemed relatively lost, and put quite a bit of faith into other people. That being said, I don't think Wolverine and Emma deserve all the blame or praise. It was a messy situation and Scott and Jean both knew who they were confiding in.
    I agree, excellent take.

As controversial as it is, Tyke is also another good representation of his free will. During his time in the present, he wasn't really pushed as a leader. Most of the X-Men favored giving Jean leadership. That definitely had some impact no doubt, but Scott still showed off his tactical skills when possible and his intention to help considering his decision to join the Champions. While I wasn't that big a fan of Tyke's portrayal a majority of the time, there's a lot to delve into considering that era.

I also can't help but realize how terrible most of his "friends" were considering how they treated him during his time in the present.
    Everything about Tyke frustrates me; even the kernels of interesting story avenues because nothing ever came of them.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 05-13-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typo
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I think we would all welcome that.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

This just in: Cyclops has cheeks.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Considering some of the discussions it started, it's quite the controversy.

Though, I can't say I'm particularly surprised by some of them.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Quentin and the Cuckoos are teenagers who had nothing to do with Jean. But I see what you did there. Not a fan of Percy's X-Force either. Mock away.
    The set-up was just too perfect. I couldn't resist.

Both parties (as with most relationship drama) are at fault. Takes two to tango and all those cliches.
    Cyclops: "Wait, so we're actually both going take our fair share of the blame?"
    Not-Cyclops: "Of course."
    Cyclops: "Well, that's quite the change of p..."
    Not-Cyclops: "Ninety-ten. Your way."
    Cyclops: "......................"
    Not-Cyclops: "Tell you what, I'll even be super nice and not bring up your past, evil, hurtful transgressions if random nobodies sort of bring up the approximate topic."
    Cyclops: "That's an oddly specific..."
    Not-Cyclops: "Gawd, there's just no talking to you!"

Scott Summers doing what he does best. Hail.

Though, I can't say I'm particularly surprised by some of them.
    I guess everyone appreciates good assets, even when it might be a character that they otherwise dislike?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I guess everyone appreciates good assets, even when it might be a character that they otherwise dislike?
    Well, for the most part it seems. Although, some things never change. Poor Scott, lol.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia