Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

hmm I think that cyke no longer has such strategic coldness ... I mean he is a father or husband which ends up making him more emotional, I don't know if he is good or bad.
    how-cyclops-studies-and-analyzes-opponents-2.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    But those "moments here and there" are probably some of the best Scott's been written since the utopia days. I empathize with the frustration I really do but fans have a tendency to become hyperbolic when they feel like their favorite character isn't getting their due.

But like I guess I can wait. Hickman hasn't mishandled him yet he just hasn't given him a definitive story arc yet.
    I think good character moments are important and, while Hickman isn't obsessed with that, he gets most characters right with small moments, usually. I'm still waiting for Scott's actual story to get going instead of keeping his appearances as the reader's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    Currently, cyke and Jean work better apart. They keep forcing this adolescent love and forget his leadership skills.
    Scott and Jean currently have the furthest thing from an adolescent love, though. There isn't any co dependence, or distrust, or really any way they hinder each other. Whatever Percy does with Jean in X-Force isn't complicated in any way by her relationship, same for Scott's actions. They'll just start appearing a lot more together due to reforming the X-Men.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    hmm I think that cyke no longer has such strategic coldness ... I mean he is a father or husband which ends up making him more emotional, I don't know if he is good or bad.
    If I remember correctly, X-Men #1 emphasized Cyclops' focus on the things that make him happy, rather than the things trying to kill him. That probably explains his lack of plans for most situations these days. As disappointing as that is, it would be nice for his role as Captain Commander to have some meaning eventually.

Considering the tease, it's payoff is probably going to happen farther down the line. Probably when things really start to shake up. Good or bad, it feels like there's going to be a lot of waiting.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 02-01-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I have no idea how anyone could read X of Swords and try to pretend Hickman doesn't like Cyclops or hasn't featured him enough
    What exactly about Cyclops' role in X of Swords leads you to believe Hickman likes the character or features him enough? All he did in the entire story was gather a few mutants and bring a semi-useless space station his son had to find out about in a dream to a battle that he had virtually no hand in winning. He did nothing with either his powers or his leadership skills to contribute to winning that battle, or almost any other since the beginning of the Dawn of X. To me that shows a lack of respect for the character.

My oh my are we moving to stage of denial now?
    I did all 12 steps and finally let go of the x comics.

But never my love for Cyclops.
    He had some okay moments but nothing that would get me to buy the comics.

Even if Marvel will never acknowledge it we should mention that Cyclops is now Thor's step-daddy. Next time the Avengers and X-men fight I want him to send Thor to his room with no dessert

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh really? Scott was barely in that till the very end and doesnt really do much there. XOS was not a showcase of Cyclops as Captain Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by LogosPundit View Post
    What exactly about Cyclops' role in X of Swords leads you to believe Hickman likes the character or features him enough? All he did in the entire story was gather a few mutants and bring a semi-useless space station his son had to find out about in a dream to a battle that he had virtually no hand in winning. He did nothing with either his powers or his leadership skills to contribute to winning that battle, or almost any other since the beginning of the Dawn of X. To me that shows a lack of respect for the character.
    Panel time? His role in the event was more important than any of the swordbearers bar Apocalypse and his decision to go against the council is the basis of the entire Reign of X status quo. The final stretch of X of Swords showed the same facets of Cyclops Hickman has been building on since the beginning: the care for his family, in deciding to lead a potentially life risking missing to rescue his son and others; the desire to protect Krakoa due to its status as a safe haven for mutants and as symbol of everything he's fought for, but at the same time starting to question some of its foundations like the council and his place as a hero, leading to him going against the wishes of the council; and his position as a leader, which was important to the event - in which the SWORD space station was also definitely not useless, as it was basically the swarm of Vescora that turned things around for Krakoa.

That's the core of X-Men #15/Destruction, and his new status quo after the event, in which again he's the protagonist of the main book, leading the formation of the X-Men

Protagonist of a book where he has 3 lines and gets knocked out by a hammer. Yeah, thats a great new status quo for him

Protagonist of a book where he has 3 lines and gets knocked out by a hammer. Yeah, thats a great new status quo for him
    That's one issue which was always meant to be a showcase for Storm (I mean, she's on the cover) and nowhere representative of his whole appearance on the book

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    That's one issue which was always meant to be a showcase for Storm (I mean, she's on the cover) and nowhere representative of his whole appearance on the book
    Scott didnt need to be treated like a chump in order to showcase Storm. That was a choice

I'm completely certain that he is just suffering the Worf effect
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../TheWorfEffect

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    I'm completely certain that he is just suffering the Worf effect
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../TheWorfEffect
    Not quite.

Worf effect is when the character who's considered the most or one of the most powerful members of the team gets beaten by a new character(generally a villain), to show the audience that this new character is really dangerous.

It isn't like the other members of the team would immediately fair better against them. It's just that the worf-character would generally be the first one to fight them and first one to get beaten. Then other members of the team would tread carefully or not battle them directly.

It isn't really illogical at all. It's just that too much use of it using the same character gets annoying.

Thor, Hulk. Superman, etc. are the ones that suffer most from it.

Cyclops, sadly, has never been considered that strong compared to everyone else. He can't really suffer from Worf effect.

This is plain old jobbing and PIS.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not quite.

Worf effect is when the character who's considered the most or one of the most powerful members of the team gets beaten by a new character(generally a villain), to show the audience that this new character is really dangerous.

It isn't like the other members of the team would immediately fair better against them. It's just that the worf-character would generally be the first one to fight them and first one to get beaten. Then other members of the team would tread carefully or not battle them directly.

It isn't really illogical at all. It's just that too much use of it using the same character gets annoying.

Thor, Hulk. Superman, etc. are the ones that suffer most from it.

Cyclops, sadly, has never been considered that strong compared to everyone else. He can't really suffer from Worf effect.

This is plain old jobbing and PIS.
    The Worf effect has 2 uses, demonstrate the threat the enemy poses, and take out the most obvious means of defeating them. In both of the examples of Cyclops being taken out of the fight, he is the first to go down fighting (the plant ladies take out Shaw first but he wasn't fighting, he was just being a creep, it's more of a comedy thing there). In both fights he is taken out by being ambushed while he is taking everyone down

The only reason the Hordeculture elders beat Cyclops was because he didn't want to hurt them and tried to help one who pretended to have broken her hip.

He did not lose by "being weak", he lost by being a good person.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The only reason the Hordeculture elders beat Cyclops was because he didn't want to hurt them and tried to help one who pretended to have broken her hip.

He did not lose by "being weak", he lost by being a good person.
    Yes and no.

Sure he was going easy on them, but I have a hard time believing Cyclops(or any X-Man for that matter) aren't skilled enough to handle three old ladies without hurting them.

Even he wouldn't want to hit them, why should he be getting hit? Why couldn't he dodge or block them?

It's just bad writing really.