Page 33 of 92 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Yeah. At the time, I thought AvX would pay all of that off. Certainly, it was a plot line building throughout the X-Books. Scott's faith in the Phoenix since he thinks Jean is controlling it / is the Phoenix Force, which was only solidified at the end of Second Coming; Emma's continued distrust, leading her to almost murdering an unconscious Hope during Fear Itself. The franchise is long-form storytelling and it really felt like it. In hindsight, I should've taken more heed to the fact that it was mostly Avengers writers on the AvX while the only X-Writer was Aaron. Dude's even ignored Avengers: X-Sanction entirely...

Credit all goes to RedClops123. If nothing else, Cyke's dead carcass literally propped up years of X-Book stories, but not in the way it typically goes. It's kinda a documentation of the X-Office's creative bankruptcy prior to Hickman.

And just to reiterate, my stance against Hickman's run isn't that he's taking the mythos to a whole "new" territory, but that he jumped straight into it. We didn't get to see how or why the X-Men decided to seemingly unanimously fall in line with Chucky and Magz. Instead of a story showing character growth, it seems Hickman just expects us to accept it because the previous runs were just that bad. It feels like he's doing an editor's job or, at the least, there's a specific story he wants to be told and he's using the franchise as mouthpieces.
    Well yeah, that’s kind of why he got the job in the first place . He’s been repeatedly said to be guiding the X-Books as a whole, with everyone playing in the sandbox he set up. It’s all his story going in one direction, his.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well yeah, that’s kind of why he got the job in the first place . He’s been repeatedly said to be guiding the X-Books as a whole, with everyone playing in the sandbox he set up. It’s all his story going in one direction, his.
    I know. But Hickman leans heavier into the role of editor instead of writer with regard to his X-Book. As much as it pains me to say--- BMB actually balanced the role of architect and writer better.

Now, excuse me while I bleach my tongue for giving BMB a compliment :'D
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    I know. But Hickman leans heavier into the role of editor instead of writer with regard to his X-Book. As much as it pains me to say--- BMB actually balanced the role of architect and writer better.

Now, excuse me while I bleach my tongue for giving BMB a compliment :'D
    Bendis does everything well at first, his problem has always been the follow through, although with his X run I think he may have also been dealt more than one blow by editorial interference. Some stories that had obvious setup changed between the solicit and the publication - it's been a while but I also think more than once there as well. And nothing showed BMB's difficulties with finishing a story well like Battle of the Atom. The first issue was a master class in story telling, making the finish even more lackluster by wasting the strength of the beginning so thoroughly.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

To this day, I still can't believe that "Be excellent to each other... except Scott Summers" somehow didn't become a meme.

I've been re-reading some of the post-IvX books and good grief the sudden change of tone/attitude Cyclops/Tyke just comes off as hilariously phony/unearned. I mean, the X-Men Gold Recap couldn't even bothered to bring up the whole "trying to make world peace an actual thing as opposed to some pickup line" while summarizing AvX, lol. Oh well.

Anyway. Regarding Hickman's Summers-Grey, they're not actual characters. They're just a suuuper subtle metaphor for Krakoa's unity.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 04-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    To this day, I still can't believe that "Be excellent to each other... except Scott Summers" somehow didn't become a meme.

I've been re-reading some of the post-IvX books and good grief the sudden change of tone/attitude Cyclops/Tyke just comes off as hilariously phony/unearned. I mean, the X-Men Gold Recap couldn't even bothered to bring up the whole "trying to make world peace an actual thing as opposed to some pickup line" while summarizing AvX, lol. Oh well.

Anyway. Regarding Hickman's Summers-Grey, they're not actual characters. They're just a suuuper subtle metaphor for Krakoa's unity.
    So what you're saying is that when the polyamory falls apart Krakoa will sink?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Don't doubt our prophet! XD
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Well, no. *I'm* not saying anything, this guy is.

Cyke is totally talking about the islands and totally not talking directly to the camera.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Bendis does everything well at first, his problem has always been the follow-through, although with his X run I think he may have also been dealt more than one blow by editorial interference. Some stories that had obvious setup changed between the solicit and the publication - it's been a while but I also think more than once there as well. And nothing showed BMB's difficulties with finishing a story well like Battle of the Atom. The first issue was a master class in storytelling, making the finish even more lackluster by wasting the strength of the beginning so thoroughly.
    Bendis and future X-Men writers had the same problem that Chris Claremont had to deal with during his run of the X-Factor, peer pressure. He killed Jean to retire other protagonists and bring forth new ones and then bring the old protagonists as a new team. He created Madelyne to take Scott and the others to the next level and he created additional characters to do so. Then Jean came back in a different comic book, not in an X-Men, but in a different comic and they forced him to suck it up and put the main couple back on the action. However, this decision conflicts with his original decision to make Dazzler a member of the X-Factor, along with Scott struggling between family and duty. When Jean was brought back, instead of going out his way to help his friends, it was made to look like he was walking out of his wife for his old flame. This was one of the horrible moments, that hinted at Scott's future infidelity.
    Similarly, with the case of BMB, he and the other writers had to deal with the issue of back seating the X-Men and promote the Inhumans as their main storyline. This plot took its roots right after the crossover Battle of the Atom. With the Infinity storyline where Blackbolt triggered the terrigen bomb against Thanos, the Inhumans marked their rise, and the Death of Wolverine served as the fall of X-Men. To make things worse, they kept the kid X-Men and branded Scotty as the bad guy.

Amazing Member

guess who took 1st place for a stupid reason

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-heroes-tu...ulous-reasons/

Fantastic Member

Lol this is just an ongoing joke now. I mean c'mon... lmao

Quote Originally Posted by AROSWELL View Post

This is a good step for CBR. They acknowledged that it was 1) possession and 2) stupid. Their usual is to list 10 reasons why everything bad is Scott's fault or why he is actually a villain or something else out of headcanon hatewank.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This is a good step for CBR. They acknowledged that it was 1) possession and 2) stupid. Their usual is to list 10 reasons why everything bad is Scott's fault or why he is actually a villain or something else out of headcanon hatewank.
    What's even funny is CBR called his revolutionary costume as one of, if not the worst costume. But now, it is one of the best it was exactly what he is wearing, replaced with a black wetsuit that has blue lines instead of his burgundy wetsuit with red/scarlet lines and the forehead x with his silver visor, which looks a lot like his 90s visor. don't forget that this is actually a CBR forum.

What's even funny is CBR called his revolutionary costume as one of, if not the worst costume. But now, it is one of the best it was exactly what he is wearing, replaced with a black wetsuit that has blue lines instead of his burgundy wetsuit with red/scarlet lines and the forehead x with his silver visor, which looks a lot like his 90s visor. don't forget that this is actually a CBR forum.
    Most people here only hated the X-face part of that costume, when the hood was down people thought it could be pretty good, although I don't think I'm the only one who wishes they could have ditched the hood part entirely and used the visor alone.

On a different note, does anyone else wonder if Frenzy is trying to get noticed by a certain someone at the Hellfire gala with that outfit?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Well, no. *I'm* not saying anything, this guy is.

Cyke is totally talking about the islands and totally not talking directly to the camera.
    Well, you usually have the uncanny sense to predict these type of things, so I believe you here.

Honestly, this one seems to point out the silliness of his evil. That's actually more surprising.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 04-27-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Scott has appeared quite a bit in today's Cable issue