Page 39 of 92 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You just answered your own question there.
    I don't think so... What do you mean?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Thank you so much for spending your break replying.

I'm so sorry it was too much. I thought your post was really interesting and I love discussing things. But I don't want to hog the thread too much, so I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to take part in the discussion, otherwise I'll reply later, okay? Have a great day there!
    Don't worry about hogging the thread. Your takes give us stuff to think about and discuss while we wait for Scott to ditch the Captain Cameo bit and start doing stuff that drives the plot again. And it's always good to have differing opinions that aren't merely "Your take sucks!"
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Hickman created a sandbox where literally anyone can hook up with anyone for whatever reasons.

Bring on the Scott/Lorna! The BrandClops! Heck, gimme Cyke and Miss Sinister while we're at it!

I still have space in my shipyard!
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Hickman created a sandbox where literally anyone can hook up with anyone for whatever reasons.

Bring on the Scott/Lorna! The BrandClops! Heck, gimme Cyke and Miss Sinister while we're at it!

Now lets not get traumatising yet.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Maybe I should have explained better what I meant (sorry, I'm not a native speaker). Let me try again.

We still don't really know what's the actual arrangement between those characters, right?
    My best guess is the Summers-Grey having as many family dinners as possible and then some sort of moderately fluid on-and-off schedule for the sexy stuff?

Notions pertaining with real life psychology/relationships don't matter in the slightest because any criticism has been preemptively handwaved away with the time-jump-mutant-culture-slash-godhood-everything-is-different-now-just-go-with-it excuse.

Now, if that's what's the x-office really agreed to do, it's not Percy's fault that he's actually portraying it, right?

There is a whole other issue about execution. His execution is bad, in my opinion. He could have done it with better taste. But, personally, I think the whole thing is very distasteful anyway.
    The issue isn't with Percy presenting his side of the Rectangle. The issue is with his inability to not throw petty shade at the other side.

They could have used any other characters. They chose my favourite couple ever. I *really* don't like any of that.
    As some of us were briefly discussing prior to you joining these forums, Hickman's Scott and Jean aren't so much actual characters as opposed to being a metaphorical stand-in for Krakoa. There just wasn't any other high-profile x-family worth putting back together and subsequently tearing apart.

Exactly. Scott and Jean don't need to be together. They can even be parents and be involved in the lives of their children and still not be a couple. You know, like so many humans do.
    Funny thing is, Scott and Jean were basically roommates before SoX. I guess Hickman & Cie thought that Jean deciding Jott was back on after seeing Scott literally fall to his knees in a fit of soul-crushing despair is... romantic and/or healthy in any way whatsoever?

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

You're killing me, lol.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 05-03-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Re: Basilisk - while this alternate take isn't an actual facet of Scott's personality, he springs from one, and represents that facet better than anything else I can come up with without a LOT of time brainstorming, and better than anything else I have seen out of Marvel either. So he's a very good stand in until something better cones along, which I doubt is happening anytime soon.
    I think we agree then.

The way I understand this, considering the 7-days time frame, the super alter Moira performed actual telepathic meddling and that's why the telepaths had to be kept imprisoned in that reality. It wasn't simply a collective mind-experience, though: it was an actual pocket reality, but everyone's personalities had to be re-written so they could perform their new roles.

It's easier for people to accept having their identities edited like that if there is something that belongs to them in the new versions of themselves.

When that comes to Scott, I suppose Moira thought he would be too dangerous in the position of a leader. So the alter decided to break him and she looked inside him for a way to do it. And it found that part of him who had been victim of abuse, who suffered its consequences, who wanted to lash out, who didn't want to be the responsible one, etc (it also found out he was monogamous and gave him a wife, since Emma couldn't be around - yes, I'm bringing this up again :P)... It plucked that darkness out and it created Basilisk from that.

Like I said, I think we agree, then.

This whole point was about Joanna, though: she was in love with this manufactured persona. It's not the whole Scott, it's not even the part of Scott that Moira used to create Basilisk. And Joanna didn't want to accept that. She told Scott that Basilisk is who he really is. That's who she wants.

Now, when it comes to her, there's more to it. She didn't want to erase her memories because of how good she felt about herself too. In that harsh reality of a constant fight, she could be that destructive force of nature that she is and she could feel good about it, because that's what it was needed of her. She was appreciated for being who she is by the society around her and her husband. It's hard to give up on that.

But, if you think about it, this is coming from a selfish place. Again: "I love you because I need you".

I'm a softie. I just want our boy to be happy with someone who truly sees him as a whole. He deserves better than those former villains/shady women who are - subconscious - using him as a way to reform their character.

"Re: Jean - I realized that I probably left the wrong impression when I said 'I prefer a non-Jean to be..'. That probably came out as me preferring someone else to Jean, when I meant it to be that I'd it wasn't her then for that person to fit the following criteria."
    I got that. I just thought I should point it out because some X-Men fans truly believe that Jean is a saint. Those are the same that accuse her of being a slut, because how dare her, being a woman and having hormones?! :D

"The one thing I hate most about Scott's other relationships is that they sometimes seem to be more about Jean than his relationship with the real Jean is. I hate Jean substitutes, and that has been everyone post Lee Forrester with the exceptions of Frenzy and the Laura tease. Especially Emma, as far as I'm concerned. Telepathic therapy from someone always compared unfavorably to Jean - yes, it's about Jean. Basically, if it isn't going to be the real thing, they should actually do something else and not the veneer of something else.
    I agree with you. If they were to split Jean and Scott, I'd like him to go for an actually different relationship. But that, for me, is more than non-redhead and non-telepath, you know?

I include non-former-villain and non-future-villain too. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I agree with your view on Scott and Jean as a couple. Given their current state, I would prefer them separate, but it is what it is.

Regarding Joanna and the idea of a new love interest, I'm rather neutral. However, for a short term relationship, I feel like it might work given it's basically set up to fail and stall time till he either ends up with Jean or Emma again.
    Oh, let it be Emma, then?

Seriously, if they break Scott and Jean apart, let them really part with a heartfelt "I'll always love you. You'll always be my best friend. Good luck and be happy". The last thing I want for Jean is to be part of an on again off again meme couple. Let her and Warren go fly together, be heroic, share their episodes of possessions and identity crisis, spend billions on crazy benevolent projects to the benefit of humanity and make the most absurdly beautiful babies on Earth.

And if he's taken by then and we're accepting mutant-human relationships, I'd be all in for her to moving out of Krakoa and meeting a certain redhead who is currently in prison.

Seriously, as a male character, Scott will be just fine with going back and forth to previous relationships. The fault for the drama tends to fall on the female character and Jean is already super polarising as it is.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Did I? Why didn't they just break up? I honestly don't know.
    Just reframing a little bit makes it clear:

If Scott still has feelings for Emma and Jean doesn't understand why she should keep resisting her crazy attraction to Logan, why would Scott and Jean look at each other and just break up when they can consider trying a poliamorous relationship ?

[
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    My best guess is the Summers-Grey having as many family dinners as possible and then some sort of moderately fluid on-and-off schedule for the sexy stuff?

Notions pertaining with real life psychology/relationships don't matter in the slightest because any criticism has been preemptively handwaved away with the time-jump-mutant-culture-slash-godhood-everything-is-different-now-just-go-with-it excuse.
    I know... That's my problem. I can't disconnect my brain before I consume pop culture. It's really tiring. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one. So, thank you. :)

The issue isn't with Percy presenting his side of the Rectangle. The issue is with his inability to not throw petty shade at the other side.
    I also hated how he handled it. But I think, for fairness, they should show the other side of the rectangle and they should show that all parts know about it and are okay with it.

As some of us were briefly discussing prior to you joining these forums, Hickman's Scott and Jean aren't so much actual characters as opposed to being a metaphorical stand-in for Krakoa. There just wasn't any other high-profile x-family worth putting back together and subsequently tearing apart.
    Yeah... Like I said, just a sad allegory. Marvel really doesn't know what they have, do they? Any company, writer, publisher would kill to have such iconic, established, market-able, profitable couple and instead of building on it... oh, well...

Funny thing is, Scott and Jean were basically roommates before SoX. I guess Hickman & Cie thought that Jean deciding Jott was back on after seeing Scott literally fall to his knees in a fit of soul-crushing despair is... romantic and/or healthy in any way whatsoever?
    That's the problem when you don't bother establishing the relationships, right? When you need to draw something out of it, it reads as cynical and convinient.

Compare it to the DPS. We still talk about that story because CC worked on Jean's relationships with the other X-Men. He amped up her romance with Scott, he made Logan develop real feelings for her, he made Ororo her best friend, he let her parents interact with her, he even brought some of her old friends back to the final fight. It took him many issues working on those relationships so when he needed to draw from them and engage us as those characters were going through that horror, we totally bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Just reframing a little bit makes it clear:

If Scott still has feelings for Emma and Jean doesn't understand why she should keep resisting her crazy attraction to Logan, why would Scott and Jean look at each other and just break up when they can consider trying a poliamorous relationship ?
    I don't mean to be confrontational. Please, don't read it as such, okay? I'm just trying to understand your perspective.

Do you think that, if a person feels attraction (or even romantic feelings) to someone who is not their partner, they will be comfortable in a poliamorous relationship?

The reason I ask this is because I don't think monogamy has to do with morality or even choice. It's not exactly a sexual orientation, but it's something like that, on the emotional aspect of relationships.

Jean never felt okay when Logan kissed her and she kissed him back. And during all the psychic affair scenes, Scott didn't feel okay either with the affair. He literally tells that to Emma in all of the scenes.

I also don't think Jean would be okay with Scott being intimate with another woman. And considering how insecure Scott is, I *really* don't think he'd be okay with her having sex with a man who has a healing factor. Think about it...

Again, this is not about morality. It's not because they'd think society would tell them that they are wrong. It's because they are monogamous people and you don't choose not to be monogamous (even if you suck at it).

Polyamory is okay. Monogamy is okay too.

But I don't think a person can just decide to be poliamorous. Do you? Because if you do, I guess that relationship makes sense to you and that's okay too.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-03-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Nothing in Scott or Jean's histories show me that they would be open to a polyamorous relationship, and "become as gods" is an incredibly weak excuse that tries to ignore their histories. This setup doesn't actually do anything for their characters.

For the love of gosh, get Scott out of that mess Marvel!
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Nothing in Scott or Jean's histories show me that they would be open to a polyamorous relationship, and "become as gods" is an incredibly weak excuse that tries to ignore their histories. This setup doesn't actually do anything for their characters.

For the love of gosh, get Scott out of that mess Marvel!
    So the Summer-Grey Family are the true gods behind Nier Automata?, who could have seen that one coming .

Being serious, Scott is not getting out of this until Hickman is finished, so i suggest to expect at least a year more before the hard reset. Personally the poly thing is something that i had been completly indifferent, but i just read like 3 X-Titles, so maybe that's why i'm so....meh about it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    So the Summer-Grey Family are the true gods behind Nier Automata?, who could have seen that one coming .

Being serious, Scott is not getting out of this until Hickman is finished, so i suggest to expect at least a year more before the hard reset. Personally the poly thing is something that i had been completly indifferent, but i just read like 3 X-Titles, so maybe that's why i'm so....meh about it.
    Sorry, I haven't played that game... I've let you down.

Yeah, I know, but hope springs eternal from the human heart.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Sorry, I haven't played that game... I've let you down.

Yeah, I know, but hope springs eternal from the human heart.
    Well if you need something super depressive that somehow manages to have a happy ending, you already got an option .

We cannot help but long for something better, is understandable.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Well if you need something super depressive that somehow manages to have a happy ending, you already got an option .

We cannot help but long for something better, is understandable.
    What videogames do you figure Scott would enjoy? Strategy? Story-driven? Galaga? Virtual Boy?

Maybe just read books? Nothing wrong with that, I've got a small library myself.

I just want what everyone on these boards want for their favorite character: for them to be written well and treated with respect.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.