Page 38 of 92 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Considering if Cable actually leaves and Scott's time with older Cable is significantly less, anyone have any ideas on what Scott's main focus will be from this point on?

I would say Rachel, but she doesn't seem to live at home anymore or has really been a focus up to this point for Scott's fatherhood. That being said, I think the new team, but even then I'm unsure of any arc or relationships he might have explored.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Considering if Cable actually leaves and Scott's time with older Cable is significantly less, anyone have any ideas on what Scott's main focus will be from this point on?

I would say Rachel, but she doesn't seem to live at home anymore or has really been a focus up to this point for Scott's fatherhood. That being said, I think the new team, but even then I'm unsure of any arc or relationships he might have explored.
    Either the Sinister Secret, (my hope) the creation in a lab of Ruby Summers - making her of age with the Cuckoos, or, worst case scenario - The Insipid Love Triangle.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Either the Sinister Secret, (my hope) the creation in a lab of Ruby Summers - making her of age with the Cuckoos, or, worst case scenario - The Insipid Love Triangle.
    Rachel would be good, Ruby would also be fantastic (since we know Scott wouldn't hesitate to bring her into the fold), hopefully Scott gets to be single instead of involved with more triangle shenanigans. Or let him be the first post-Krakoa mutant to start a relationship with a human - what's Colleen Wing up to?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Rachel would be good, Ruby would also be fantastic (since we know Scott wouldn't hesitate to bring her into the fold), hopefully Scott gets to be single instead of involved with more triangle shenanigans. Or let him be the first post-Krakoa mutant to start a relationship with a human - what's Colleen Wing up to?
    If Scott's single, I bet getting stuffed into a small space by Frenzy.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Is that what's called a "power move"?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Well we have yet to see if anyone would fill out those spare rooms on the moon. It seems like it might be more empty these days considering some of the plots. If I'm not mistaken, even Havok has a new place he has to sleep at.

The second half to your comment makes me shiver.

I mean, that seems oddly plausible.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I think the whole point of Scott and Jean being a married couple is for them to build a future family and not only being together with the one they already have.

Despite everything, I still think Scott and Jean are perfect for each other (and I can explain why if anyone is interested). But, like I said, they don't need to be together if together means this current relationship as it is.

If the writers broke them apart, I'd love it if Jean finally snapped out of this preposterous attraction to Logan, so she can go find a meaningful relationship of her own. I'd love to see her and Warren together.

The problem that I have with Joanna and Scott as a couple is that when they come back from Age of X, she makes it clear that she believes he, deep down, is Basilisk and he's just pretending to be different. The man she loves is Basilisk. And no, that's not Scott.

Scott Summers is not the guy who suffers a lot in the hand of monsters, is molded by them and lashes out. He was raised by Sinister and Jack Winters and turned out to be a hero: he's the man who chooses who he is. He suppresses the darkness long enough for him to heal (with lots of emotional scars) and then he shapes himself.

I'd prefer him to go back to Emma, but when I think of their relationship now... I can see her wanting to fool around with him, but having him move to her palace or moving to his lunar dome? Nah... The role she's playing in the Krakoan society now seems a much better fit than the hero role, which is his true calling.

I don't know... I'd like him to be with someone who truly understood him, but when I think of Maddie or even Emma to a point... It's like they never really got him because they never really got/accepted his heroic nature.

So I guess I'd like him to be with a partner who was herself a hero in her heart and not one of those anti-hero types.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I think the whole point of Scott and Jean being a married couple is for them to build a future family and not only being together with the one they already have.

Despite everything, I still think Scott and Jean are perfect for each other (and I can explain why if anyone is interested). But, like I said, they don't need to be together if together means this current relationship as it is.

If the writers broke them apart, I'd love it if Jean finally snapped out of this preposterous attraction to Logan, so she can go find a meaningful relationship of her own. I'd love to see her and Warren together.

The problem that I have with Joanna and Scott as a couple is that when they come back from Age of X, she makes it clear that she believes he, deep down, is Basilisk and he's just pretending to be different. The man she loves is Basilisk. And no, that's not Scott.

Scott Summers is not the guy who suffers a lot in the hand of monsters, is molded by them and lashes out. He was raised by Sinister and Jack Winters and turned out to be a hero: he's the man who chooses who he is. He suppresses the darkness long enough for him to heal (with lots of emotional scars) and then he shapes himself.

I'd prefer him to go back to Emma, but when I think of their relationship now... I can see her wanting to fool around with him, but having him move to her palace or moving to his lunar dome? Nah... The role she's playing in the Krakoan society now seems a much better fit than the hero role, which is his true calling.

I don't know... I'd like him to be with someone who truly understood him, but when I think of Maddie or even Emma to a point... It's like they never really got him because they never really got/accepted his heroic nature.

So I guess I'd like him to be with a partner who was herself a hero in her heart and not one of those anti-hero types.
    Regarding Basilisk, it isn't so much that it isn't who Scott is, but that it is merely a facet where Joanna sees it as the biggest part. Basilisk is, to me, a manifestation of all those emotional scars Scott keeps under wraps behind his layers of stoicism. If we were to visit Scott's mindscape and see the personifications of his personality fragments, Basilisk would be wrapped in a mountain of chains.

But I don't believe that is the only part of Scott that Joanna fell in love with. Scott, in one of the biggest ironies of his character, can look at someone and love all the parts of them, or at least not flinch when he sees the parts they themselves are ashamed of. It's a large part of what Emma fell in love with, and I'm pretty sure it was what Laura was falling for in Tyke before the plot got strangled by editorial. The irony, of course, is that Scott has great difficulty accepting that anyone else can look at him the same way.

That darkness that Scott has, and under normal circumstances rejects, is why I prefer a non-Jean partner to be someone who has done time in the darkness themselves, but has either climbed out of their own dark pit, or is in the process of doing so. Not someone who is naturally a hero in her heart, but who has made the conscious choice to become one anyways.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Regarding Basilisk, it isn't so much that it isn't who Scott is, but that it is merely a facet where Joanna sees it as the biggest part. Basilisk is, to me, a manifestation of all those emotional scars Scott keeps under wraps behind his layers of stoicism. If we were to visit Scott's mindscape and see the personifications of his personality fragments, Basilisk would be wrapped in a mountain of chains.
    This is really interesting. I'm not sure if I agree, though. As far as I remember, Age of X happened in 7 days, right? Unlike Age of X-Man in which a whole world was actually created...?

So I think Basilisk is not an actual manifestation of Scott's personality, I think it is the role that was forced on Scott by the super alter Moira. A role he could accept, yes, because there was something that resonated with him. But not a natural progression of his.

Would something like Basilisk inhabit his mind, wrapped in a mountain of chains? Yes. I can see that. But it's not the same person. And I'm not trying to play with semantics here. I really see those two personas are not the same. Does it make sense to you?

But I don't believe that is the only part of Scott that Joanna fell in love with. Scott, in one of the biggest ironies of his character, can look at someone and love all the parts of them, or at least not flinch when he sees the parts they themselves are ashamed of.
    It's a fundamental part of his character, yes.

It's a large part of what Emma fell in love with, and I'm pretty sure it was what Laura was falling for in Tyke before the plot got strangled by editorial.
    Yes. And I want something better for him. Let me try to explain.

"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you." - Erich Fromm.

Emma and Joanna and Laura seem to love/be-attracted-to him because of what he has to offer them. They love him because they need that good man, with a heart of gold, who doesn't get scared of their dark side. Because they don't like who they are and they want to change and being with someone like him is like an anchor to them.

Are those interesting relationships? Yes!

But again... I truly love his character. I want more for our boy, you know?

I can expand on this if you think it's an interesting topic. Let me know, please. :)

The irony, of course, is that Scott has great difficulty accepting that anyone else can look at him the same way.
    I suppose this comes from the trauma of losing his parents, being in an orphanage without being adopted while his brother was and he was constantly being told no one would want him because he was broken. It creates this feeling that you're never good enough and you're never really deserving of love.

That darkness that Scott has, and under normal circumstances rejects, is why I prefer a non-Jean partner to be someone who has done time in the darkness themselves, but has either climbed out of their own dark pit, or is in the process of doing so.
    But Jean has a huge darkness inside her too. Just like he has.

Not someone who is naturally a hero in her heart, but who has made the conscious choice to become one anyways.
    I don't think anyone is a natural hero, though. Not in the sense that it is easy for them to be like this. I think all of them make a conscious choice to become one. But few can actually do it.

You see the difference?
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-03-2021 at 03:24 AM.

This is really interesting. I'm not sure if I agree, though. As far as I remember, Age of X happened in 7 days, right? Unlike Age of X-Man in which a whole world was actually created...?

So I think Basilisk is not an actual manifestation of Scott's personality, I think it is the role that was forced on Scott by the super alter Moira. A role he could accept, yes, because there was something that resonated with him. But not a natural progression of his.

Would something like Basilisk inhabit his mind, wrapped in a mountain of chains? Yes. I can see that. But it's not the same person. And I'm not trying to play with semantics here. I really see those two personas are not the same. Does it make sense to you?

It's a fundamental part of his character, yes.

Yes. And I want something better for him. Let me try to explain.

"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you." - Erich Fromm.

Emma and Joanna and Laura seem to love/be-attracted-to him because of what he has to offer them. They love him because they need that good man, with a heart of gold, who doesn't get scared of their dark side. Because they don't like who they are and they want to change and being with someone like him is like an anchor to them.

Are those interesting relationships? Yes!

But again... I truly love his character. I want more for our boy, you know?

I can expand on this if you think it's an interesting topic. Let me know, please.

I suppose this comes from the trauma of losing his parents, being in an orphanage without being adopted while his brother was and he was constantly being told no one would want him because he was broken. It creates this feeling that you're never good enough and you're never really deserving of love.

But Jean has a huge darkness inside her too. Just like he has.

I don't think anyone is a natural hero, though. Not in the sense that it is easy for them to be like this. I think all of them make a conscious choice to become one. But few can actually do it.

You see the difference?
    I can't respond to all of this on a short break at work, but I can hit 2 points.

Re: Basilisk - while this alternate take isn't an actual facet of Scott's personality, he springs from one, and represents that facet better than anything else I can come up with without a LOT of time brainstorming, and better than anything else I have seen out of Marvel either. So he's a very good stand in until something better cones along, which I doubt is happening anytime soon.

Re: Jean - I realized that I probably left the wrong impression when I said 'I prefer a non-Jean to be..'. That probably came out as me preferring someone else to Jean, when I meant it to be that I'd it wasn't her then for that person to fit the following criteria. The one thing I hate most about Scott's other relationships is that they sometimes seem to be more about Jean than his relationship with the real Jean is. I hate Jean substitutes, and that has been everyone post Lee Forrester with the exceptions of Frenzy and the Laura tease. Especially Emma, as far as I'm concerned. Telepathic therapy from someone always compared unfavorably to Jean - yes, it's about Jean. Basically, if it isn't going to be the real thing, they should actually do something else and not the veneer of something else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I can't respond to all of this on a short break at work, but I can hit 2 points.
    Thank you so much for spending your break replying. :)

I'm so sorry it was too much. I thought your post was really interesting and I love discussing things. But I don't want to hog the thread too much, so I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to take part in the discussion, otherwise I'll reply later, okay? Have a great day there!

Mighty Member

Age of X was a pocket reality created by Legion that existed within 616, iirc. Basilisk is sorta like a what-if / Elseworlds Scott, except that the personality was (initially) hinted to still be inside him because, technically, the versions in Age of X are the real 616 versions. Ergo, it wasn't exactly an alternate universe, and some 616 characters are still running around with their Age of X memories. Like Frenzy.

I didn't read Age of X-Man, but I gathered it's like a bootleg Age of X that Marvel concocted because of creative bankruptcy / stalling for time until Hickman signed the contract.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

But that's the whole point, isn't it? If Scott still has feelings for Emma and Jean doesn't understand why she should keep resisting her crazy attraction to Logan, why would Scott and Jean look at each other and consider going for a poliamorous relationship when they can just break up?.
    You just answered your own question there.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You just answered your own question there.
    Did I? Why didn't they just break up? I honestly don't know.

I agree with your view on Scott and Jean as a couple. Given their current state, I would prefer them separate, but it is what it is.

Regarding Joanna and the idea of a new love interest, I'm rather neutral. However, for a short term relationship, I feel like it might work given it's basically set up to fail and stall time till he either ends up with Jean or Emma again. At the very least it would be a nice change of pace considering Joanna lacks psychic abilities and bears zero similarities to Jean.

Also, I wouldn't worry about taking up space with your comments, I feel like I do that a lot as is. Besides, they're quite well written and provide a nice breakdown of the character.

But I don't believe that is the only part of Scott that Joanna fell in love with. Scott, in one of the biggest ironies of his character, can look at someone and love all the parts of them, or at least not flinch when he sees the parts they themselves are ashamed of. It's a large part of what Emma fell in love with, and I'm pretty sure it was what Laura was falling for in Tyke before the plot got strangled by editorial. The irony, of course, is that Scott has great difficulty accepting that anyone else can look at him the same way.

That darkness that Scott has, and under normal circumstances rejects, is why I prefer a non-Jean partner to be someone who has done time in the darkness themselves, but has either climbed out of their own dark pit, or is in the process of doing so. Not someone who is naturally a hero in her heart, but who has made the conscious choice to become one anyways.
    Interesting post as always. Scott really does think little of himself at times.

I also feel like a relationship with Frenzy might even allow her to move on when things don't work out. She seems caught up on Scott, so being with him might do her some good in the long run.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 05-03-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia