Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked View Post
    I think about this often. In my experience people are quick to write off the optic blast when he's at close range. A lot of the people I've debated comics with have constantly said "well with Cyclops you just have to get close enough and the optic blast wouldn't work". I can understand if a part of this is worry about the damage a close ranged optic blast would do. However on people he knows can survive it, it would be nasty in CQC situations, like having an extra limb to press/punch/trap your opponent with. I joked with friends if Muay Thai is called the art of 8 limbs (fists, elbows, knees, legs) then Scott would have a 9th at his disposal. I was happy to see it thought of in his fight with Logan during Schism. There's just no way he'd think "welp too close now, guess its just fisticuffs".

Movies: Think Scott would be a big sport movie fan? A fondness for rousing couch speeches and montages? "GET UP YOU SON OF A #%@&, CUZ CHARLIE LOVES YA"
    Exactly, Scott should be way more dangerous at any range than he's ever given credit for. He should start using some weapons/devices that serve primarily to become bank-shot points when he needs some.

Rocky for sure, right?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Exactly, Scott should be way more dangerous at any range than he's ever given credit for. He should start using some weapons/devices that serve primarily to become bank-shot points when he needs some.

Rocky for sure, right?
    I was hoping someone caught my reference! Yes I see Scott loving the Rocky/Creed franchise as well as enjoying movies like Rudy. The ones that praise hard work and focus.

Honestly a bank shot off a baton or kali stick would be pretty in a fight. Anything that can make his next move harder to read.

Side note: I've been recently trying to research if there's spectrum of light his visor could filter out the most. If what I've read is correct that should be green, my reason for that was wondering about him carrying things like green flash grenades to blind anyone not wearing ruby quartz around him.

Extraordinary Member

I was hoping someone caught my reference! Yes I see Scott loving the Rocky/Creed franchise as well as enjoying movies like Rudy. The ones that praise hard work and focus.

Honestly a bank shot off a baton or kali stick would be pretty in a fight. Anything that can make his next move harder to read.

Side note: I've been recently trying to research if there's spectrum of light his visor could filter out the most. If what I've read is correct that should be green, my reason for that was wondering about him carrying things like green flash grenades to blind anyone not wearing ruby quartz around him.
    The flash bang idea is a banger(no pun intended).Scott knows how to fight blind as well so if his visor gets damaged he could still fight,not as good as DD and Spidey when blined but still good enough.Also he should carry small blades that he can throw and use to reflect his optic blasts.Or just use the rebound in general.Many people say they want to see him use more powerful blasts but i think for a character such as Scott,Spidey and dazzeler a.k.a. holding back a lot gang using their powers smartly is much more rewarding than brute force.Although every once in a while brute force is appriciated

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I feel like Scott just needs to show off more creativity with his blasts. I'm not sure whether that depends on the writer or artist, but being more creative with his beams is probably something Scott would push more of his focus and training on.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

My roommate and I just rewatched the franchise (minus the fifth one, ugh) and I could see Scott liking the films.

A sword with a sharp tip but blunted edges would make a perfect weapon, specifically to setup shots. And discs for multiple bank points.

Those flash grenades are a neat idea too, we're basically turning Scott into a mutant James Bond.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I feel like Scott just needs to show off more creativity with his blasts. I'm not sure whether that depends on the writer or artist, but being more creative with his beams is probably something Scott would push more of his focus and training on.
    That and they should have a consistent amount of power. Even super-powered individuals should be knocked back and/or hurt by a low-level blast.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Extraordinary Member

That and they should have a consistent amount of power. Even super-powered individuals should be knocked back and/or hurt by a low-level blast.
    Gotta disagree.A low level blast hurts humans and can knock them out easy.Supes will need medium level blasts to do so depending on who it is.
    Also important is the width.Some characters like DD would have trouble dodging against the wider blasts but could dodge the narrower ones.
    Spider-man could dodge them(Spider-sense but super speed and webs(he can brake the sound barrier)).Even when he goes full power he still needs to press the button which gives Spidey enough time to get around(depends on distance).Spidey could tank a mid blast.He once take a small nuke point blank and still mumble something.He has crazy blunt force trauma resistance in general.
    Also question.Can someone like namor take a full on no holding back blast.If so for how long

Mighty Member

Head-canon says Cyke subconsciously modulates the strength of his optic blasts. Like, if Cyke so decides he's going for the kill, you'd need at least Juggernaut / Hulk levels of durability to resist it. What I'm more interested in seeing-- apart from the return of Cyke's heightened spatial awareness schtick / ricochet blasts-- is narrowing his blasts such that they're capable of slicing through, well, anything (a la Goblin Slayer opening a teleport scroll keyed into the bottom of the ocean), as implied in Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes. Now I'm imagining a Superman vs the Elite or JL:Unlimited Superman vs Darkseid moment for Cyke.

Or, playing with Scott's energy absorption again would be cool, too. But alas, we barely get any properly executed mega-optic blast moments, so it's highly doubtful we'll ever get anything else.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Head-canon says Cyke subconsciously modulates the strength of his optic blasts. Like, if Cyke so decides he's going for the kill, you'd need at least Juggernaut / Hulk levels of durability to resist it. What I'm more interested in seeing-- apart from the return of Cyke's heightened spatial awareness schtick / ricochet blasts-- is narrowing his blasts such that they're capable of slicing through, well, anything (a la Goblin Slayer opening a teleport scroll keyed into the bottom of the ocean), as implied in Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes. Now I'm imagining a Superman vs the Elite or JL:Unlimited Superman vs Darkseid moment for Cyke.

Or, playing with Scott's energy absorption again would be cool, too. But alas, we barely get any properly executed mega-optic blast moments, so it's highly doubtful we'll ever get anything else.
    Cool.
    I had to ask can you explain to me your quote on shulkie and logan.I agree but i don't really have a good argument for it

Those Mega Optic Blast moments are pretty rare but lead to some classic moments. My old fave was Cyclops repelling the combined Wrecking Crew and Doctor Octopus with a single Mega Optic Blast in the original Secret Wars. The recent fave includes King in Black, when he, Invisible Woman, Thor, and Doctor Strange were each on a different street in New York, combining their blasts to meet perfectly at the center and create a giant cross, with each blast as wide as a street. It showed just how considerable his own offensive powers are compared to those heavyweights.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Those Mega Optic Blast moments are pretty rare but lead to some classic moments. My old fave was Cyclops repelling the combined Wrecking Crew and Doctor Octopus with a single Mega Optic Blast in the original Secret Wars. The recent fave includes King in Black, when he, Invisible Woman, Thor, and Doctor Strange were each on a different street in New York, combining their blasts to meet perfectly at the center and create a giant cross, with each blast as wide as a street. It showed just how considerable his own offensive powers are compared to those heavyweights.
    Is this the og Secret wars?The one where Spidey beat the X men.Or the new One with Doc Doom and the incursions.
    I do agree they are far apart but that KIB panel was sweet af

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Gotta disagree.A low level blast hurts humans and can knock them out easy.Supes will need medium level blasts to do so depending on who it is.
    Also important is the width.Some characters like DD would have trouble dodging against the wider blasts but could dodge the narrower ones.
    Spider-man could dodge them(Spider-sense but super speed and webs(he can brake the sound barrier)).Even when he goes full power he still needs to press the button which gives Spidey enough time to get around(depends on distance).Spidey could tank a mid blast.He once take a small nuke point blank and still mumble something.He has crazy blunt force trauma resistance in general.
    Also question.Can someone like namor take a full on no holding back blast.If so for how long
    I'm not saying it would seriously hurt them or hurl/toss them, but it should do more than it has lately even against powered characters. And you're talking about higher-tier characters, I meant lower-tier characters.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

You'll never stop me from believing Scott is a big A-Team and The Expendables fan.
    Now that you mention, I'm kinda surprised Cyke never dressed up as Hannibal for Halloween.

Cyclops: "Come on, the white hair, the cigar, 'I love it when a plan comes together???'"
    X-Men: "..............."
    Cyclops: "..............."
    X-Men: "Yeah, no, we just don't remember that Silence of the Lambs dude ever being into cigars, sorry. Great movie, though."

Oh well, on the bright side, thanks to the sliding timescale and Scott's insane early 20s, he's probably not even aware there were Expendables sequels.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Now that you mention, I'm kinda surprised Cyke never dressed up as Hannibal for Halloween.

Cyclops: "Come on, the white hair, the cigar, 'I love it when a plan comes together???'"
    X-Men: "..............."
    X-Men: "Yeah, no, we just don't remember that Silence of the Lambs dude ever being into cigars, sorry. Great movie, though."

Oh well, on the bright side, thanks to the sliding timescale and Scott's insane early 20s, he's probably not even aware there were Expendables sequels.
    I feel like Scott is the type to think of a joke to himself and laugh while everyone else in the room stares confused. I'm not sure why, I just get that impression.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member

I'm not saying it would seriously hurt them or hurl/toss them, but it should do more than it has lately even against powered characters. And you're talking about higher-tier characters, I meant lower-tier characters.
    Oh ok.Power scaling in comics is something that is never going to be consistent.