Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    People, why so much negativity? there were some cool moments in X-men 17# the beam/lighting combo with Storm, the two-way ricochet beam, going with matching x-factor costumes with Jean (and one of his best costumes at that), and a nice amount of action in the background with Jean. I get it if you don't want to buy the next 2 issues because they are going to be about the Vault so I doubt Scott even appears, but the one after that is likely going to be him and Jean creating the next X-men team
    It's not the worst, but for me it's not enough to continue buying the books. I would like to be invested, but he doesn't seem to be involved in much or even contribute that much at this point in time. If things change, I'll give it a chance, but while his characterization as a hero is a large improvement, he doesn't seem to add much to the stories. His biggest arc is with a team that won't be revealed until halfway through the year. Considering X-men is his main title, it leaves me quite disappointed. Legends might be an improvement, but they're from other writers, so it doesn't entirely make up for the disappointment from X-men.

In other words, it just isn't for me at the moment.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 01-27-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I don't feel like Hickman cares for Scott. The stuff he did with him today was embarrassing. spoilers:
    Scott does nothing in this issue except get knocked out by a blow to the head with a hammer and has Jean tend to his unconscious body. Storm and Smasher pick up the slack and proceed to turn the fight around
    end of spoilers. He literally has a total of 3 lines in the entire issue before that happens
    Or maybe Hickman wants to give Cyclops control over his powers. Considering how much training the guy had to do and all that he went through, he must've found some kind of peace and balance within himself, similar to Zuko from the Last Airbender. With Emma's therapy sessions and other things that happened such as the terribly written soul search arc by Rosenberg, Scott had went through drastic character change over time. His new black and blue suit represents that evolution.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Hickman succeeded in a few years what DisMarvel tried for almost a decade: make Cyclops boring again. The fact that we're hoping he gets a few lines each month in the only book he's supposed to be featured in is incredibly sad.
    Cyclops needs a retirement plan soon and live a single life away from everyone else like he always wanted. Chris wanted Scott to move and retire for good until he changed his mind. This time, Hickman intended on achieving this vision

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    People, why so much negativity? there were some cool moments in X-men 17# the beam/lighting combo with Storm, the two-way ricochet beam, going with matching x-factor costumes with Jean (and one of his best costumes at that), and a nice amount of action in the background with Jean. I get it if you don't want to buy the next 2 issues because they are going to be about the Vault so I doubt Scott even appears, but the one after that is likely going to be him and Jean creating the next X-men team
    The thing about Scotty's costumes is that it represents his mindset and evolution as a character. While the yellow color represents his naivety, the color blue represents his loyalty to the X-Men and their cause. As time goes on, the amount of yellow in his costumes slowly diminishes, representing his growth as a character and after his merger with Apocalypse and parting with his wife, Jean Grey for the very last time, which should've stayed permanent, he completely abandons his gold visor to the silver one, representing his maturity and the small amount of gold tells us that he has more to learn. At the same time, his post-merger suits have a darker tone, reminding us that he is no longer the merciful man who considers murder and sacrifices as his last options. His new confident, outspoken and ruthless nature coupling with his calm and collected mentality makes him one of the dangerous beings to deal with. As for the black costumes from Eve of Destruction, Leader of Utopia, Phoenix Five, Revolutionary Era tells us that he is more independent and he is not just exclusive to the X Men and the Dream, but he is there for everyone.
    Finally, the red color tells us that he succumbed to his powers and he had lost control over them whilst the white defines him embracing a larger than life role, which he also tells us by replacing his new black visor with a silver visor. The new Cyclops costume consists of a black wetsuit, representing his new allegiance to all of mutant-kind, while the blue lines remind us that him being an X Man, even if he is going to be there for everyone and the silver visor tells us that he is more mature and living a larger than life role. As such, him wearing a new costume is the same as telling us what his new mentality and approaches are going to be. Since he wore the second X-Factor costume, his approaches will be similar to him trying to imitate Captain America, and it was also from an era where he fails miserably from time and time again. So, Hickman literally told us that something bad is going to happen to this guy by making him wear the X-Factor costume with the gold visor. I just hope that the Captain Commander in Comatose returns with complete control over his blasts and has new things to offer since getting hit on the head is how he lost control over his powers (plus his current behavior tells us that he had overcome his psychological trauma).

Quote Originally Posted by AROSWELL View Post
    The thing about Scotty's costumes is that it represents his mindset and evolution as a character. While the yellow color represents his naivety, the color blue represents his loyalty to the X-Men and their cause. As time goes on, the amount of yellow in his costumes slowly diminishes, representing his growth as a character and after his merger with Apocalypse and parting with his wife, Jean Grey for the very last time, which should've stayed permanent, he completely abandons his gold visor to the silver one, representing his maturity and the small amount of gold tells us that he has more to learn. At the same time, his post-merger suits have a darker tone, reminding us that he is no longer the merciful man who considers murder and sacrifices as his last options. His new confident, outspoken and ruthless nature coupling with his calm and collected mentality makes him one of the dangerous beings to deal with. As for the black costumes from Eve of Destruction, Leader of Utopia, Phoenix Five, Revolutionary Era tells us that he is more independent and he is not just exclusive to the X Men and the Dream, but he is there for everyone.
    Finally, the red color tells us that he succumbed to his powers and he had lost control over them whilst the white defines him embracing a larger than life role, which he also tells us by replacing his new black visor with a silver visor. The new Cyclops costume consists of a black wetsuit, representing his new allegiance to all of mutant-kind, while the blue lines remind us that him being an X Man, even if he is going to be there for everyone and the silver visor tells us that he is more mature and living a larger than life role. As such, him wearing a new costume is the same as telling us what his new mentality and approaches are going to be. Since he wore the second X-Factor costume, his approaches will be similar to him trying to imitate Captain America, and it was also from an era where he fails miserably from time and time again. So, Hickman literally told us that something bad is going to happen to this guy by making him wear the X-Factor costume with the gold visor. I just hope that the Captain Commander in Comatose returns with complete control over his blasts and has new things to offer since getting hit on the head is how he lost control over his powers (plus his current behavior tells us that he had overcome his psychological trauma).
    Never thought about that color analysis, does seem to make sense.
    I do think that using the X-factor costume is more about fulfilling something that was more said than done, that the costumes are going to be treated more like clothes, it's a part of building a distinct mutant culture, so him wearing his old costume is like using different clothes to go to work.

Also, he is using his second X-factor costume, which he started using after Apocalypse, in that time things were much better than when he used his first X-factor costume, his mental health problems weren't as central to his character at that point and it was one of the better parts of his life, raising Cable as a baby, the good times ended with that costume being destroyed in X-factor 60 (which has an image where they use the same resource they used with Cyclops and Rachel in X-men/Alpha flight where they both are drawn with the same chin, in this one Cyclops and Cable are drawn with the same chin in an image where they are side to side giving orders to their respective teams) and the worst parts of the X-factor era, with him losing Cable happened with the third X-force costume (4th arguably, during the X-tinction agenda he uses his 2nd costume but without the headgear, that is my favourite costume)

We already got this scene earlier in the series the last time they went to space to fight alongside the Shi'ar. Jean even does her signature "Scott!" scream

Quote Originally Posted by AROSWELL View Post
    Interesting interpretation. I don't necessarily agree with it, but this is an interesting breakdown.

We already got this scene earlier in the series the last time they went to space to fight alongside the Shi'ar. Jean even does her signature "Scott!" scream

Well, now that you mention it, his interaction with Hordeculture went down a similar path. Scott's adventures seem to always end poorly for him these days.

On a side note, with a hit that hard to his head, he should have a subdural hematoma or a concussion.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 01-28-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

in the Krakoa era, does Summers have genuine control over the blasts or does he absolutely have to wear the goggles?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the Krakoa era, does Summers have genuine control over the blasts or does he absolutely have to wear the goggles?
    Considering he's worn the glasses when he doesnt have the hood and goggles, Id say he doesnt have control over them

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Well, after he was recently resurrected in krakoa, he was immediately given his visor. So it seems he still lacks control. He's probably too used to the visor at this point that he favors it.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Well, after he was recently resurrected in krakoa, he was immediately given his visor. So it seems he still lacks control. He's probably too used to the visor at this point that he favors it.
    which seems odd and inconsistent considering they stated they can be brought back at their peak without any imperfections. Hope should have been able to stabilize his mutation as it was activated so he would have control

which seems odd and inconsistent considering they stated they can be brought back at their peak without any imperfections. Hope should have been able to stabilize his mutation as it was activated so he would have control
    Very true. I feel like it would be an interesting aspect to explore or explain. Then again, Hickman might be following Whedon's interpretation and it's a mental block, not brain damage.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member

Seeing how Scott cracked his dome falling out of a burning plane as a child while protecting his brother, it is possible he might have some degree of enhanced durability.

So, I'm not sweating a blow to the head from an alien with more than average human strength.

IIRC, Scott took some hits, or slashes from Wolverine, and was still in the fight, despite an active Sentinel present.

I like to think some residual energy from his eyes at least gives him a hard head, lol, and a bit more resiliency.

Or, he could really be just tough.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-28-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Just my take, but the Simonson X-Factor custom makes Scott more like Reed Richards.

To me, the 05 living as public heroes during that time made them seem more like the FF, or the first family of mutants.

Ship was more like the mutant answer to the Baxter Building, imo.

IIRC, during the Days of Future Present story, at the end of their chapter, the FF was streaking towards Ship which says a lot, to me.

Speaking of which, it would be crazy if Scott ever runs into Hyperstorm, Jonathan Reed Richards, his grandson by Rachael from a possible future.

Mighty Member

Angry rant ahead:

"It's the start of a new year," I told myself. "Give the X-Men another chance. Support the book."

Then Cyke gets bricked again just so other characters can shine. But I suppose this is peak writing nowadays.

"Oh, so this is how a battered housewife must feel?"

-0-0-0-

I mentioned before how I despise writers that say "[Insert Character] is my favorite character " because, more often than not, it's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy a book. At this point, I'm convinced Hickman doesn't really like writing Cyke or, more likely, has no actual plans for him, and the dude only writes the bare minimum so nobody goes after his head.

We should've remembered that this was the same writer that hyped Cyke just so God Doom could job him by snapping his neck mid-way through an event.

Enjoy the book if you want but, my gawd, standards have lowered abysmally. Even a dead Jean garnered more respect from fans and writers than a living Captain Cameo :x

-0-0-0-

On a different note, the election / poll at the end was pure cringe for me. I get that this book was probably supposed to run during the US election season but, as someone not living in the US, I could only see it as a desperate attempt for reader engagement:

"Hey, uh, fans~~~ can you tell us who your favorite mutant is on this list so we know who we can feature in the book to get you to buy it?"
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie