Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1379

Twitter is salivating. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Not a very high bar. And ain't that quite the understatement! XD

Oh look, another author writing Scott claims Scott is his favorite. Let's add him to the list and believe him this time, I guess? /s

But yeah, I echo gray on this. Writers calling Scott their fave has a bad rep, mostly because, given the past decade, it feels more like a marketing thing than anything. Especially given how said writers depicted Scott over the last decade.

Anyways.

How's Duggan's run so far? Is it another bunch of one-and-dones a la Hickman? I've lurked in the review thread, and the feeling I get is Scott (and to a lesser extent, Jean) are in the background since it's currently focused on developing the rest of the team. The other feeling I get is Duggan's trying to copy Hickman's style which, if true, definitely means this ain't it for me, either.

Covers do look nice, but that's kinda expected for Marvel by this point.
    It isn't just Scott. Several characters have been reduced to the Author's invincible (and boring) fave and their unconscious friends. Or a trauma conga line with no triumphs during the run for the supposed favorite. Over at the distinguished competition, how many have claimed to love Nightwing only to reduce him to the guy who gets his butt kicked so that Batman can look better?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It isn't just Scott. Several characters have been reduced to the Author's invincible (and boring) fave and their unconscious friends. Or a trauma conga line with no triumphs during the run for the supposed favorite. Over at the distinguished competition, how many have claimed to love Nightwing only to reduce him to the guy who gets his butt kicked so that Batman can look better?
    Is... JDW the Didio to Scott's Nightwing? XD really feels like it hahaha

but yeah, I agree it's not exclusive to Cyke. But it definitely feels like a recurring thing lately, so a writer claiming Cyke is their fave is an automatic red flag for me / giant neon "proceed with caution, if you even dare" sign.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

It's certainly an odd predicament. With Cyke, we'll have to wait and see. So far so good.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

The focus on Lorna in Duggan's run doesn't bother me at all, that's exactly what such an underrated character needs
    But it's true that Scott, Rogue and Laura really need their heyday
    I guess with her past with the High Evolutionary, Rogue could be in the spotlight in the next issue, and hopefully it will be Scott for the fourth
    Speaking of Rogue, I was happy to see her interact positively with Scott
    It had been a long time since they had worked together

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    The focus on Lorna in Duggan's run doesn't bother me at all, that's exactly what such an underrated character needs
    But it's true that Scott, Rogue and Laura really need their heyday
    I guess with her past with the High Evolutionary, Rogue could be in the spotlight in the next issue, and hopefully it will be Scott for the fourth
    Speaking of Rogue, I was happy to see her interact positively with Scott
    It had been a long time since they had worked together
    I think Scott is already doing more under Duggan than he did under Hickman - Hickman's Scott came across more as a passive witness who I was hoping would get some development in phase 2, Duggan's Scott seems more active in his panel time.

Both are better than the little Scott appears in X-Force, since that writer revealed his distaste in a recent X-Monday the portrayal makes sense, and I hate it even more after learning that.

It looks like we will see some stuff for the entire cast in X-Men, it's just gonna be hell waiting for whoever's favorite has to come last in line for it, since everything so far seems to be getting praise from the fans.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 08-06-2021 at 04:24 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Amazing Member

I think Scott is already doing more under Duggan than he did under Hickman - Hickman's Scott came across more as a passive witness who I was hoping would get some development in phase 2, Duggan's Scott seems more active in his panel time.

Both are better than the little Scott appears in X-Force, since that writer revealed his distaste in a recent X-Monday the portrayal makes sense, and I hate it even more after learning that.

It looks like we will see some stuff for the entire cast in X-Men, it's just gonna be hell waiting for whoever's favorite has to come last in line for it, since everything so far seems to be getting praise from the fans.
    I think that Hickman's Scott is basically a semi-retired version of him. Having accepted himself for what he is, never trying to take control and let others handle the stuff even if he is more capable. But with events like the X of Swords and Hellfire Gala, Scott is like he had to make a comeback and that is what's happening. He had to form a group on the same level as the Astonishing X-Men and the Extinction Team. Thus the election was created to bring Scott back and considering that Emma is more involved with the Hellfire Club and the Mutant Politics, while Wolverine and Beast cannot play superheroes like they used to, Jean was involved to reveal that while the current team is on par with the Astonishing X-Men and the Extinction Team, it is also similar to the original X-Factor line-up and the 90s X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by AROSWELL View Post
    Jean was involved to reveal that while the current team is on par with the Astonishing X-Men and the Extinction Team, it is also similar to the original X-Factor line-up and the 90s X-Men.
    Jean pushed Scott to go with her and save Nate, which led to her being the first to step down from her position on the Quiet Council, to decline the offer to rejoin, to reveal the formation of the new team, and to publicly announce its elected members. She was not just symbolic or incidental, but pivotal to the formation of the team, of which she is also the co-leader.

We definitely have an improvement. Although, the bar was rather low.

Also, Percy actually revealed his distaste?
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    We definitely have an improvement. Although, the bar was rather low.

Also, Percy actually revealed his distaste?
    I apparently got my mental wires crossed, that was Ewing's interview, where he comes across as still being bitter over the Scott/Ororo duel recon. Very bitter.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I apparently got my mental wires crossed, that was Ewing's interview, where he comes across as still being bitter over the Scott/Ororo duel recon. Very bitter.
    Ah, okay. I feel like Ewing was trying his best to hype Storm and show his appreciation. His recap was a bit inaccurate, retcon aside.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

When an author say this kind of vague stuff, all I read its they aren't that interested on the character, but are writing it anyway.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    When an author say this kind of vague stuff, all I read its they aren't that interested on the character, but are writing it anyway.
    Pretty much. It's like Kevin Smith talking about He-Man. One moment, he can't care any less, but when Netflix comes up to him with a wad of cash, he then markets himself a super-fan.

Ironically, the last dude to write a Cyke I enjoyed reading was Gillen-- the one guy that, iirc, admitted to disliking Cyke and made it a point in his run that Cyke was becoming too obsessed with saving his species to see how his personal relationships were falling apart right in front of him. Now that was quite the fun read.

All we seem to get now is Bystander!Clops. Kudos to Hickman's marketing strategy, I guess. I'd say let's hope Duggan is actually better, but I've been disappointed by DisMarvel (and DC) too many times over the past several years...
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Pretty much. It's like Kevin Smith talking about He-Man. One moment, he can't care any less, but when Netflix comes up to him with a wad of cash, he then markets himself a super-fan.

Ironically, the last dude to write a Cyke I enjoyed reading was Gillen-- the one guy that, iirc, admitted to disliking Cyke and made it a point in his run that Cyke was becoming too obsessed with saving his species to see how his personal relationships were falling apart right in front of him. Now that was quite the fun read.

All we seem to get now is Bystander!Clops. Kudos to Hickman's marketing strategy, I guess. I'd say let's hope Duggan is actually better, but I've been disappointed by DisMarvel (and DC) too many times over the past several years...
    I think most of us are cautious, with good reason. Two issues is too early to tell where this is going, and I'm still not convinced that these are the X-Men, but it's fine so far.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I'm still not convinced that these are the X-Men...
    Who else would they be?