Page 9 of 92 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

LOL...Scott blasted those old ladies and could have easily killed them. He wasnt above hurting them. He got taken out by a sucker shot

The ability to showcase one person in a group without turning the rest into Chump Jobberman and the Inepts is becoming a lost art in comics, sadly.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yes and no.

Sure he was going easy on them, but I have a hard time believing Cyclops(or any X-Man for that matter) aren't skilled enough to handle three old ladies without hurting them.

Even he wouldn't want to hit them, why should he be getting hit? Why couldn't he dodge or block them?

It's just bad writing really.
    One faked that he had broken her hip and when he crouched to help her she sucker punched him

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    hmm I think that Cyke no longer has such strategic coldness ... I mean he is a father or husband which ends up making him more emotional, I don't know if he is good or bad.
    Attachment 105558
    Scott is different from the rest for a reason though. He is far human than anybody else. Mutation and superpowers in real life are like magic. Their sources are neither known, nor the way we can control them. It's like Cyke's beams. But he managed to work around it and even work with it. He transformed his weakness into a weapon. His stoic personality made him an enigma to those around him. Even those who knew him the best find it difficult to understand the guy and that is his charm. Everyone knows Scott is more vulnerable, but at the same time, he is someone untouchable. After Shaw and the Hellfire Club were taken out of the equation and both Magneto and Namor, openly swear their allegiance, Scott is not someone the world can ignore. Every step he makes becomes important and every word he speaks matters. But that is not what he wanted. He wanted to be normal and he wanted to retire. But, Magneto and the Professor knew that he cannot leave, not when the nation is finally formed. Thus he was given a position where he is closer to his peers. He is not like Storm or Exodus, he is someone unique. Someone far human than a mutant, even if he was the first mutant Xavier recruited.
    Yet Hickman is trying something new with him. He wanted to remove Scott out of the equation little by little so that he can go on an arc of his own. With his younger self as a space adventurer alongside his father, we saw a timid and introverted boy growing into a confident and shrewd adventurer. Cyclops' post-ressuruction should involve a solo arc, but he was never given a privilege with. The current Scott found a form of peace within himself and a balance that was never there. Thus, it would be the perfect time for him to become someone else. Someone who is more than a leader, a teacher, husband, friend, student, lover and father.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    One faked that he had broken her hip and when he crouched to help her she sucker punched him
    He can't block a hit from an old lady?! He's not fast enough for that?! He's not used to surprise attacks?!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The ability to showcase one person in a group without turning the rest into Chump Jobberman and the Inepts is becoming a lost art in comics, sadly.
    I'd say it's a time-honored tradition dating back all the way to Claremont era

Astonishing Member

Yes and no.

Sure he was going easy on them, but I have a hard time believing Cyclops(or any X-Man for that matter) aren't skilled enough to handle three old ladies without hurting them.

Even he wouldn't want to hit them, why should he be getting hit? Why couldn't he dodge or block them?

It's just bad writing really.
    Oh for the love of-

It was a silly issue where the X-Men got beat up by a bunch of geriatric old women. Why that incident and cyclops getting bumped on the head with a sledgehammer is being treated so seriously is beyond me because like I mentioned before it's not like Hickman has been writing Cyclops as incompetent and weak. Quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    It might be more glaring now because early on Claremont would rotate his spotlight to different characters. Now we see entire runs devoted to one character with the rest of the team demoted to incompetent hangers-on whose primary purpose is to need saving.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Reminds me of the Proteus Saga, when Cyclops took himself out...

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-05-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Reminds me of the Proteus Saga, when Cyclops took himself out...

Holy hell now THAT'S amazing lol!!

Oh man this thread would have a field day if Hickman pulled off something like this.

Holy hell now THAT'S amazing lol!!

Oh man this thread would have a field day if Hickman pulled off something like this.
    Later during that same arc he fights most of the X-Men by himself and holds his own - Wolverine of all people was shell shocked after the encounter with Proteus.

Bad moments don't stand out as much when the characters have awesome ones to go along with them. It wasn't like the last run of X-Men Blue, where Tyke had less agency to affect the story than random background items. Jeen was at least able to use those to hit people via telekinesis.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Later during that same arc he fights most of the X-Men by himself and holds his own - Wolverine of all people was shell shocked after the encounter with Proteus.

Bad moments don't stand out as much when the characters have awesome ones to go along with them. It wasn't like the last run of X-Men Blue, where Tyke had less agency to affect the story than random background items. Jeen was at least able to use those to hit people via telekinesis.
    The same era where normal humans could tank Cyclops blasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The same era where normal humans could tank Cyclops blasts.
    I hate that SOOOOO much.

Seriously, Cyke's blast have gotten so weak in the last two decades, and maybe even before that. When was the last time he did something that was plain "Holy ****!"? Even that "I want that thing out of my lawn" isn't that great when you remember that the Sentinel which Cyke blasted was already half destroyed beforehand and after blasting it was still in kind of working condition.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I hate that SOOOOO much.

Seriously, Cyke's blast have gotten so weak in the last two decades, and maybe even before that. When was the last time he did something that was plain "Holy ****!"? Even that "I want that thing out of my lawn" isn't that great when you remember that the Sentinel which Cyke blasted was already half destroyed beforehand and after blasting it was still in kind of working condition.
    Particularly since, due to power creep, pretty much everyone's powers increased.

All-New Member

But those "moments here and there" are probably some of the best Scott's been written since the utopia days. I empathize with the frustration I really do but fans have a tendency to become hyperbolic when they feel like their favorite character isn't getting their due.

But like I guess I can wait. Hickman hasn't mishandled him yet he just hasn't given him a definitive story arc yet.
    Since Cyclops was made Captain Commander Krakoa has been invaded, what, like 5 times? And Cyclops has only managed to deliver a setback to the biggest threat to mutankind while destroying the advantage of the element of surprise. From a leadership perspective he's pretty much a failure. Not to mention the fact that he's leaving important leadership decisions to a popularity contest and getting cucked by a runt. If that's not a mishandling of the greatest military leader in X-Men history I don't know what is.