Page 89 of 270 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 4044

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So? You guys elected an orange President.
    Damn lmao.

Anyways, going back to the Starfire discussion, I think it's a larger problem that the DCU looks virtually the same as it did 80 years ago. By now, there should be plenty of immigrants and refugees from other planets, even dimensions, and a hell of a lot more "mutants" like Guppy. That Bludhaven is so boring that Kory would stand out is exactly the problem lol, but again this comes down to DC not advancing anything in any meaningful way since the first few reboots, let alone the more recent ones.

Still, as limited as Nightwing is, and as boring as Bludhaven is, sure, Kory might not fit well. Babs sure does, as does Bruce and every other Bat-character. Perfect for when they need Nightwing to look cool in five panels for the next Batman Event...

Its also a matter of power scaling.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Damn lmao.

Anyways, going back to the Starfire discussion, I think it's a larger problem that the DCU looks virtually the same as it did 80 years ago. By now, there should be plenty of immigrants and refugees from other planets, even dimensions, and a hell of a lot more "mutants" like Guppy. That Bludhaven is so boring that Kory would stand out is exactly the problem lol, but again this comes down to DC not advancing anything in any meaningful way since the first few reboots, let alone the more recent ones.

Still, as limited as Nightwing is, and as boring as Bludhaven is, sure, Kory might not fit well. Babs sure does, as does Bruce and every other Bat-character. Perfect for when they need Nightwing to look cool in five panels for the next Batman Event...
    Young justice is addressing things like that. Earth has become a halfway home for extraterrestrials, meta humans, gnomes and etc

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They had sexual tension all throughout TNBA to the point where Bruce/Babs was only revealed in Batman Beyond...
    Umm...

The seeds for Bruce/Babs were sown (ew) pretty early on in the DCAU. Also as someone who grew up with BOTH BTAS/TNBA and Teen Titans, Dick/Babs were nowhere as prominent in the former as Dick/Kori were in the latter.

If Dick/Babs/Kory went the polyamorous route then how do you make an alien like Starfire fit into the more grounded universe that the Nightwing books typically occupy or do you just have Dick go off to space in his own title?
    There's a certain poetry in 'star performer' Dick Grayson getting to show off among the stars in front of the biggest audience possible, travelling place to place just like in the old days with Haley's. That makes so much more sense than holding him back in gutter hole Bludhaven, which just makes him appear as Batman lite.

Yea and being Batman lite was a problem back then, but now there's two batman running around! Nightwing needs a reboot.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The seeds for Bruce/Babs were sown (ew) pretty early on in the DCAU. Also as someone who grew up with BOTH BTAS/TNBA and Teen Titans, Dick/Babs were nowhere as prominent in the former as Dick/Kori were in the latter.
    As someone who also grew up with both BTAS/TNA and TT, I have to disagree that the initial seeds indicate that something serious was going to happen at that time. The dream sequence establishes that Barbara has a one sided crush on Bruce in a sappy dream sequence...and then is interrupted by Dick (literally taking over as Batman's "voice" to jar her out of the dream and back to reality), whom she had ship teasing scenes in her debut episode as Batgirl and had some more in this very episode. This whole sequence is done in a way to position Barbara's unrealistic and shallow crush on Batman giving way to the more equal ground and realistic option with Dick. Then we have Sub-Zero. They receive relatively less scenes than Dick/Kory in TT throughout TNBA, but we also need to factor in the fact that Dick and Kory are 2/5 of the regular leads of that show but Bruce is the only required regular lead in TNBA while they are support characters. They have the belligerent sexual tension throughout their appearances in TNBA, and their singular cameo in JL is the alternate reality where they are among Bruce's soldiers, explicitly shown kissing and in a romantic light.

So one dream sequence that is conveyed in a way that tells us not to take it seriously doesn't translate to something the audience should seriously expect, it got a backlash for a reason (in addition for being a shitty idea for other reaons). I'd say overall other media DOES favor Starfire, but labeling the other ship as irrelevant or not having much to back it reeks of bias.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So when, how, and why Dick and Babs started dating in comics? In story I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So when, how, and why Dick and Babs started dating in comics? In story I mean.
    In what context we talking about here?

I think Pre-Crisis the biggest seed for it was Babs planting one on Robin to distract him or shut him up.

In Post-Crisis, when they aged Babs down a tad, it was established that Dick had a major crush on her when she first started out and there was a lot of sexual tension between them throughout their careers before Dick moved onto the Titans and got with Starfire, but there was still that tension there.

They didn't start seriously dating until the Dixon-era Nightwing when Babs was Oracle although (if you take that annual as fact) the first time they had sex together was after she got paralyzed and Dick visited her (to tell her about his wedding to Kori).

New 52 it gets kind of murkier. It was basically the same Post-Crisis where they were the same age and had a lot of sexual tension that carried on into adulthood, but it doesn't seem like they ever seriously dated for a long period of time but have kissed and had sex at different periods in time.

Now it's basically a continuity free for all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think Pre-Crisis the biggest seed for it was Babs planting one on Robin to distract him or shut him up.

In Post-Crisis, when they aged Babs down a tad, it was established that Dick had a major crush on her when she first started out and there was a lot of sexual tension between them throughout their careers before Dick moved onto the Titans and got with Starfire, but there was still that tension there.

They didn't start seriously dating until the Dixon-era Nightwing when Babs was Oracle although (if you take that annual as fact) the first time they had sex together was after she got paralyzed and Dick visited her (to tell her about his wedding to Kori).

New 52 it gets kind of murkier. It was basically the same Post-Crisis where they were the same age and had a lot of sexual tension that carried on into adulthood, but it doesn't seem like they ever seriously dated for a long period of time but have kissed and had sex at different periods in time.

Now it's basically a continuity free for all.
    Babs said they dated, before but I cant be sure now. I guess their first engagement is still happened as well. The word murky is correct

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

This one. Thank you.

See what I mean about how Babs does not like to share?

See what I mean about how Babs does not like to share?

I always assumed Oracle's modulator still comes off as feminine, but I guess in-universe it has to be gender neutral for secret identity purposes.

Yeah, Babs doesn't like Kori .

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They receive relatively less scenes than Dick/Kory in TT throughout TNBA, but we also need to factor in the fact that Dick and Kory are 2/5 of the regular leads of that show but Bruce is the only required regular lead in TNBA while they are support characters.
    I mean, my point literally is Dick/Kori received far more exposure for Millennials and Gen Z kids growing up, making it the coupling those kids would be more familiar with, so...

I'd say overall other media DOES favor Starfire, but labeling the other ship as irrelevant or not having much to back it reeks of bias.
    But what I said is Dick/Babs is not really relevant when Dick is operating outside of the Bat-verse, so not getting that context reeks of reading comprehension fail. And since DC will NEVER retire Bruce, there is no point restricting Dick to the Bat-books. At least Barbara has Birds of Prey which while technically a 'Bat-book' is only tangentially so and mostly just because of her and the location. Also, narratively speaking, I don't think the ship being endgame is really interesting for either character and is a bit Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy-esque in that first love being OTP tends to be less interesting than when the character is allowed to develop and mature and then find a partner in someone else, with whom their relationship can be better informed thanks to past experiences. Or I guess the other option is just going Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine/Emma Frost poly, but then again, I feel that works is because BOTH Scott and Jean had iconic love rivals in Logan and Emma respectively. A Dick/Babs/Kori relationship would be too Dick-centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I mean, my point literally is Dick/Kori received far more exposure for Millennials and Gen Z kids growing up, making it the coupling those kids would be more familiar with, so...

But what I said is Dick/Babs is not really relevant when Dick is operating outside of the Bat-verse, so not getting that context reeks of reading comprehension fail. And since DC will NEVER retire Bruce, there is no point restricting Dick to the Bat-books. At least Barbara has Birds of Prey which while technically a 'Bat-book' is only tangentially so and mostly just because of her and the location. Also, narratively speaking, I don't think the ship being endgame is really interesting for either character and is a bit Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy-esque in that first love being OTP tends to be less interesting than when the character is allowed to develop and mature and then find a partner in someone else, with whom their relationship can be better informed thanks to past experiences. Or I guess the other option is just going Cyclops/Jean Grey/Wolverine/Emma Frost poly, but then again, I feel that works is because BOTH Scott and Jean had iconic love rivals in Logan and Emma respectively. A Dick/Babs/Kori relationship would be too Dick-centric.
    Yea I keep saying babs holds dick back by locking him down to batman.