Page 29 of 270 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I understand the logic behind "lets get back to what works", but maybe there is a reason why every time we go back there it eventually turns into ****.
    The original premise was sound, and survived some bad creators like Devin Grayson without requiring an overhaul. It only blew up because of Infinite Crisis and Didio's original plan to kill Dick off and blow up Bludhaven. From there we've had an endless stream of bad editorial, swiftly rotating creators who don't build on what came before, and the book being forced to bend to whatever crap Batman is doing.

The original Dixon style status quo has shown itself to be sustainable, so long as DC doesn't intentionally ruin it. They're the only reason Nightwing has failed or struggled, and we can also see that virtually any time DC puts even a small amount of real effort into the book, it does very well.

That said, it's not a status quo I want to see going forward. At least not long term. A quick refresh to reestablish Dick's mythos? Sure, that's fine. As a permanent status, it's not what I think the franchise needs to elevate. But there's nothing really "wrong" with it either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Dick and Kory are in TTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DickBabs has enough exposure to be considered iconic itself and has the advantage of being limited to the Bat offices. Dick and Kory also, unfortunately, have a history of being horrible to each other as well because that's just how superhero comics are when it comes to drama.
    The problem is that the Babs' pairing has also been quite terrible and it lacks the outside media exposure of the Dick and Kory's one, IMHO.

It's probably "easier" to pair them together because the Bat office don't want to let go of Nightwing (which is honestly a mistake which hinders the character greatly) and it'd be a mess to have Kory under two offices, I guess.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The problem is that the Babs' pairing has also been quite terrible and it lacks the outside media exposure of the Dick and Kory's one, IMHO.

It's probably "easier" to pair them together because the Bat office don't want to let go of Nightwing (which is honestly a mistake which hinders the character greatly) and it'd be a mess to have Kory under two offices, I guess.
    It has BTAS and Young Justice, so it is not without it's own media exposure.

As for which is healthier, the early stages of Dick and Kory's relationship had him being emotionally closed off to her and kind of a condescending jerk, and later she got mad at him for "cheating" on her when he was actually raped by Mirage. Kory at least in the comics doesn't seem to be valid of a long haul romance for either of them. Something that burns bright and hot, but fizzles out .Babs and him get written poorly at times, but they seem more compatible in the long run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

As for which is healthier, the early stages of Dick and Kory's relationship had him being emotionally closed off to her and kind of a condescending jerk, and later she got mad at him for "cheating" on her when he was actually raped by Mirage. Kory at least in the comics doesn't seem to be valid of a long haul romance for either of them. Something that burns bright and hot, but fizzles out .Babs and him get written poorly at times, but they seem more compatible in the long run.
    To be fair, I have understood Barbara also slut-shamed Dick when he was raped by Tarantula.

So, that's probably on writers that don't take men being raped by women seriously, not characters being toxic in relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The original Dixon style status quo has shown itself to be sustainable
    Sustainable in boxing Nightwing in as a Batman-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Of course, in B:TAS it kind of fizzled out pretty badly...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course, in B:TAS it kind of fizzled out pretty badly...
    Don't you just love when your adoptive father has an affair with your ex-girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Don't you just love when your adoptive father has an affair with your ex-girlfriend?
    Well, that came afterwards, but I guess one can see that being the initiation of the relationship and screwing Dick over.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, that came afterwards, but I guess one can see that being the initiation of the relationship and screwing Dick over.
    The Bat-Family's very own baby mama drama.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Back in blue. The selling point for his past two relaunches lmao
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Every time they are about take the next step something bad happens that derail Nightwing or resets
    their relationship was strong and very real during his initial nightwing solo.

Dick has never turned back to kory as an adult. The issue is that Kory has been more or less stuck for decades with her only other notable post love interest have been Roy, which is a dead end due to his invetable relationships with cheshire and childhood friend Donna Troy. Kory will NEVER be adopted by the bat office. Dick Grayson might move at slow pace but he will never be lost in the shuffle of endless Titan characters. Even more so Kory is not a teenager anymore so her status is dependent alot on who leads the titans, when its not Dick she can get lost, she needs him more then he needs her. To most people who are a fan of starfire, her perfect world, her happy ending must include him. That's not fair.

This is not the case with Babs. She started her journey to help her father and earn the respect and trust of batman. In that first year she became comrade a companion and unspoken crush of dick. They were not serious as kids but they were kids. Babs has an incredible tenure as Batgirl until her paralyzation, and continued on with her second alias as Oracle. She gets to coordinate for Batman, The Justice league, The Titans, Waller and Lead her own team . She amassed endless number of allies connections, mentored other young women and passed down her title . She is a full character who is held back by nothing and DC has never lost interest in her, she never disappears.

I cannot understand how people think that Barbara who is equally as strong a pillar of the Bat family the dominating and property brand of DC could ever be detrimental to Dick Grayson.
    They make each other stronger. They are matured season individual who are both a force to reckoned with.

Batgirl/Babs appears everywhere in media and with DC intent in bringing her into the frontlines in films
    That give Nightwing/Dick Grayson a door he can enter because just as Superman always has his lois she will have her Grayson.

FYI post the teen titans animated series
    Dick Grayson and Babs have appeared in and soon to follow up in I am hopeful for Nightwing to also appear in
    The Batman Gotham Knights Harley Quinn
    Teen Titans Go Titans
    Young Justice

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Every time they are about take the next step something bad happens that derail Nightwing or resets
    their relationship was strong and very real during his initial nightwing solo.

Dick has never turned back to kory as an adult. The issue is that Kory has been more or less stuck for decades with her only other notable post love interest have been Roy, which is a dead end due to his invetable relationships with cheshire and childhood friend Donna Troy. Kory will NEVER be adopted by the bat office. Dick Grayson might move at slow pace but he will never be lost in the shuffle of endless Titan characters. Even more so Kory is not a teenager anymore so her status is dependent alot on who leads the titans, when its not Dick she can get lost, she needs him more then he needs her. To most people who are a fan of starfire, her perfect world, her happy ending must include him. That's not fair.

This is not the case with Babs. She started her journey to help her father and earn the respect and trust of batman. In that first year she became comrade a companion and unspoken crush of dick. They were not serious as kids but they were kids. Babs has an incredible tenure as Batgirl until her paralyzation, and continued on with her second alias as Oracle. She gets to coordinate for Batman, The Justice league, The Titans, Waller and Lead her own team . She amassed endless number of allies connections, mentored other young women and passed down her title . She is a full character who is held back by nothing and DC has never lost interest in her, she never disappears.

I cannot understand how people think that Barbara who is equally as strong a pillar of the Bat family the dominating and property brand of DC could ever be detrimental to Dick Grayson.
    They make each other stronger. They are matured season individual who are both a force to reckoned with.

Batgirl/Babs appears everywhere in media and with DC intent in bringing her into the frontlines in films
    That give Nightwing/Dick Grayson a door he can enter because just as Superman always has his lois she will have her Grayson.

FYI post the teen titans animated series
    Dick Grayson and Babs have appeared in and soon to follow up in I am hopeful for Nightwing to also appear in
    The Batman Gotham Knights Harley Quinn
    Teen Titans Go Titans
    Young Justice
    I've understood the part of Dick having a crush on Barbara when he was Robin is a retcon from Dixon.

This crush doesn't exist in the original stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Good for Barbara I guess, but I don't get why you think that benefits Nightwing. If he is going to be stuck being someone's sidekick, Batman is so much better option than Batgirl.

This paring is really becoming shackles, befoe I would have say for botht of them but it seems like she is great, it's only Dick's life, experiences and history being discarded to make room for the ship... and now his title.

But hey!, now that DC is co-opting every aspect of Dick's 70 years narrative, as a family activity he may have the oportunity of apear in someone else's movie. Fantastic!

Talking about their greatest hits, does anyone remember that time they got engaged in the beginning of a crisis and when the world didn't end, she dumped with a letter? I'm misremembering that one?