Page 255 of 270 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 4044

Bruce was such an asshole in Robin & Batman, had me cackling. Really enjoyed seeing Dick interact with the Titans, why can’t we get something this engaging in an actual Titans book nowadays?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Robin and Batman is interesting because Bruce isn’t trying to be a jerk or mean, he just doesn’t know any better. Its just that, that is how he processes and copes. He trying to pass on what works for him onto Dick.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-15-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Robin and Batman in interesting because Bruce isn’t trying to be a jerk or mean, he just doesn’t know any better. Its just that that is how he processes and copes. He trying to pass on what works for him onto Dick.
    Interesting contrast with YJ Bruce who seems like he was deliberately trying to make sure Dick didn't end up like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyvinnegar View Post
    So what did y'all think about Dick's christmas story from Urban Legends #10 ? I thought it was pretty nice even tho it felt kinda off with the fear state crossover (mosy likely Tini wrote that story before fs ending I guess ?) still fun to read
    Gotta say I just love the way bat-writers are making Dick and Barbara interact currently as a couple, they just feel like a couple which has been married for +10 years lol
    Attachment 116250
    I was a pretty big fan of it overall, but I wouldn't use that Babs interaction as the one to look to. It feels like everytime Dick and Babs interacts, she's just an asshole to him lmao. One of the small plusses of Taylor's run is Babs is at least mostly supportive of Dick and so they generally have positive interactions with each other. Like, it was pretty minor so it didn't bother me too much, especially since it's not like Babs was intentionally lashing out. The story establishes everyone misses Alfred and Dick is the glue for the family during Christmas time, so it makes sense. Cass in general also makes the ending strong enough that it works lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Interesting contrast with YJ Bruce who seems like he was deliberately trying to make sure Dick didn't end up like him.
    TO be fair, that was 4 years into Dick being Robin. This Batman can also start to change towards that direction by the end of the story.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 12-15-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I put a voice to it in my head, imagine letting your gf see you like that
    Usually dick is angry but this daddy doesn’t love me moment is hilarious until little Jason is seen outside
    Oh, btw you're half right about Tumblr. While one half likes it because it's funny, the other half doesn't like it because Dick shouldn't feel guilty. That he has the right to refuse to join in the Christmas celebration with either Titans or the family because he was fired from Robin. So of course he doesn't wanna call Bruce. (I think they view the Christmas invite from Bruce and Dick angry about it as related to the whole fired from Robin thing. An apology and waiting for an apology for the firing)

Extraordinary Member

What I find a little confusing is that there is photo in the beginning that shows him celebrate Christmas with Jason and Bruce, so was that the year before or the year after?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I was a pretty big fan of it overall, but I wouldn't use that Babs interaction as the one to look to. It feels like everytime Dick and Babs interacts, she's just an asshole to him lmao. One of the small plusses of Taylor's run is Babs is at least mostly supportive of Dick and so they generally have positive interactions with each other. Like, it was pretty minor so it didn't bother me too much, especially since it's not like Babs was intentionally lashing out. The story establishes everyone misses Alfred and Dick is the glue for the family during Christmas time, so it makes sense. Cass in general also makes the ending strong enough that it works lol.
    This is a perf assessment of Dick Babs and why I have trouble supporting it. Ill give Tom Taylor credit for making Dick Babs palatable, but it doenst excuse the countless moments they have had where their relationship is just not working. Like I think in the Urban Legends story the aggressiveness from Babs was something I noticed but I'm so used to her treating Dick that way, and Dick just being a punching bag, that I now just overlook it and move on and try to enjoy the story for what it is.

It is possible to enjoy something and then understand its flaws and how it sets a poor example of character. One should always point it out, but as long as there is a growth from it; I think it's ok. Taylor's DickBabs isn't growth per se, but its a step in the right direction for how Babs treats Dick but not the other way around. A better example of this is the batman and robin story. Yes, the way Bruce treats Dick sets a really horrible example of their relationship, but Dick and Bruce both change from their experience and that makes it worth the read to understand why they are the way they are. As long as there is growth and a payoff, then I'm ok with it. I think people forget that. It's just when people force it on a character or force a OOC development to happen that it becomes a problem.

Character growth shouldn't reinforce a negative thing, but instead support a positive direction. I wish more people were as critical of the way Dick is treated by Babs as they are about the treatment he gets from Bruce. If the development for Babs is her being nicer in Taylor's run, then the development for Dick should be about not wanting to be around her because she treats him badly and needing space, but also acknowledging that she is trying to be a nicer person towards him. It's a good way to play off the development and eventually they can come back around as changed people, hopefully as friends/family.

Idk maybe I also just want to see Dick for once regrow that backbone and tell the batfam to F-off with their treatment of him and tell them that they either need to treat him like they actually want him around or he is leaving. I also am in favor of Dick punching Bruce BTAS style.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    What I find a little confusing is that there is photo in the beginning that shows him celebrate Christmas with Jason and Bruce, so was that the year before or the year after?
    was it jason and bruce or tim and bruce?

whats funnier a ewweeks ago we had a very mature teen grayson checking in on his little brother jason, so this is just hilarious

Extraordinary Member

was it jason and bruce or tim and bruce?
    That's pretty definitely Jason he is wearing the classic Robin Suit, Dick is in the Discowing Suit and Barbara is still Batgirl (Killing Joke happened when Jason was still Robin).

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    Idk maybe I also just want to see Dick for once regrow that backbone and tell the batfam to F-off with their treatment of him and tell them that they either need to treat him like they actually want him around or he is leaving. I also am in favor of Dick punching Bruce BTAS style.
    I really enjoyed Dick's advice to Tim in the recent Urban Legends for a similar reason to this. Dick finally says no, Bruce's mental health isn't my responsibility. It's minor, but I've been hoping for something like this for years.

Extraordinary Member

whats funnier a ewweeks ago we had a very mature teen grayson checking in on his little brother jason, so this is just hilarious
    The problem I have with stories like that is that the interaction between Dick and post crisis Jason was so limited (Batman #416 is really the only time they interact), that their whole dynamic is basically a retcon, and it often really feels inconsistent since their relation back than was never really fleshed out (same goes for Barbara and Jason).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The problem I have with stories like that is that the interaction between Dick and post crisis Jason was so limited (Batman #416 is really the only time they interact), that their whole dynamic is basically a retcon, and it often really feels inconsistent since their relation back than was never really fleshed out (same goes for Barbara and Jason).
    Dick was hurt and angry so he didnt interact much with Jason, and then felt guilty when he died, hence why he takes interest and is so protective of tim and Damian
    the retcons is what made Jason into the angry loose cannon robin, and those intractions are made out to be not the best

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    Character growth shouldn't reinforce a negative thing, but instead support a positive direction. I wish more people were as critical of the way Dick is treated by Babs as they are about the treatment he gets from Bruce. If the development for Babs is her being nicer in Taylor's run, then the development for Dick should be about not wanting to be around her because she treats him badly and needing space, but also acknowledging that she is trying to be a nicer person towards him. It's a good way to play off the development and eventually they can come back around as changed people, hopefully as friends/family.
    You really turned a little couple interaction into some theory about Barbara being abusive towards Dick just wow
    Let's take a look into it:
    Dick just went off, ignored their calls and made the whole family worried and about to put their own lives on risk to look for him yeah that was kinda of a dick move I mean can anyone blame Barbara for getting mad at him ? lol
    I feel like you're only focusing on Barbara being mad and ignoring the fact she's cleary very worried about him, in the last page she goes straight to hug with a relieved expression on her face, this is just how their dynamic has been since nightwing x oracle became a thing in the comics, in Taylor's run Barbara still gets mad at Dick when he goes to fight blockbuster on the top of a building while still recovering from a shot in the head

You really turned a little couple interaction into some theory about Barbara being abusive towards Dick just wow
    Dick just went off, ignored their calls and made the whole family worried and about to put their own lives on risk to look for him yeah that was kinda of a dick move I mean can anyone blame Barbara for getting mad at him ? lol
    I feel like you're only focusing on Barbara being mad and ignoring the fact she's cleary very worried about him, in the last page she goes straight to hug with a relieved expression on her face, this is just how their dynamic has been since nightwing x oracle became a thing in the comics, in Taylor's run Barbara still gets mad at Dick when he goes to fight blockbuster on the top of a building while still recovering from a shot in the head
    ...gee, it sounds like the relationship is just not good.

Sorry if it sounded like that to you but the person I was responding to made a comment about the overall treatment of Dick by Babs and that's what I was commenting on. To quote specifically, they said "It feels like everytime Dick and Babs interacts, she's just an asshole to him lmao."

But I don't think that dynamic you talk about is one that should be projected as healthy, but if that's your thing that's your thing, its just not something I personally want to support.