Page 39 of 270 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

If a big part of infinite frontier is about moving the dcu forward than batman should join the totality and nightwing move up the justice league.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    If a big part of infinite frontier is about moving the dcu forward than batman should join the totality and nightwing move up the justice league.
    The level of threat that requires The Totality would be really rare. In the interim he's staying in the main League.

I doubt that this Totality thing is going to last, very likely that couple of years later everyone will have forgotten that it even existed.

I honestly don't think there is a "greater DCU" anymore. Stuff like the JL and even the Titans is all the same, it's just big combination IPs. Nothing the JL does is actually any more important than anything else, it just gets better marketing and becomes event generators. Granted, Bendis' run hasn't started yet, but besides his own character Naomi being added, it looks pretty by the numbers to me. Switched around a few characters for the illusion of change, and that's about it. Not saying they can't do something cool or interesting, just that it's not going to be "pushing" the universe forward or anything like that.

As much as I used to want Dick to take bigger roles in-universe, I'm not even sure there are any. The biggest roles would just put him in the background, like the Totality, or stick him in crowded groups where he's just the Black Adam or Hippolyta, a substitute character or marketing bait.

Honestly, I'm grateful for Snyder's JL run and the filler runs that came after because it really put the JL book in perspective for me lol. It seemed important because of the marketing, but as soon as Snyder's events started up, the JL book just went largely forgotten or ignored until the event was over and readers had to return to the JL book for the next event's buildup.

Anyways, back on topic. I feel Nightwing is just fine doing the things he's about to be doing in Infinite Frontier. He has a real purpose in both books (well, it's hard to say he actually has a "purpose" in Bludhaven, but Taylor's run seems like it's making the case), and that's better than forcing him into places that'll be a dead-end for him. Just have to wait and see where things go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I doubt that this Totality thing is going to last, very likely that couple of years later everyone will have forgotten that it even existed.
    A couple of years sound enough if Williamson's gonna continue the thread they left off in Metal... that the next, bigger threat would be the other Hands, the brothers of Perpetua

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I honestly don't think there is a "greater DCU" anymore. Stuff like the JL and even the Titans is all the same, it's just big combination IPs. Nothing the JL does is actually any more important than anything else, it just gets better marketing and becomes event generators.
    DCU level event generating is what makes them important. Metal is removed from other stories it's almost an alternate universe but Year of The Villain affect all books, and during Johns run, it's where the overarching story starts and ends.

But it depends if the writer's capable or want to generate events or not. If not, then it's gonna be like 90s-2000s JLA where it runs its own story and not more important than other books.

Might just be me, but if I was given the choice between Dick's ongoing being good, character driven, and given creative freedom OR him being at the center of a "larger DCU event" or on the JL, I'd pick the good ongoing ten times out of ten. Seeley's review is the single most encouraging thing I've seen so far.
    Last edited by dropkickjake; 02-25-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah it was an open secret who kept f****** with Nightwing and derailing plans. So many great runs we could’ve had just kept getting ruined by editorial bull**** and crippling the character’s potential.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Higgins deleted his account.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-26-2021 at 04:52 AM.

Someone told me that editors won't have has much control. I hope that's true because I dislike how Dc generally traps him only in the Batfam. He is more than just a Batfam. They keep saying he is a respected hero to many others. Have other heroes join in his comics. Not just Batfam. I would love Superman and Nightwing miniseries

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Someone told me that editors won't have has much control. I hope that's true because I dislike how Dc generally traps him only in the Batfam. He is more than just a Batfam. They keep saying he is a respected hero to many others. Have other heroes join in his comics. Not just Batfam. I would love Superman and Nightwing miniseries
    The known micromanager, and he's fired because of it, is Didio, but if he's the only one, then good.

Btw most of the Nightwing review I saw so far has been really vague, but ScreenRant has hints of the content

"Dick may or may not need to save the city by the run's end, but this issue wisely decides to start things small."

"One word that every single page of this book evokes is confidence. There are no big reveals, no pointless cameos, and the biggest fight scene is all about Dick saving a dog from some goons."

"It's telling that the issue's big fight scene sees Nightwing saving a three-legged puppy from a group of thugs. The bits of a larger plot in this issue hint that he'll take on political corruption and organized crime later in the series, but here, in the first issue, the creative thought it important to show that no problem is too small for this hero."
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-25-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Oh damn, Higgins deleted his account? That's suspicious timing. Especially because Radiant Black just came out, he depends on self-promotion.

Bob Harras was also on Nightwing up to #74, who is gone too and is also one of the editors, who people think Jimenez might have meant when he criticized editorial's handling of Rebirth's Superwoman a few days ago.

A slice-of-hero-life Issue with some plot threads sounds good.

All the promotion honestly makes me wonder why they didn't slap a one on it too or decided on legacy numbering considering they missed the opportunity to bring new creatives in for Dick's return as Nightwing. I hope sticking to the numbering means they'll integrate the things fans liked about Rebirth (and forget the rest after their joke).

Incredible Member

Caved in and read the AIPT Review.

I'm doing my best not to get my hopes up but damn it's hard.

Apart from the review itself, I have a high degree of faith in the creative team and the preview so far is good.

Can't wait for this.

Had initially thought "why not relaunch the series as a new volume" but then remembered Witchblade and Marz coming onboard at issue 80.

That worked well for all so...

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Oh damn, Higgins deleted his account? That's suspicious timing. Especially because Radiant Black just came out, he depends on self-promotion.

Bob Harras was also on Nightwing up to #74, who is gone too and is also one of the editors, who people think Jimenez might have meant when he criticized editorial's handling of Rebirth's Superwoman a few days ago.

A slice-of-hero-life Issue with some plot threads sounds good.

All the promotion honestly makes me wonder why they didn't slap a one on it too or decided on legacy numbering considering they missed the opportunity to bring new creatives in for Dick's return as Nightwing. I hope sticking to the numbering means they'll integrate the things fans liked about Rebirth (and forget the rest after their joke).
    Ya, I know Didio is a lightning rod but when it came to Ric that has more of Harras finger prints with his go to protected creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, I know Didio is a lightning rod but when it came to Ric that has more of Harras finger prints with his go to protected creators.
    protected creators?

Why do you think guys like Lobdell were around for as long as he was.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-26-2021 at 05:10 AM.