Page 121 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 4044
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Cover for the thrid print of Nightwing 78.

when does it come out?
    I dont think it is as cool as the previous covers so hopefully I can finally get it phsically

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    when does it come out?
    I dont think it is as cool as the previous covers so hopefully I can finally get it phsically
    Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Is Nightwing 78 going to third printing? Did we know that?

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY218493
    In Shops: Jul 27, 2021
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Cover for the thrid print of Nightwing 78.

I'm honestly tempted to think this might actually happen with the way Taylor writes .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm honestly tempted to think this might actually happen with the way Taylor writes .
    If it's even half as good as his run so far, I look forward to it!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I could definitely see a Nightwing Annual focusing on Bitewing

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I suspect the part with uncle Clark will never be remembered for a movie.

Unfortunately, Nightwing name is more associated with Batman (due to Dick). Very few people know that name has a "Kryptonian origin".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Most likely. The only way I can see an adaptation using the Kryptonian origin for the name is if the show was actively trying to expand the IP beyond the usual Gotham influences. Like, a straight adaptation of Judas, when Dick first put on the Nightwing suit, might use the Kryptonian origin just because it fits neatly with the other aliens, demons, etc., that populated the NTT.

But no, I don't think the real origins of the Nightwing name will find its way into any adaptation. It should; it's a hell of a way to showcase Dick's wide-ranging relationships across the DCU. But I doubt it'll ever happen.
    I see a lot of Nightwing fans bring this up, but does it really matter? I get why we're so concerned with the connection to Superman, but it's not like any Superman fan cares. And Superman creators definitely don't care. When was the last time Dick was even casually relevant to a mainline Superman story? That one DC You Action Comics crossover during the Grayson era? What about before that? It gets worse when you look at other media adaptations as well, it's either very bat-centric or just not interested in touching it. At this point, the Superman connection is more of a trivia point than anything else.

I say all that to say it'd be nice if it did matter more. I'm mostly just salty lol, but maybe Taylor will change things moving forward. Like, Jon's been around since 2016 and he has never met Dick. You know, supposedly one of Clark's most trusted allies, the first kid "raised" by the hero community and Clark in particular, and an Earthling operating with a Kryptonian name. Apparently none of that is important enough for Dick to have even been relevant for a single page. And that's not considering the Super Sons book was written by Tomasi, a former Nightwing writer and self-professed fan. Either he wasn't allowed to do it, speaking to the greater culture from editorial that we've discussed oh so much, or even he didn't care enough about the Nightwing connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    [...]

I say all that to say it'd be nice if it did matter more. I'm mostly just salty lol, but maybe Taylor will change things moving forward. Like, Jon's been around since 2016 and he has never met Dick. You know, supposedly one of Clark's most trusted allies, the first kid "raised" by the hero community and Clark in particular, and an Earthling operating with a Kryptonian name. Apparently none of that is important enough for Dick to have even been relevant for a single page. And that's not considering the Super Sons book was written by Tomasi, a former Nightwing writer and self-professed fan. Either he wasn't allowed to do it, speaking to the greater culture from editorial that we've discussed oh so much, or even he didn't care enough about the Nightwing connection.

You're right. Dick hasn't been important enough to get introduced to Jon.

And I'd argue that's not only a "Clark and Dick" problem. It's also a "Damian and Dick" problem. Dick hasn't been important to the DCU and neither to Damian. Some of that has to do with the fact that Dick has been taken out of the DCU started for more years than not since the N52, the other with making Dick just another brother to Damian instead of keeping their unique dynamic alive.

Dick's solo title made an effort to show his relationships with Damian and Clark during Rebirth as soon as it didn't or couldn't anymore these relationships died.

It could have been because of editorial, but it's too early to say if things are about to change. From what I have seen of Robin it doesn't look like it except if #5 suddenly remembers that Dick had a hand in Damian becoming Robin. And sure, Taylor joked about a Robin - Superman:SOK - Nightwing crossover, but that's all it was. A joke.

All I know is that Dick's reach into the DCU was far greater when Mark Doyle was still Bat editor.

Dick's second stint as Batman, when he made Damian Robin, was never removed from canon, was it? Didn't New 52 Nightwing start with him returning to his own mantle, rather than just always having been Nightwing since he stopped being Robin?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    You're right. Dick hasn't been important enough to get introduced to Jon.

And I'd argue that's not only a "Clark and Dick" problem. It's also a "Damian and Dick" problem. Dick hasn't been important to the DCU and neither to Damian. Some of that has to do with the fact that Dick has been taken out of the DCU started for more years than not since the N52, the other with making Dick just another brother to Damian instead of keeping their unique dynamic alive.

Dick's solo title made an effort to show his relationships with Damian and Clark during Rebirth as soon as it didn't or couldn't anymore these relationships died.

It could have been because of editorial, but it's too early to say if things are about to change. From what I have seen of Robin it doesn't look like it except if #5 suddenly remembers that Dick had a hand in Damian becoming Robin. And sure, Taylor joked about a Robin - Superman:SOK - Nightwing crossover, but that's all it was. A joke.

All I know is that Dick's reach into the DCU was far greater when Mark Doyle was still Bat editor.
    Dick’s important enough just on the basis of being the first Robin. Just between that and contrasting Damian, there plenty enough reason and importance there to easily do it. And it’s not like Jon is a character only important characters get to meet. It’s just not something they have wanted to do, and for the last 3 years there was Ric and that whole agenda. The only writers that got to use Dick seemed to have to been either really big with big influence, or really low with friends in right places. So Dick hasn’t been meeting with anyone. No one wanted to touch that stink with a 10ft pole. And unfortunately during that time Jon kind of went to **** and his character has gone into a direction that the meeting wouldn’t really be that interesting anymore. He’s no longer that doe eyed kid, but this angst driven young adult.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-25-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Yeah dick's independence from batman and connections to the greater dcu are becoming less and less relevant as time goes on, and at the same time the batfam is growing bigger and bigger.

But hey I've come to accept that this is what nightwing is now, just another Robin for batman.

Also dick making Damian robin will become as irrelevant as the nightwing kryptonian origin. We all see it coming just a matter of time because nightwing is just another bat sidekick himself.

If they would just invert the why nightwing is run. Like make his solo the dcu book and his team book can be the bat books.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Dick's second stint as Batman, when he made Damian Robin, was never removed from canon, was it? Didn't New 52 Nightwing start with him returning to his own mantle, rather than just always having been Nightwing since he stopped being Robin?
    Yes, Dick being Batman was never out of continuity. The New52 still put a lot of attention on Damian's and Dick's relationship.

It continued in DCYou when Dick's "ghost" cameoed in Robin:SOB because Dick was "dead". Grayson showed their heartfelt reunion. The first 1 1/2 Nightwing Rebirth years still featured Damian from now and then, which imo marks the end of depicting their unique dynamic at the moment.

The second Ric happened Damian obviously doesn't fit into the anti-Bats-Ric era anymore except for the flashback Annual. Dick is a non-issue for Damian in TT until the last Issue where he is all of a sudden one of the reasons why Damian "goes off the deep end". Their reunion in Tec was botched/they never got one. TT didn't show one. Dick just has the letter. And in the few out-of-continuity Gotham Nights stuff, their dynamic isn't distinctive either.

IF Robin shows Damian's history but only with Bruce, and IF Nightwing doesn't care about Damian either.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dick’s important enough just on the basis of being the first Robin. Just between that and contrasting Damian, there plenty enough reason and importance there to easily do it. And it’s not like Jon is a character only important characters get to meet. It’s just not something they have wanted to do, and for the last 3 years there was Ric and that whole agenda. The only writers the got to use Dick seemed to have to been either really big with big influence, or really low with friends in right places. So Dick hasn’t been meeting with anyone. No one wanted to touch that stink with a 10ft pole. And unfortunately during during that time Jon kind of went to **** and his character has gone into a direction that the meeting wouldn’t really be that interesting anymore. He’s no longer that doe eyed kid, but an angst driven young adult.
    Sure, but where has that contrast been? The last time it was showcased was the Nightwing Annual with the Owls... or did Damian just dramatically perch on Dick's bed and that was it? I honestly don't remember.

I agree that it has a lot to do with Ric, but isn't the whole point of Super Sons that it is out of continuity, which means neither Ric nor the botching of Jon would have any influence on Dick meeting him? Also, as far as I know, Dick hasn't even ever been mentioned in front of Jon. Technically, Jon doesn't even know Dick exists.
    Last edited by Avi; 06-25-2021 at 03:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think in Young Justice the Flying Graysons were like a whole, large, family unit that died.

I don't know why....a big family felt more carny?
    I don't know how large they are but it sounds like they're making sure ALL the Graysons die so no one but Bruce can adopt him lol

I see a lot of Nightwing fans bring this up, but does it really matter?.
    Not really, no.

The Kryptonian aspect of the Nightwing name only matters for a couple reasons. First, it gives weight and meaning behind "Nightwing." Rather than some random name Dick pulled out of his ass, it speaks to the kind of hero Dick wants to be and the kind of person he looks up to and wants to emulate. And it's telling that the name comes from uncle Clark and not Bruce. That's important because it reminds us that Dick is one of the few people who will actively call Bruce out on his bullshit and not just shrug it off with a "he's Batman! Whatyagonnado?!"

It also helps reinforce Dick's connections to the wider DCU. It's not just a connection to Superman, it's a statement that Dick isn't *just* a Gotham kid, that the whole DCU is his playground and he's got ties everywhere.

None of this is a major thing, or so critical to Dick's character you ruin him by changing it. It really is, and always has been, little more than trivia. But it's not just the logistics of the name's origin, it's about the approach to Dick as an IP. When DC acknowledges that Kryptonian origin of Nightwing, Dick gets written and treated as more of his own man. When the origins of Nightwing are ignored or changed to better reflect Gotham's "grounded" narrative soil, Dick gets written and treated like a sidekick.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The writer's different so it depends on Taylor
    You think Taylor will at least have other characters appear other than the Bats?

I see a lot of Nightwing fans bring this up, but does it really matter? I get why we're so concerned with the connection to Superman, but it's not like any Superman fan cares. And Superman creators definitely don't care. When was the last time Dick was even casually relevant to a mainline Superman story? That one DC You Action Comics crossover during the Grayson era? What about before that? It gets worse when you look at other media adaptations as well, it's either very bat-centric or just not interested in touching it. At this point, the Superman connection is more of a trivia point than anything else.

It´is another piece of Nightwing´s character that is lost, making him a lesser character.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You think Taylor will at least have other characters appear other than the Bats?
    No. he is a Batman sidekick in that book, not reason to get the readers confused like he was something more.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 06-26-2021 at 11:34 PM.