Page 129 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 4044

Grayson to me felt like Dick was playing in an entirely different corner of the DCU.

it doesn't matter that how big Midnighter is or that he has shown up for later stories. It doesn't matter that Spyral was something that Morrison touched on It still felt new and refreshing and a world away from Gotham and the usually Bat/nightwing typical stories.

The world/workings of Spyral that were presented in Grayson felt and looked nothing like Gotham.

It felt like Dick was a part of the larger DCU which is just as important as him delving into the greater DCU.

Dick doesn't need to be part of any important events or go up against established villians. The new character's and a not so huge Bad guy still worked.

he doesn't need to go up against Trigon, Deathstroke or some Magical mystical deity for the grayson to invoke that feeling of 'the larger DCU'
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-11-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Grayson to me felt like Dick was playing in an entirely different corner of the DCU.

it doesn't matter that how big Midnighter is or that he has shown up for later stories. It doesn't matter that Spyral was something that Morrison touched on It still felt new and refreshing and a world away from Gotham and the usually Bat/nightwing typical stories.

The world/workings of Spyral that were presented in Grayson felt and looked nothing like Gotham.

It felt like Dick was a part of the larger DCU which is just as important as him delving into the greater DCU.

Dick doesn't need to be part of any important events or go up against established villians. The new character's and a not so huge Bad guy still worked.

he doesn't need to go up against Trigon, Deathstroke or some Magical mystical deity for the grayson to invoke that feeling of 'the larger DCU'
    Exactly! Nightwing in the larger DCU doesn't mean he's involved in every big thing or the center of the universe.

The larger DCU for nightwing is giving him a bigger corner of his own OUTSIDE of the Gotham and the Batverse alone as a SOLO hero and I.p.

Grayson never looked or felt like just another bat book! It felt like dick had his own sandbox that gave his solo a different role than Batman had.

Batman was bruce fighting for and in his city, Grayson was about Dick having adventures around the crazy world that is the dcu. It didn't stop him from being in the Batverse but it does allow him his own corner that's not Gotham or its clone down the street.

Right now Nightwing is no different than any other typical Gotham batbook or hero. Than fans cry about why WB and the powers that be don't give a crap about him as a solo character.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 07-11-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

What did Grayson ever do in the larger DCU? He visited starfire on vacation, a version of Superman who is long dead,
    I don’t remember him doing anything in the greater dcu. Is SPYRAL even being used by anyone at the moment?

I’ve said it before DC doesn’t make use of a Shield type organization the way Marvel does
    He can’t be the black widow/ winter soldier with quips without that.

I don’t even know what going on in the larger DC now
    Who would want after Hero in crisis anyways

Greater DCU might not be the right term exactly, but the point is about expanding his mythos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Greater DCU might not be the right term exactly, but the point is about expanding his mythos.
    So the branch to fall off the tree and bloom and new one?

This makes me curious. What did Azrael do during his solo book?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    So the branch to fall off the tree and bloom and new one?
    More or less. Along with having him do stuff that seems greater and bigger scale.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    It doesn't matter that Spyral was something that Morrison touched on It still felt new and refreshing and a world away from Gotham and the usually Bat/nightwing typical stories
    I don't dispute the "new and refershing part" (even if it wasn't my cup of tea).
    But it was imo neither really larger DCU nor really outside of the Bat franchise.

And being part of the Batfrachise usually doesn't prevent a character from having world wide adventures. Jason and Damian have pretty frequently adventures somewhere else in their books. Same goes for the pre flashpoint Birds of Prey.

Is SPYRAL even being used by anyone at the moment?
    I think it was destroyed by Leviathan, like all other spy organisations.

What did Grayson ever do in the larger DCU? He visited starfire on vacation, a version of Superman who is long dead,
    I don’t remember him doing anything in the greater dcu. Is SPYRAL even being used by anyone at the moment?

I’ve said it before DC doesn’t make use of a Shield type organization the way Marvel does

What Grayson did in the greater DCU was give Dick his own corner of it, a corner of his own.

I'm not asking for Grayson to return exactly, what I'm hoping for is for Nightwing to take the things that worked for with Grayson and bring them into Nightwing for a better more unique Nightwing that isn't just happy Batman.

The nest step for nightwing character is to build his own mythos and not just be a small and redundant part of Batman's.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    What Grayson did in the greater DCU was give Dick his own corner of it, a corner of his own.

I'm not asking for Grayson to return exactly, what I'm hoping for is for Nightwing to take the things that worked for with Grayson and bring them into Nightwing for a better more unique Nightwing that isn't just happy Batman.

The nest step for nightwing character is to build his own mythos and not just be a small and redundant part of Batman's.
    How does that work without Spyral?
    I need a pitch cuz I am not visualizing

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't dispute the "new and refershing part" (even if it wasn't my cup of tea).
    But it was imo neither really larger DCU nor really outside of the Bat franchise.
    It wasn't outside of the bat franchise indeed.
    Bruce appeared regularly before he lost his memories and even after he stop being Batman the Grayson book still got dragged into a Bat crossover.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Technically Blüdheaven is also a corner of is own, where he has (or had) his own support cast and villains, and where Batman rarely shows up (iirc he was only there once).

Problem is that each new writer who comes in ignores (or destroys) most of what the previous one did, which makes it hard to really build his mythos around that, but that might also happend with Grayson.
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-12-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Now that I think about it, Helena being the female lead makes it even more of a Bat-book since she's ostensibly a Bat-Family character.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Because SHIELD has Nick Fury and Black Widow. None of DC’s spy organizations have characters like that, characters the general audience know about and want to read. Dick could have been that, they could’ve moved him to ARGUS or whatever and kept him in that role. They just chose not to.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/