Page 105 of 270 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 4044

So they made Dick black in Earth One? I guess they got rid of him being Romani?

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    So they made Dick black in Earth One? I guess they got rid of him being Romani?
    Maybe he's half black half Romani? I believe he's Robin but these pictures are literally all we see of him so that's to be confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    Maybe he's half black half Romani? I believe he's Robin but these pictures are literally all we see of him so that's to be confirmed.
    Dunno, you figure if they were going for more diversity they would have leaned into the Romani thing more since it has a history, but it seems that with the Joker thing Dick kind of got combined with Duke a little possibly.

They could've made John black and kept Mary Romani. Still same result of being Romani.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    What the ****.

Isn't it just a Marlon Wayans Robin reference? I don't think they thought too deeply about it.

Poor Duke when the main Robins keep getting race-bent black .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't it just a Marlon Wayans Robin reference? I don't think they thought too deeply about it.

Poor Duke when the main Robins keep getting race-bent black .
    Should've just used Duke. Oh well, I haven't been reading this so whatever.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Dunno, you figure if they were going for more diversity they would have leaned into the Romani thing more since it has a history, but it seems that with the Joker thing Dick kind of got combined with Duke a little possibly.
    Dick being black is visually distinct, him being romani is not. Lets not pretend that more thought was put behind this decision by Geoff "I'm not racist" Johns.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yep. My first thought too.

I don't think anyone but hardcore Dick fans really pay any mind to the Romani aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Dick being black is visually distinct, him being romani is not. Lets not pretend that more thought was put behind this decision by Geoff "I'm not racist" Johns.
    Yeah, that is my feelings on it. I don't think Johns put any thought into it other than to try and get some diversity points.

I guess I just find the Romani thing a bit strange at times. I mean we have Raptor who is 100% Romani and he has dark skin, right? So it stands out on purpose, but then what % Romani is Dick? They had to change it to his mom being Romani in the New 52 because of his dad being related to the whole Court of Owls now, but what % is Dick's mom? If she is 100% then Dick would be 50% Romani. Meaning that Dick is as "Asian" as a Damian.

Then in the last few years there has been this BIG push to show Damian as being more Asian/Middle Eastern, right? They even had Damian as being one of the faces of DC's Asian Appreciation Month I think. Even though Damian was created to look like a mini clone of Bruce at first, but now some of his fans get upset if he isn't drawn more diverse looking, but I guess if Dick is 50% Romani and 50% English/European then he is as diverse as Damian or even a Cassandra Cain, right? It is all inconsistent I guess. There also was that movie poll a few years ago from the director or someone where Dick being Romani was one of the most important things fans wanted, which felt weird.
    Last edited by Badou; 06-09-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Twitter/Tumblr are obsessed with it, but I promise the general audience doesn’t know or care about that at all. It’s just one of those little trivia bits that doesn’t affect Dick’s day to day life at all to be honest.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Twitter/Tumblr are obsessed with it, but I promise the general audience doesn’t know or care about that at all. It’s just one of those little trivia bits that doesn’t affect Dick’s day to day life at all to be honest.
    Like there wasn't much fan fair about Brenton Thwaites not being Romani compared whether he could look or act the part.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think anyone but hardcore Dick fans really pay any mind to the Romani aspect.
    It did come from a writer who thought it would make him more exotic, so I ignore it.