Page 74 of 270 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 4044
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The guy in the pizzeria was definitely not Didio, that was George Perez. Marv Wolfman also appears later in a shot behind Babs.
    Although there is a "Dan - You Are Fired!" post it note!

Also, I know they're keeping the books seperate and rightly so, but funding the Teen Titans Academy with some of Alfred's money would be quite a neat connection. Especially if its acting as the "safety net" for young heroes that Dick is also trying to set up in Bludhaven.

Incredible Member

Are Dick and Babs a couple here or just friends? I can't really tell and I haven't read these books before.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Are Dick and Babs a couple here or just friends? I can't really tell and I haven't read these books before.
    Currently just friends.
    They are kinda like Ross and Rachel in that department.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The foundation for run is being set. Introducing the world (Bludhaven), its characters, and the leads motivations going forward.

I don't think this run is going to be like Grayson with Dick having bombastic, save the world, adventures each issue. But more grounded with personal and introspective exploration, where moments like Dick saving a dog or choosing to invest more in his home are made to seem as important as him saving the world.
    The problem for me with this Issue is that it really doesn't feel all that introspective. The first pages, sure, but especially the ending where Dick comes to his conclusion? No.

I know what they were going for, but it just didn't have an impact on me. Instead of showing Dick interact with the children in a meaningful way, Dick just comes to the conclusion to use his money for the city. That's not a particularly astonishing solution.

Extraordinary Member

The foundation for run is being set. Introducing the world (Bludhaven), its characters, and the leads motivations going forward.

I don't think this run is going to be like Grayson with Dick having bombastic, save the world, adventures each issue. But more grounded with personal and introspective exploration, where moments like Dick saving a dog or choosing to invest more in his home are made to seem as important as him saving the world.
    Bruce has never actually succeeded in getting Gotham to be what he wanted. It be cool
    If Nightwing could make Bludhaven into a better place

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'd be ok with Dick talking about Bruce and money if at the same time we didn't have Tynion doing his "Batman is too rich" thing. So you know, you might talk about character motivations, but I think at this point it is clear that this is bigger "meta story" that Tynion, Taylor (maybe) and some editors want to tackle. And I don't care about it.
    Hmmm, interesting. I think you might be right.

Whatever Taylor has Dick planning to do, I hope it's intellectually sound with long-term sustainability built-in (which to me means Bludhaven has to end up actually producing something of value to the world and in the process create jobs for its people).

Loved the art.

Incredible Member

I never understood Dick’s reasoning for not accepting any funding from Bruce. Dick embraced the mission enough to devote his life to it; having sufficient resources would only hel the mission succeed. The reverse should now be true for the Dynamic Duo.

But Grayson was introspective and it didn't need two issues to introduce Nightwing and Batgirl, two characters everybody knows. Of course it never had the emotion of choosing investments or saving a dog (the movie write it self)

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Currently just friends.
    They are kinda like Ross and Rachel in that department.
    They are almost as fun as those two too.

I never understood Dick’s reasoning for not accepting any funding from Bruce. Dick embraced the mission enough to devote his life to it; having sufficient resources would only hel the mission succeed. The reverse should now be true for the Dynamic Duo.
    But he did. Didn't he? Pretty sure the money that went up in flames in Higgins run was Bruce's.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 04-20-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    The problem for me with this Issue is that it really doesn't feel all that introspective. The first pages, sure, but especially the ending where Dick comes to his conclusion? No.

I know what they were going for, but it just didn't have an impact on me. Instead of showing Dick interact with the children in a meaningful way, Dick just comes to the conclusion to use his money for the city. That's not a particularly astonishing solution.
    While I see what you’re saying, I think it’s safe to say that Dick’s idea is very much just that. I imagine that, as time goes on, we’ll witness that idea become something more concrete as we/he learns what kind of safety net the city truly needs. So I think we’ll get those meaningful interactions relatively soon as the city itself gets further fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    But Grayson was introspective and it didn't need two issues to introduce Nightwing and Batgirl, two characters everybody knows. Of course it never had the emotion of choosing investments or saving a dog (the movie write it self)
    That's very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    While I see what you’re saying, I think it’s safe to say that Dick’s idea is very much just that. I imagine that, as time goes on, we’ll witness that idea become something more concrete as we/he learns what kind of safety net the city truly needs. So I think we’ll get those meaningful interactions relatively soon as the city itself gets further fleshed out.
    Sure, it'll definitely still get fleshed out but, idk, the Issue's central theme is Dick figuring out what he wants to do with the money. Showing us how Dick will use the money is what it's there for. But Dick comes to a conclusion that should be obvious.

The narrative goes out of its way to tell us Dick knows how bad Blühaven is. It's Babs who has seemingly not understood yet. But then Dick is so shocked by homeless children asking if he is heartless, that he comes to the conclusion that he needs to use the money to save the city? A city he already wants to save? I mean, yeah, what else would Dick be doing with the money?

And the emotions, well. My problem is that we had a very similar story in December that had the exact emotional beats I'm missing here. #77 was pretty much #79 on a smaller scale just with (already not a billionaire) Bruce paying for a relocation of the homeless.

Oh my God, this series has been so good so far. The art. The writing. The Dick and Babs interactions. This is just....so perfect. I know we're only two issues in but it feels SO good saying that one of my favorite DC books is a Nightwing one.

But Grayson was introspective and it didn't need two issues to introduce Nightwing and Batgirl, two characters everybody knows. Of course it never had the emotion of choosing investments or saving a dog (the movie write it self).
    Grayson didn’t even have inner monologue. It was more an overt show case of Dick at his best, throwing him and readers in the middle of these bombastic spy adventures. This is a slower approach, introducing the world of Bludhaven and its residents, exploring character motivations and values, and trying to make small personal moments seem big. One of the problems with the return of Bludhaven is we never really saw Dick personally invest in the city. Here was just there because he was there before. A Gotham like city for Nightwing to patrol. Never having the character investing more of himself beyond punching it’s bad guys.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-20-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Grayson didn’t even have inner monologue. It was more an overt show case of Dick at his best, throwing him and readers in the middle of these bombastic spy adventures. This is a slower approach, introducing the world of Bludhaven and its residents, exploring characters motivations and values, and trying to make small personal moments seem big.
    That's why Grayson was so impressive. Didn't need exposition to tell the inner live of the characters. So, you think at this point, we need introduction to Dick and Barbara's motivations and values?...or Bludhaven for that matther? we know them, we have know them for years, they are not changing in this book. Small personal moments are small because they are not revealing anything new about the characters.

They made a big deal of Nightwing having his own symbol in the cover, but Nightwing has been more about Bruce and like Batman than in all previous runs. I agree though, it's so very slow. A slower, lamer Batman.

Extraordinary Member

That's why Grayson was so impressive. Didn't need exposition to tell the inner live of the characters. So, you think at this point, we need introduction to Dick and Barbara's motivations and values?...or Bludhaven for that matther? we know them, we have know them for years, they are not changing in this book. Small personal moments are small because they are not revealing anything new about the characters.

They made a big deal of Nightwing having his own symbol in the cover, but Nightwing has been more about Bruce and like Batman than in all previous runs. I agree though, it's so very slow. A slower, lamer Batman.
    Because their may be some new people on this journey with us

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Because their may be some new people on this journey with us
    ....People said the same about Ric, and it moved faster.