Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This is true, though few other characters have had this bad habit intentionally weaponized against them, which I believe is the case with Dick. And even if it's just "the nature of things" and not intentional sabotage, it's incredibly short sighted, bad business, and for a company the size of DC, with the pedigree they have, that's unforgivable.

Writers want to do their own thing? They can do it in creator owned work and/or with brand new characters. If you take a gig at the Big 2, writing established characters, you should use what's on the board. DC has damaged their brand and the individual IP's by not enforcing consistency.

The story hasn't come out yet so we can't say what it is or isn't.

For myself, I'm not overly worried. Taylor has done alright by me, even if I was hoping for something "bigger" than a Dixon redux. But we can't blame the people who are concerned either. Look at the early 52; not too deep into the new era, Dick got derailed by a Bat event and had the entire supporting cast and setting that was being crafted ripped away from him. It happened with Percy. It happened several other times, if I recall correctly. And here we are, fresh into another new era and once again Dick is getting thrown into a Bat event. The pattern is obvious, and while I share your opinion that this event won't be as harmful, well, the pattern is still obvious and that in and of itself is reason for some concern.

The fact that DC now seems to recognize Dick's value is thin tonic to a fanbase that has grown accustomed to seeing the character abused, marginalized, and disrespected for Bruce's benefit. This Fear State event might not follow the same path as Death of the Family and KGBeast, but you're asking fans to forget over a decade of abuse and, after only six months, assume that this time will be different.

I agree. But again, they're still following a sadly familiar pattern and fans have every right to be worried about that.

If this is indeed a different animal, we'll know in a few issues when the crossover wraps up. Until then, expect people to remain unconvinced.
    Concern is not what I am seeing. Everyone is complaining as if it has already happened. Specifically noting that Nightwing taking part in this crossover is a plot hole or concern and discredits what is happening in the book. The only continued pattern is Dick taking part in a crossover. Which will always be a thing. Those other runs never treated Dick as a priority or gave him respect. We can already see we are in a vastly different space given the creative freedom Tom has been given, the amount of books being published with Grayson and the A-list teams being given. This is as good as it gets comic wise.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 09-02-2021 at 05:04 PM.