Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 602
  1. #211
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    How did they manage to forget her, when she's been used on CW's Batwoman?
    I mean it’s also possible that Alfred just didn’t leave Julia in his latest version of his will. The person he’s known longest outside of Bruce is Dick, and last Alfred saw Bruce didn’t need his money.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  2. #212
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,733

    Default

    We got the cover out. Generally by how they got this laid out. This might be a comic cover that shows you a bigger image


  3. #213
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    Im torn. This doesn't particularly sound like a lot of new tread, yet at the same time i complain that Nightwing has no mythology cause creators just ditch whatever the previous creators did. So on one hand its Bludhaven, Zucco, Blockbuster, but on the other they are trying to use and build upon what mythology he has like it or not. Guess its just going to come down to execution for me. Also it is coming after a time where they threw everything away and had him cry to his readers about how lame he was, yet did nothing better. And given the reception of that i get the logic of now going the other way.

    And as to Al leavening him his fortune. To be fair last time he saw him he was living on the streets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Future State Nightwing Preview is out: https://twitter.com/wes_greer/status...73435419385859
    This book doesn't even need words. Even with that ugly suit Nicola Scott just know how to make him look cool.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.

  4. #214
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's definitely not compared to what we've recently had, but still seems like same old Batman-lite crap that he's been stuck with since the 2000s.
    I'm not expecting Batman-lite from Taylor. Maybe All-New Wolverine-lite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Future State Nightwing Preview is out: https://twitter.com/wes_greer/status...73435419385859
    Looking cool .

  5. #215
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not expecting Batman-lite from Taylor. Maybe All-New Wolverine-lite.
    Yeah, I think I agree.

    But really it's foolish as hell for us to act like we know more than we do about this book. For all we know, the first few issues take place in Bludhaven and the next arc kicks off a whirlwind adventure around the globe. This title could be more like Percy's motorcycle death race issues than a Bat-worshiping, poor imitation of Dixon. Or it could be more like DCeased, or whatever the hell. Let's not act like this book can only possibly be this one thing simply because it's kicking off with some classic elements of Dick's modern history.

    And given that this is a reset and the "real" return of Nightwing (I write off the end of Jurgens' run as Ric epilogue) we probably should have expected the rebuilding to involve these things. They're modern staples.

    And what's the worst case scenario? The book *is* Bat-lite? It'll still be well written Bat-lite, and right now I'll take a good Nightwing story that's a little "basic bitch" over a brave and controversial story that sucks.

    As far as worst case scenarios go, I feel like we're in a much better position than we were six months ago when cancellation seemed a realistic "worst case."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  6. #216
    Inquisitive Dzetoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im torn. This doesn't particularly sound like a lot of new tread, yet at the same time i complain that Nightwing has no mythology cause creators just ditch whatever the previous creators did. So on one hand its Bludhaven, Zucco, Blockbuster, but on the other they are trying to use and build upon what mythology he has like it or not. Guess its just going to come down to execution for me. Also it is coming after a time where they threw everything away and had him cry to his readers about how lame he was, yet did nothing better. And given the reception of that i get the logic of now going the other way.

    And as to Al leavening him his fortune. To be fair last time he saw him he was living on the streets.
    I know what you mean. As I was discussing in private chat a while ago, the whole concept reads as "meh," but it also has the feel of a reset switch in a basement room in Burbank getting firmly thrown. One wonders if Taylor wasn't brought in with the brief that due to the cascade of problems over the last few years, Nightwing as it was is pretty much a total write-off and he needs to start from basics and build the property up slowly and methodically. Bludhaven, Batgirl, Zucco, and Blockbuster are about as basic as you can get without going back to Haly's Circus and pixie boots. Maybe the model they are looking at is Johns and Van Sciver in Green Lantern, which proved that an IP/character that had been mishandled to the point of destruction could be successfully rebuilt using very classic components. I prefer the Grayson approach myself, but what can we say? It just wasn't viable by the company's standards. At the very least, the new team deserves a chance to show what they can do. After all, when Grayson was first proposed a lot of people were despondent to the point of physical illness. Remember the uproar that followed that first poster of Dick with a gun?

    With regard to Alfred's fortune, that isn't hard to swallow. After all, the man worked extremely closely with billionaires for at least four decades. He must have picked up some useful investment tips along with the Christmas bonus of Wayne Enterprises stock. We also don't know the conditions under which it was left to Dick. Knowing Alfred, he may well have willed it to Master Grayson for a very specific purpose. Maybe he wanted Dick to take care of the rest of the family, for after all Alfred of all people was familiar with Bruce's obsessions and shortcomings. Maybe he wanted Dick to use the money to explore a different way of fighting crime than just wearing a mask and punching heads. Maybe Alfred's money, rather than Bruce's, is what supports Titans Academy. I am sure Alfred's fortune and it's use will be a major plot thread going forward, which is at least one new element of Nightwing's story.

  7. #217
    Fantastic Member BloodOps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Lets wait and see before we judge too harshly

    jeez

  8. #218
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    114

    Default

    I get that some are frustrated because this isn't the approach to Dick's solo you'd prefer, and your opinions are valid, but let's try and reserve judgment until the first issue is out. Unless you're one of the people huranging Tom Taylor on Twitter, then you can go sit in the naughty corner.

  9. #219
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Future State Nightwing Preview is out: https://twitter.com/wes_greer/status...73435419385859
    This looks really good as well! I'm loving the cover and interiors.

  10. #220
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    I'm repeating what I said before that when you relaunch you need to start at the most familiar place as possible, even if it's not a new number one, because they're losing old fans by the Ric nonsense, they need to say "we're back, Nightwing's back in a place you know". That means it's either Gotham or Bludhaven and you can't build an A list Nightwing based in Gotham because Batman's there, so Bludhaven it is.

  11. #221
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    NIGHTWING #79

    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art and cover by BRUNO REDONDO
    Card stock variant cover by by JAMAL CAMPBELL

    Dick Grayson has inherited Alfred's fortune, a puppy, and a whole lot of questions. Who is Mayor Zucco, and what is her relation to the man who murdered Dick's parents? What sinister plans does Blockbuster have for Blüdhaven? What kind of dog food is best for a three-legged puppy? To answer these questions, Dick's going to need a little help from his friends -- past and present.

    32 pages, $3.99, (cadstock variant, $4.99), available on April 20.



    BATMAN BLACK & WHITE #5
    * Jamal Campbell, acclaimed co-creator of Naomi and Green Lantern Jo Mullein from Far Sector, tells a story that spans the full history of Nightwing.


    Ugh, I'm trying to stay optimistic but man it's hard. I usually don't like prejudging but it's hard, I just don't want another mediocre run for NW.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nontheless):
    DC: Batman Beyond, Red Hood, Far Sector, The Other History of the DC Universe, Truth and Justice, Future State: Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Damn near all the X-Books, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, Venom, Daredevil
    LionForge: Noble, Astonisher
    Image: Killadelphia, Bitter Root, Excellence
    IDW: TMNT: The Last Ronin
    Other: XOGeneSYS, Clock Striker, Is'Nana The Were-Spider, Yohance, EXO Wale Williams

  12. #222
    Incredible Member Avi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default

    I don't mind that Blockbuster is back as long as they use the Rebirth interpretation. The classic one has run its course. I wasn't a fan when Jurgens brought that version back in the annual. The cover makes me think they are keeping "Vegas Blüd", so I guess that's a good sign. Alfred's fortune being used for the TT Academy would be cool, but I think it's more likely that the money will be used in NW.

    And about the cover... Dixon Motors is pretty self-explanatory as are others (McDaniel's Burgers, Injustice, Mayor). Legends are probably Wolfman and Perez. Channel 4 is Ron Burgundy. The explosion in Badhnesia Sea is from Taylor & Redondo's Suicide Squad. That Inc. there might be too, but I can't remember.
    Story museum could be a nod to "everything is canon"?

    Heartless might be a new villain?

    Any idea what "Drexel Foundation", "Heads on Ice" and "Shark Finn" might reference/mean?

  13. #223
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Heartless might be a new villain?

    Any idea what "Drexel Foundation", "Heads on Ice" and "Shark Finn" might reference/mean?
    Might as well, we already have a Nobody

    The last shark in Bludhaven was Guppy and his dad but it can be just a pun of shark fin
    Hats on Ice is likely a parody of Cats (The Musical) on Ice

  14. #224
    Mighty Member Drako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    BR
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Might as well, we already have a Nobody

    The last shark in Bludhaven was Guppy and his dad but it can be just a pun of shark fin
    Hats on Ice is likely a parody of Cats (The Musical) on Ice
    Now i want Heartless and Nobody fighting Nightwing over some kind of key.

  15. #225
    Fantastic Member L.H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I think I agree.

    But really it's foolish as hell for us to act like we know more than we do about this book. For all we know, the first few issues take place in Bludhaven and the next arc kicks off a whirlwind adventure around the globe. This title could be more like Percy's motorcycle death race issues than a Bat-worshiping, poor imitation of Dixon. Or it could be more like DCeased, or whatever the hell. Let's not act like this book can only possibly be this one thing simply because it's kicking off with some classic elements of Dick's modern history.

    And given that this is a reset and the "real" return of Nightwing (I write off the end of Jurgens' run as Ric epilogue) we probably should have expected the rebuilding to involve these things. They're modern staples.

    And what's the worst case scenario? The book *is* Bat-lite? It'll still be well written Bat-lite, and right now I'll take a good Nightwing story that's a little "basic bitch" over a brave and controversial story that sucks.

    As far as worst case scenarios go, I feel like we're in a much better position than we were six months ago when cancellation seemed a realistic "worst case."
    I totally agree.
    And I think that Dick also needs a good supporting cast, and It will be a shame to forget all the characters we had in Bludhaven. I mean: Amy, Svodoba, Guppy, Clancy, and all the others are characters that can give us that kind of supporting cast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •