Page 128 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 4044
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Hopefully he can become bigger, but if Nightwing gonna be limited to the gothamverse what would be the point? Like he's already Batman's right hand man, his No.2 so what would change. Maybe more merchandise but status and story wise what would change?

All in all I do hope Nightwing becomes a much bigger Ip.
    I will never understand how Gotham seem like a limit
    When all of its properties are more beloved then anything and everything else in dc. Bat characters are guaranteed presence where in DC you get lost. With the new big 4 stepping up I don’t see him having as large a presence in the bigger DCU, however since the new Batman is unknown to the bat-family it’s going to be vytal that Dick stands next to him at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    When all of its properties are more beloved then anything and everything else in dc. Bat characters are guaranteed presence where in DC you get lost. With the new big 4 stepping up I don’t see him having as large a presence in the bigger DCU, however since the new Batman is unknown to the bat-family it’s going to be vytal that Dick stands next to him at the top.
    I will never understand how it doesn't.

Than Nightwing as a consept is a complete failure and dick shouldn't have stopped being Robin in the first place. Going back to Nightwing might be the worst thing to ever happen to Dick's character. But whatever fans want what they want.

Amazing Member

Pretty much. If anything it's often poorly utilized.

Having said that they should've kept him as Grayson as that was an amazing evolution of his journey unfortunately Nightwing will always feel like a step down.

Nightwing is cooler to me than Grayson, but to each their own...

Grayson was just too short a run. There was so much left to explore in that spy world and it sucks that it ended so early. King and Seeley only were on for 17 issues I think? Which is less than the whole Ric Grayson arc. They had plans for it being like 50+ issues. They were also setting up the Spy Wars arc which to me was the single most exciting Dick Grayson story in concept since the New 52 started, but it got its legs cut out from under it for Rebirth. It was so disappointing to see. I'd also would have loved to see the Grayson series continue without the dumb pretending to be dead and the world knowing his identity stories hanging over him. As both were completely pointless in the end. They could have just handwaved them away like they did at the end of Grayson anyway and then started fresh.

Grayson and Morrison's Batman and Robin were the two series I felt like were way too short. I think Morrison only wrote like 16 issues for Batman and Robin before leaving. I always would have liked to see him continue on that series but as something separate from his Batman epic and more standalone that could have sold better indefinitely. Since while I really enjoyed his B&R series it does suffer from being just a piece in his Batman epic where he was trying to set up a lot of overarching Bruce stuff in it while also writing Dick and Damian, which I think is a reason why you don't see his B&R series selling much these days over a more standalone series like a Black Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nightwing is cooler to me than Grayson, but to each their own...
    Nightwing is the cooler name and costume but Grayson is the cooler consept and status. There's like a dozen Nightwing's in the Gothamverse, give him his space to both have and be something other than "Former Robin".

Young Justice Nightwing is the perfect mix of Nightwing and Grayson.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Marketing wise Batfam is beneficial
    Creativity wise it's limiting because they're forced to be in the same type of story for branding: Street level detective stuffs

There was a discussion about this in the Red Hood thread as well. Some, including me, like the street-level stuff because that's my personal taste, but others like the metahuman teamup, sci-fi and mystical adventures of RHATO because it differentiates Jason from the other Batfam members and makes his world larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Creativity wise it's limiting because they're forced to be in the same type of story for branding: Street level detective stuffs

There was a discussion about this in the Red Hood thread as well. Some, including me, like the street-level stuff because that's my personal taste, but others like the metahuman teamup, sci-fi and mystical adventures of RHATO because it differentiates Jason from the other Batfam members and makes his world larger.
    I don't get why dick's solo can't be set in the larger dcu but do the street level stuff in the bat events, bat team ups and bat team books.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Street level is not the problem through, you can take the concept and still make it bigger, Morrison did it O'Neil did it. Batwoman and the Question had mithical aspects. Even Gotham Academy had a nice blend of everything.

The problem is not the genre, the problem is the pre concept of the creatives in control.

I don't get why dick's solo can't be set in the larger dcu but do the street level stuff in the bat events, bat team ups and bat team books.
    Well, ostensibly there's no reason he can't do both, although I guess that's what the Titans books are for too.

BANNED

Can someone tell me how can I delete my account?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh they can

It's just that with character as old as Dick there are certain things he's defined by and his fanbase built by, and so they want to keep them by keeping what drew them in the first place.

(Discarding the option of him being Batman with Damian as Robin because that will require other consideration)

That is whenever Nightwing has a solo, it's always in a city, with Bludhaven being the most defining, while the larger DCU setting happens in Titans, so Bludhaven it is.

They tried to be bold with Grayson, but they went too far out the border of familiarity, also it happened during a controversial line, and after that they're scared.

Technically Seeley balance it out, but he also got the order that it has to be Bludhaven, so he quit.

You need a guy who are able to do all of them. His history including Bludhaven and also wanna try something new and also know not to venture too far out of the familiar for fans who like their comfy place.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-10-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Since while I really enjoyed his B&R series it does suffer from being just a piece in his Batman epic where he was trying to set up a lot of overarching Bruce stuff in it while also writing Dick and Damian, which I think is a reason why you don't see his B&R series selling much these days over a more standalone series like a Black Mirror.
    Yeah, I think that these days if you are buying Morrison's Batman then you are buying 3 ombinuses that collect everything. And Dick as Batman is sadly just a short blip in that years long epic.

Extraordinary Member

But was Grayson really "larger DCU"?

It was a different corner to play in, but it is not like he was involved in any major event there or went up against any big established villains. And Spyral it self is actually something that came from Morrisons run on Batman.

And the only hero outside of the "Batverse" he had any interactions with was Midnighter, who is not exactly a big character.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But was Grayson really "larger DCU"?

It was a different corner to play in, but it is not like he was involved in any major event there or went up against any big established villains. And Spyral it self is actually something that came from Morrisons run on Batman.

And the only hero outside of the "Batverse" he had any interactions with was Midnighter, who is not exactly a big character.
    And he still showed up for Bat-Events like Endgame and B&R Eternal.