Page 140 of 270 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 4044
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Yeah, didn't hate that - decompressed, but if you're going to do the Long Lost Secret Sibling Trope then you need to devote a bit of time to it. And it was nice to see John and Mary fleshed out a bit more than the usual Uncle Ben style "fond wisdom-droppers" that dead parental figures normally are in comics. Thought it was quite sweet how they both had Dick's "voice".

spoilers:
    It does change Zucco's relationship with them, and thus Dick's origin story - but not in any way that seems hugely harmful. Unlike the Waynes, the randomness of the action has never been the important bit.
    end of spoilers

Thought "Shazam" was good too - there's more of Nightwing than just in the previews, but not a lot more. So not worth picking up just for him - but I thought it was a solid start to a Shazam story, as well as improving Teen Titans Academy more generally by showing what characters not hugely focused on there get up to. It's a low bar, but this current era is the most I've enjoyed a Titans book for a long time.
    I can see that. In regards to the adjustment of Dick`s origin, I kind of like. Makes his origin a little more unique/different than the Bruce. TBH I wish Bruce had no idea who killed his parents.

I have a hunch that the issue was as decompressed as it was with flashbacks as drawn out as they were in order to given Redondo a chance to draw all of the present day panels. This and the artist change for Fear State give him the chance to catch up and get ahead.

If that's the case, then I totally get the justification. But the flashbacks could have shown more about Zucco in Blüdhaven.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I have a hunch that the issue was as decompressed as it was with flashbacks as drawn out as they were in order to given Redondo a chance to draw all of the present day panels. This and the artist change for Fear State give him the chance to catch up and get ahead.

If that's the case, then I totally get the justification. But the flashbacks could have shown more about Zucco in Blüdhaven.
    Fair enough, it wasnt a bad issue, just felt quick. I actually really liked the art in the flashback panels. Honestly almost as much as Redondo. Do we know if this artist is currently drawing anything else for DC? Also, who is the fill in for the Fear state tie in issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Fair enough, it wasnt a bad issue, just felt quick. I actually really liked the art in the flashback panels. Honestly almost as much as Redondo. Do we know if this artist is currently drawing anything else for DC? Also, who is the fill in for the Fear state tie in issues?
    I believe the Fear State artist is the one who did the Joker War tie-ins for Batgirl
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I can see that. In regards to the adjustment of Dick`s origin, I kind of like. Makes his origin a little more unique/different than the Bruce.
    I think I like it too - as an attempt to connect disparate elements of his life, it's moderately elegant. And it doesn't involve throwing anyone's character under the bus - like the Owls retcon did to Mr Haly and the circus in general.

TBH I wish Bruce had no idea who killed his parents.
    Agreed! Although I'll allow it, so long as Joe Chill remains an absolute nobody and more pathetic than impressive - whereas Zucco was, I suppose, always premeditated.

Astonishing Member

I still don't like the trope (and elsewhere, lately) but I'll give props for the execution being okay. You can do a lot with 22 pages, and while the old "obligatory "HOW?" flashback" can kill your opening arc's momentum, this was fairly efficient, characters were characterized fairly well, and Dick directly reacts to "how this changes his perception" alongside the retcon - the notion for instance of Zucco already having a grudge against the Graysons makes plenty of sense ... you know, once you've already set aside the fact that this is like the Fifth Tony Zucco Version and that you won't be "Reconciling Zuccos" any time soon. Can the execution of the rest of the story sell it? Can't say. But did this issue do the work? Yeah, it sort of did.

Enough makes sense not to go total write-off just yet. Which, considering I wrote off Ric Grayson by the first issue, marks where the bar tends to be set I guess. Redondo art and having the guest do the flashback stuff was efficient, too.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I think I like it too - as an attempt to connect disparate elements of his life, it's moderately elegant. And it doesn't involve throwing anyone's character under the bus - like the Owls retcon did to Mr Haly and the circus in general.

Agreed! Although I'll allow it, so long as Joe Chill remains an absolute nobody and more pathetic than impressive - whereas Zucco was, I suppose, always premeditated.
    Exactly! It did a good job making it reasonable that Dick would have a sister connected to Maroni family and Zucco. By making it intentional it all makes sense how this played out.

Yeah if your going to keep Joe Chill around that's how you gotta do it. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but I`d definitely prefer his parents killer to be faceless and an analogue for crime itself.

Making Zucco a scorned cuck just doesn't do it for me. I preferred Zucco having zero ties to the Grayson's prior to their murders.

I really hope it turns out that Melinda's mom was already pregnant and it's all wishful thinking John's pull out game was weak. Melinda can go the way of Zucco's other kids and seemingly be forgotten about for forever (miss ya Sonia).

What are the chances Zucco himself shows up in this storyline? Last I checked he was still alive, reformed, and has a whole new family.

Yeah, I'm more a Joe Chill (thanks to Chill of the Night) guy and prefer Zucco's motivations to kill the Graysons not have anything to do with relationships (what is this, the CW?) but I'm also not expecting to be sold on the sister in any case.

The decompression is killing the book, so little has happened and now the story is going to get derailed by Fear State. Taylor needs to start kicking things into gear, not spending time spinning wheels. The art remains the best part of the book. I really hope whatever Dick and Babs do during Fear State will actually be relevant to Bludhaven, because a three month detour when so little has happened already is not an encouraging sign.

The retcon is whatever, I still don’t care about this new sister and it doesn’t really seem to change anything.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The decompression is killing the book, so little has happened and now the story is going to get derailed by Fear State. Taylor needs to start kicking things into gear, not spending time spinning wheels. The art remains the best part of the book. I really hope whatever Dick and Babs do during Fear State will actually be relevant to Bludhaven, because a three month detour when so little has happened already is not an encouraging sign.

The retcon is whatever, I still don’t care about this new sister and it doesn’t really seem to change anything.
    Got to say, I disagree with you. This particular issue was decompressed, yes. But overall, we have had a ton of developments. Because Taylor is focusing on multiple story threads at once, we do not yet have a complete story. But as they start to weave together, we will have a more complete story. Reminds me of a TV show kind of story telling.

We have:
    - Dick Grayson inheritance storyline
    - Melinda storyline
    - Blockbuster/Maroni Storyline
    - Heartless storyline

That's a lot of world building and development for 5 issues.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Is it a bad time to bring up that in New 52 Zero Year, as a circus boy, Dick saved Sal Maroni's son, and Sal promised that he will answer if Dick asks?

I mean on top of him dating Sonia Zucco in the Post Crisis New 52 transition and saving another Zucco son in a digital-first comic?

Also, Nightwing's actions leading Zucco to return as a crime boss in Chicago after his wife and another son left him?

Can we please have all of them back just to muck things up a bit more? I may be able to have fun with all this.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-20-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Is it a bad time to bring up that in New 52 Zero Year, as a circus boy, Dick saved Sal Maroni's son, and Sal promised that he will answer if Dick asks?

I mean on top of him dating Sonia Zucco in the Post Crisis New 52 transition and saving another Zucco son in a digital-first comic?

Also, Nightwing's actions leading Zucco to return as a crime boss in Chicago after his wife and another son left him?

Can we please have all of them back just to muck things up a bit more? I may be able to have fun with all this.
    Yes, because if all those connections already existed it would mean this run has wasted 5 issues in establishing Taylor super original character and that is not really all that special after all.

And screw over one one of the few suvirving parts of Dcik's origin's story. Because everything has to be connected and nothing ever happens that isn't rooted in your parents' past.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I don't even remember that. So much about the New 52 feels like a blur .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Yes, because if all those connections already existed it would mean this run has wasted 5 issues in establishing Taylor super original character and that is not really all that special after all.

And screw over one one of the few suvirving parts of Dcik's origin's story. Because everything has to be connected and nothing ever happens that isn't rooted in your parents' past.
    Oh, I think Melinda can work, it's just Dick will have a different starting feeling for her instead of Zucco = bad. She is bad since she's using Blockbuster to get rid of the previous mayor but he doesn't know that yet, and just because he dated one and save the other doesn't mean Melinda will also be good, maybe this is the one that remains bad.

Then plot-wise, Dick can use Sal's promise as a backup surprise plan if it's needed.