• Catwoman (Selina Kyle)

1 1.89%
  • Jim Gordon

0 0%
  • Other? (please specify)

1 1.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Overrated Bat-Family Detective [Poll]

someone made (what I think was) a joke about making a most overrated detective poll in the Underrated Batfamily Detective, in bad faith admittedly, but I thought "meh, why not". figured it could be interesting. think of this as a companion poll to the Underrated Detective poll. it's pretty much the same concept as the other tread but flipped; This poll is not asking who's the best detective in the family is - but who in the family is commonly regarded as a more skilled detective than they actually are.

keep in mind, this isn't a bashing poll either. it should go without saying that just by virtue of being in and working with the Batfamily, one would have to be a pretty exceptional crimefighter and detective. Overrated doesn't mean bad or "secretly incompetent", nor should that be the basis for you casting your vote.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-28-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarity.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The only ones in the family constantly regarded for the detective abilities specifically are Tim and Bruce. Not sure if there is any other serious options beyond these two tbh.

I know with this I'm probably going get some serious disagreeing words, but I voted for Damian. Why? Because even if he's a great crime fighter (he is), and he's really skilled (he is), he's been 11 or 12 most of his time in the comics, and most of the time, his great feats show that he's a skilled, resourcefull, cunning fighter. Not a great detective, just an OK detective. Which isn't bad, but often the narrative asumes that he's also this great inquisitive mind (he's paranoid and tends to always think the worst of every situation he's in, which is not the same, imho. He can also be very observant and pensive, which is a good starting place). Looking at his actions, I don't think it's an accurate assesment to tell that he's also an oustanding detective. He's good, he's Robin afterall. All of them are skilled enough detectives, they have to be. But not necessary that has to be their strongest point and the story doesn't need to insist in that. And it's ok: he was mostly trained as an strategist and a fighter, an assasin. Not a detective. And he's barely a teen and obviously lacks some social, emotional, etc skills and understanding about common people or people in general (because he's young and grew up in a closed society). But he's great, also has a lot of potential.

Tim or Bruce are probably going to win this poll, but I can point in them actual detective acchievements in their long story inside the pages. So, I think that's fair, to tell that they're great detectives. Same goes for Dick or Barbara, for example, two other characters that usually play in their stories that they are outstanding detectives. They are: they worked cases based on evidence, logic and understanding of the victims and the perps. They trained for it especifically, and they have the experience and understanding of adults to back that training and give them context.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong: I haven't read everything in the batfam corner of the DCU, so I can be wrong. But this is how I see the picture from here.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-28-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I know with this I'm probably going get some serious disagreeing words, but I voted for Damian. Why? Because even if he's a great crime fighter (he is), and he's really skilled (he is), he's been 11 or 12 most of his time in the comics, and most of the time, his great feats show that he's a skilled, resourcefull, cunning fighter. Not a great detective, just an OK detective. Which isn't bad, but often the narrative asumes that he's also this great inquisitive mind (he's paranoid and tends to always think the worst of every situation he's in, which is not the same, imho. He can also be very observant and pensive, which is a good starting place). Looking at his actions, I don't think it's an accurate assesment to tell that he's also an oustanding detective. He's good, he's Robin afterall. All of them are skilled enough detectives, they have to be. But not necessary that has to be their strongest point and the story doesn't need to insist in that. And it's ok: he was mostly trained as an strategist and a fighter, an assasin. Not a detective. And he's barely a teen and obviously lacks some social, emotional, etc skills and understanding about common people or people in general (because he's young and grew up in a closed society). But he's great, also has a lot of potential.

Tim or Bruce are probably going to win this poll, but I can point in them actual detective acchievements in their long story inside the pages. So, I think that's fair, to tell that they're great detectives. Same goes for Dick or Barbara, for example, two other characters that usually play in their stories that they are outstanding detectives. They are: they worked cases based on evidence, logic and understanding of the victims and the perps. They trained for it especifically, and they have the experience and understanding of adults to back that training and give them context.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong: I haven't read everything in the batfam corner of the DCU, so I can be wrong. But this is how I see the picture from here.
    So many words to justify your vote.
    Just vote mate.

If you really believe all these words then i can confidently say that you don't have good knowledge of these characters.

Tim has a lot of stories where he is a detective!? Are you high?

Telling us a character is a great detective and showing us aren't the same. the only Bats that have the stories to support the label great detective are Bruce and Dick.
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-28-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The only ones in the family constantly regarded for the detective abilities specifically are Tim and Bruce. Not sure if there is any other serious options beyond these two tbh.
    Exactly. Those two are the only ones that get the tag detective so i went for Tim since Bruce has the stories while Tim we are told he is.

The rest of the bats aren't really called seen as detectives or celebrated as detectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Just vote mate.

If you really believe all these words then i can confidently say that you don't have good knowledge of these characters.

Telling us a character is a great detective and showing us aren't the same. the only Bats that have the stories to support the label great detective are Bruce and Dick.
    I'm not justifying my vote. I'm reasoning my vote, which is a thing I usually do when I vote. I could vote and not say a thing, same as many do, and let it there. But I like to reasoning why I do vote what I vote. This is going to be a very polemical poll, and my vote is going to be really polemical (or at least, in the minority). I think it's logical to explain my reasoning, given both facts.

The Red Robin run was a run around a mystery he tried to uncover by investigating. And his Robin run is full of cases where he's investigating stuff. So no, I'm not high. Maybe you haven't read said runs. Edit: Or you don't remember then. Sure, they are also teen drama, and adventure. But there's investigations and observations and thoughtful moments and conclusions. I'm a sucker for detective stories, so I appreciate when I find one that shows some detectiving.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-28-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Just vote mate.

Incredibly rude and ignorant response.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Incredibly rude and ignorant response.
    Agreed 100%.

Astonishing Member

This poll should allow people to vote for multiple chatacters.

The line about being high is rude and I apologise for that but the parts questioning the posters knowledge and stating that the Bruce and Dick are the only two with enough ACTUAL stories where we see them being detectives to the point where it justifies them being labelled outstanding amongst a family of detective/detectives in the DCu is facts.

Those two are the only two with the list of achievements to show them as outstanding.

Telling readers a character is a detective without actually showing or giving us a valid list of achievements in the area doesn't show that character as a detective.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This poll should allow people to vote for multiple characters.
    Well, the poll is titled "Poll: Most Overrated" (but does leave out the word "Detective"), and "MOST" would often refer to just one in a case like this.

Didn't vote. Though I'd say the top two choices are Tim and Bruce. However, on the flip they could both be seen as underrated as well. It really depends how you look at it. In book feats and public perception.

In regards to Bruce the general consensus is he is the greatest detective in the Bat Fam. In addition, he has the feats to back it up. Batman getting the title of overrated as the greatest detective in my opinion only comes into play when you start comparing him to other detectives from other series. In short, given the context of the question, no, I don't feel Bruce is overrated.

When it comes to Tim it's a bit different. Plenty of characters claim he is a top tier detective, but admittedly lacks the stories to back this up. At least not for the last 10+ years since he's only ever in team books of five characters or more. Not much room to explore his detective capabilities. In that line, yes, Tim can be seen as overrated. As for the second part, public perception, I'd actually say Tim is underrated. On this forum for example, I've seen many people constantly claim Tim has no actual detective feats or stories which isn't true. Even going as far to say Tim is a below average detective, which just isn't true. So like with Bruce, I don't see either as overrated.

The only thing in the Bat Fam is underrated detectives; Dick, Jason, Steph , Duke, and even Cass(in a different kind of way), ranking atop that list.

The line about being high is rude and I apologise for that but the parts questioning the posters knowledge and stating that the Bruce and Dick are the only two with enough ACTUAL stories where we see them being detectives to the point where it justifies them being labelled outstanding amongst a family of detective/detectives in the DCu is facts.

Those two are the only two with the list of achievements to show them as outstanding.

Telling readers a character is a detective without actually showing or giving us a valid list of achievements in the area doesn't show that character as a detective.
    Tim has plenty of feats from his Robin solo back in the day, including Red Robin as well. Your statement is only valid for New-52 Tim-Present

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    . . . In regards to Bruce the general consensus is he is the greatest detective in the Bat Fam. In addition, he has the feats to back it up. Batman getting the title of overrated as the greatest detective in my opinion only comes into play when you start comparing him to other detectives from other series. In short, given the context of the question, no, I don't feel Bruce is overrated...
    Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Tim has plenty of feats from his Robin solo back in the day, including Red Robin as well. Your statement is only valid for New-52 Tim-Present
    Bruce is a bit like Tim here.

In the past, Bruce has been portrayed as an excellent detective. However, while I'm not sure when it started (maybe post-Morrison's run?), Bruce has often been written as rather clueless "detective" in many stories over the past ten years or so (and possibly even longer) who is often two-or-five steps behind when it comes to solving things

Exactly. Those two are the only ones that get the tag detective so i went for Tim since Bruce has the stories while Tim we are told he is.

The rest of the bats aren't really called seen as detectives or celebrated as detectives.
    Did you read his Robin or Red Robin books? He's a great detective. If you were to only go by New 52, I could see, but Tim has a great history of detective stories.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-