Page 145 of 270 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 4044

I'd still like to see a more accurate Morrison Batman & Robin animation, but I too think Bad Blood was a pretty good movie for Dick. Better than the others at least.

I hope they change the Injustice death a little. Just a tweak to make it less insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Teen Titans Academy was quite good for Dick this week, I thought - I know some people won't like that the Bat Pack are specifically Batman fanboys with little time for Nightwing, but the issue put some good work emphasising that they were wrong.

Also, in this interview for his new Jon Kent series, Tom Taylor is a little more direct than in some of his previous hints:

"I think there’s something so very Superman about Nightwing that I love. There’s a reason they’re both kind of the heart of the DC Universe. And not to spoil anything, but there is a good chance that Nightwing and Jon will share some pages in the future."

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/07/27/to...-for-superman/

So whether that's a formal crossover between the two titles, or a guest spot from one character in the other's book, that should at least cheer up the people who want Dick to meet more non Bat-Family characters under Taylor! And also, very hard to imagine a conversation between Dick and Jon that doesn't touch on Dick's friendship with Clark/the Kryptonian origin of the "Nightwing" name - which is nice.
    Yeah, from what I've heard and seen TTA was better to Nightwing than in the last Issues. Sheridan's reference to Taylor's and Redondo's run worked this time. But imo it's still a bit obvious that Sheridan just has to hammer home that Dick is bad with relationships. It's Sheridan's humor, I guess. But it doesn't make me look forward to the possible exploration of Dick's past as Red X under Sheridan's pen.

Jon and Dick finally meeting sounds good. Especially if they talk about Clark and the Nightwing origin with a bit conversation about Damian thrown into the mix.

Incredible Member

For anyone who missed it - Dick was in the last issue of the other history of the DC universe and was portrayed several times as an insacure man-child womanizer (in those exact words), who "macked women".

Ridley didn't stop smearing him in this issue.

Here are just two examples -

ohdcu - 1.jpgohdcu - 2.jpg

Note that this is just Anissa's perception and may not entirely be accurate. We've seen characters do cynical take aways on Superman only to be proven wrong later on. Ridley is not going to do that for every characters but the gist of it is there.

It also reads to me as an criticism of that iteration of Outsiders especially the parts where Anissa talks about the team's dynamics, functions and how they worked together. It really was an era where creators where trying to be edgy and mature in a juvenile way by including lots of sex, violence, fanservice and dysfunction all of the sake of it so Ridley is trying to work with what he got by trying to add more depth and internal logic behind the characters actions. Even Anissa's criticisms of Roy and Dick are well within the parameters of how they were characterized during that period. Even the fandom has this perception of Dick being this ladies man who sleeps with whomever and you are going to find people who think that makes him the coolest guy and people who think that takes away from him character and some who think it contradicts his NTT characterization of being a serious monogamist.

Dick can't catch a break, lol. But I agree with John Venus, playing with limited povs, misconceptions and the then popular characterization is Ridley's thing in Other History.

Yang's Dick Grayson in Batman/Superman continues to be a delight. I really enjoy what Yang is doing with Supes and the Dynamic Duo. More of that, please.

Extraordinary Member

"The Other History" feels to me often more like criticism on poor creative decisions in old comics, than like really doing something interesting with the characters ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    "The Other History" feels to me often more like criticism on poor creative decisions in old comics, than like really doing something interesting with the characters ...
    Yeah and thats why ended up dropping it. In such story blame is shifted entirely on the characters and makes them look bad with silver lining being "well, thats just what that character thinks". I'd simply prefer if stupid/bad decisions were ignored, retconed away or given additional context that would make them look better.

So I got the I am not Starfire book because I'm weak

I can't really recommend it, even if you like the YA line. The quality is way below, say Harley Quinn Breaking glass and more like Gotham High.

If you're thinking of buying it for Dick/Kory content I wouldn't bother.

spoilers:
    It is heavily implied that Dick is Mandys father but we're never given any indication as to why he didn't help raise her. Which is weird because he is portrayed as still being very close to Starfire
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Yang's Dick Grayson in Batman/Superman continues to be a delight. I really enjoy what Yang is doing with Supes and the Dynamic Duo. More of that, please.

Yep! Really hope that Robin And Batman is 1) a Bruce And Dick Dynamic Duo/Glory Years book, and 2) written by Yang. Reiss carrying over would be great too.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Which is why I'm never interested in the first place... and I think I said it in that thread... we know why the heroes can't solve real world problem, so why even make a book like that? Addressing outside-story problem with an in-story explanation doesn't work unless it was also in-story problem.

I guess the point is "this is what you make these characters do", it's shaming the decision through the characters, the brand, so "unless you change it from now on, there will be a next book addressing that and your heroes and your brand will look bad" , but I think Twitter already done that in real life and DC gets money from publishing a self-shaming book.

The parts where they talk about the real world stuff like Iran or the murders in New Orleans were what? Two per pages per every issue. I was way more intrigued by getting to see these characters internal lives and thoughts that also utilized their decades long history, both the good and bad parts. In most cases, I prefer writers who acknowledge the less flattering depictions of characters and then try to make it work by adding more nuance to their interaction.

Anissa's assessment of Dick and Roy are fair given the characterization during that period. Maybe if Dick and Roy were characterized closer to how they were during Wolfman/Perez era, she would have better assessment of them. Though she does bring up a good point, why does Roy hook up with women who have deep seated trauma or mental issues (Donna Troy, Cheshire, Grace Choi)?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The parts where they talk about the real world stuff like Iran or the murders in New Orleans were what? Two per pages per every issue. I was way more intrigued by getting to see these characters internal lives and thoughts that also utilized their decades long history, both the good and bad parts. In most cases, I prefer writers who acknowledge the less flattering depictions of characters and then try to make it work by adding more nuance to their interaction.

Anissa's assessment of Dick and Roy are fair given the characterization during that period. Maybe if Dick and Roy were characterized closer to how they were during Wolfman/Perez era, she would have better assessment of them. Though she does bring up a good point, why does Roy hook up with women who have deep seated trauma or mental issues (Donna Troy, Cheshire, Grace Choi)?
    Well, Cheshire is one thing, but Donna's usually put together when not dealing with origin issues.

Emphasis on 'usually'.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Though she does bring up a good point, why does Roy hook up with women who have deep seated trauma or mental issues (Donna Troy, Cheshire, Grace Choi)?
    I figure Roy is attracted to women who're as messed up as he is. Aren't most people?

This isn't the thread for getting into Other History, I'll just say that I've enjoyed it. Ridley has done a fine job of getting into the characters' heads and seeing what makes them tick, then digging through their history to get their spin on things.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

We have the designs of Nightwing in Injustice. Let's hope they make his death better.

E7aw8r9XMAMEsHe.jpg

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    We have the designs of Nightwing in Injustice. Let's hope they make his death better.

E7aw8r9XMAMEsHe.jpg
    I don't know if it's Dick death scene or not (and I don't remember if Dick ever fought with Damian in Injustice except when he died), but an Injustice animated leak has Dick fought Damian in Batcave (In comic they were supposed to fight in Arkham Asylum). And Damian already gets a hold on Dick's baton, just like he did before Dick's death. So...........less spectator? is that will make it better....?
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 07-28-2021 at 07:18 PM.