Page 136 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 4044

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm entirely satisfied with that page. Fan service is *exactly* what I want after Ric (up to a point). Is it over the top and unnecessary? Yes, and I love it. After the last several years, what I want most right now out of Nightwing are some scenes where A) Nightwing is shown to be stupidly, amazingly badass and B) scenes where Dick's ties, connections, and relationships across the entire DCU are highlighted and we're shown that this guy is still one of the biggest names in the hero community, capable of bringing everyone together.
    We've spent the last how many years wishing for scenes like this. This is what I want from a Nightwing book, show his friends caring, show he's beloved. Fan service is only a bad thing if it's nonsensical, this scene makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    We've spent the last how many years wishing for scenes like this. This is what I want from a Nightwing book, show his friends caring, show he's beloved. Fan service is only a bad thing if it's nonsensical, this scene makes perfect sense.
    I think it'll become nonsensical when Dick gets into situations like this and no large amounts of heroes come in to bail him out because it would break the story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it'll become nonsensical when Dick gets into situations like this and no large amounts of heroes come in to bail him out because it would break the story.
    The justice league didnt it bail Bruce out of Gotham no mans lands
    Yes the Gothamverse is contained, it’s also why Dick Jason and anyone else can’t date flying brick heroes becuase they break the story. It’s not ridiculous anymore then then the idea of superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    The justice league didnt it bail Bruce out of Gotham no mans lands
    Yes the Gothamverse is contained, it’s also why Dick Jason and anyone else can’t date flying brick heroes becuase they break the story. It’s not ridiculous anymore then then the idea of superheroes.
    I think it's one of those things that you have to keep out the reader's mind to allow full immersion. Don't remind us that he has friends and allies who could solve any problem he has in 5 minutes. If we don't see them at least we can pretend they're busy with their own problems, having them show up like that will make us question why isn't that an option for future events. Also it isn't just dating characters with powers even human heroes will essentially tip the scale in the protagonist favor the writer has to essentially come up with a believable challenge that would be hard for both of them.

Barbara called for help. Had she not being in contact with him at the time he got jumped, no one would know. It not difficult to justify this in the story.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

How is it nonsensical? These guys weren't busy when Babs called them in to help Dick. Next time he's in trouble and they don't come running, we can safely assume they *are* busy.

You know what *is* nonsensical? The fact that the League doesn't take a weekend, sweep through Gotham, and throw every corrupt cop, politician, and villain into space jail.

Comics don't make any sense. But this scene doesn't even break the internal logic of the DCU; if we call this out then we gotta also call out everything else.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-17-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The scene makes 2 points. There are other characters that care about Dick, and Oracle can call in the cavalry.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I think it's one of those things that you have to keep out the reader's mind to allow full immersion. Don't remind us that he has friends and allies who could solve any problem he has in 5 minutes. If we don't see them at least we can pretend they're busy with their own problems, having them show up like that will make us question why isn't that an option for future events. Also it isn't just dating characters with powers even human heroes will essentially tip the scale in the protagonist favor the writer has to essentially come up with a believable challenge that would be hard for both of them.
    No. Make them show up. I was marketed by DC that this is a shared universe, so actually make them shared universe. Do show up when the character's not busy fighting their own problem, and do help, and don't make local character be stupid or prideful that they refuse help. Actually solve the problem. Be the hero that the city and the victims need.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Barbara called for help. Had she not being in contact with him at the time he got jumped, no one would know. It not difficult to justify this in the story.
    I feel like it would've been simpler and more in-character to just send Tim in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    How is it nonsensical? These guys weren't busy when Babs called them in to help Dick. Next time he's in trouble and they don't come running, we can safely assume they *are* busy.

You know what *is* nonsensical? The fact that the League doesn't take a weekend, sweep through Gotham, and throw every corrupt cop, politician, and villain into space jail.

Comics don't make any sense. But this scene doesn't even break the internal logic of the DCU; if we call this out then we gotta also call out everything else.
    If they mention that, then fine. But they probably won't .
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The scene makes 2 points. There are other characters that care about Dick, and Oracle can call in the cavalry.
    Will she ever do it again, though?

If they mention that, then fine. But they probably won't .
    Probably not, but do they *have* to? It's not a big jump in logic, yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Will she ever do it again, though?
    Possibly. Its one of her things. Its pretty much all she does in Batman.

That's my main issue with it. This fast response time is probably going to be completely forgotten about when the story needs Dick to get out of a dangerous situation on his own, so it seems like the kind of fanservice that doesn't hold up as well when you think about it too much.

I'd rather get a scene of Dick hanging around and talking with people in Titans Tower. He doesn't even get to talk to any of them here since they all fly off again, but I know that would take up page space.
    Feel the same. I get the idea behind having the heroes show up to "save" Dick, even if he should be able to get out of something like this by himself, but it isn't something that can happen in the actual story because these super power characters can defeat anyone in Bludhaven in 2 seconds. So Taylor introduces something he will immediately have to write around or ignore going forward. Situations like this are more suited to Justice League, Titans, or non street level stories. It's like when Alfred was captured in Gotham recently. Realistically Flash or Superman could have busted in and saved him before Bane or Thomas Wane could even react, but King had to come up with excuses why they didn't and ignore them.

I'd much rather see Dick have more personal moments with the other heroes. Him and Donna going out to dinner or something. Try and build back up what their relationship was like before Flashpoint. I don't think Dick has even had one real conversation between himself, Raven, Beast Boy, or Cyborg on any kind of personal level since the New 52 started. Him and Wally still haven't interacted I think since Abnett's first Titans run. In Seeley's Nightwing run you had moments where he was in his apartment talking to a Wally or Roy on the phone and stuff. Give me a lot more moments and scenes like that beyond it just being Dick and Babs in those kind of scenes.

Dick, Kori, and Vic all had some time to talk during the Justice League Death Metal tie-in's. It was nice. Not nearly enough, but nice. And I think Dick got to talk to some of the Titans towards the end of the main Death Metal series, though I didn't read that.

Anyway, I mostly agree with you. It's good to see these guys have Dick's back but it's no substitute for actual character interaction. Still an improvement over what we've been getting, but a damn small one. I like it, but I want more.

~ Black Panther.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I hope this isn't the last they show up at least. And hopefully not to bail Dick out.