Page 137 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 4044

If the reason the Titans or other heroes like Superman shouldn't be around to help in a Batbook is because they would solve all the problems in like 5 minutes, that's not a reason to stop the characters from appearing, that's a reason to create more complex problems for the protagonists. If Superman could solve all of Batman's problems for him, then those aren't very compelling problems. They exist in the same universe, there should be a reason they both exist and carry books. If you can't apply that same approach to Nightwing, then that's a problem with Nightwing as a character, an IP, or a book, and with the universe as a whole.

Anyways, there are several Super-characters around, all with super-hearing, so if you've been applying your suspension of disbelief to explain away the fact that they won't solve every character's problems within seconds because they're too busy with their own, I have trouble understanding why you wouldn't apply the same thinking to characters without super-hearing lol.

All that said, yeah this is nice fanservice. It's the kind that at least gives me a reason to want to read the issue, because now I'm hoping Taylor actually circles back around to Donna later on. We have Donna here, and we have Cass appearing in #86 because of Fear State, and both characters are sisters to Dick in their own ways. So if Taylor actually fleshes out/re-establishes his relationship to his two existing sisters well, I'll have much less of an issue with his new character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    If the reason the Titans or other heroes like Superman shouldn't be around to help in a Batbook is because they would solve all the problems in like 5 minutes, that's not a reason to stop the characters from appearing, that's a reason to create more complex problems for the protagonists. If Superman could solve all of Batman's problems for him, then those aren't very compelling problems. They exist in the same universe, there should be a reason they both exist and carry books. If you can't apply that same approach to Nightwing, then that's a problem with Nightwing as a character, an IP, or a book, and with the universe as a whole.

Anyways, there are several Super-characters around, all with super-hearing, so if you've been applying your suspension of disbelief to explain away the fact that they won't solve every character's problems within seconds because they're too busy with their own, I have trouble understanding why you wouldn't apply the same thinking to characters without super-hearing lol.

All that said, yeah this is nice fanservice. It's the kind that at least gives me a reason to want to read the issue, because now I'm hoping Taylor actually circles back around to Donna later on. We have Donna here, and we have Cass appearing in #86 because of Fear State, and both characters are sisters to Dick in their own ways. So if Taylor actually fleshes out/re-establishes his relationship to his two existing sisters well, I'll have much less of an issue with his new character.
    The fact that they've cut Superman's powerlevels multiple times because the writers were struggling to give him compelling problems should tell you this doesn't make much sense. People don't pick up Batman to see Superman, the pick it up to read Batman and problems that fit his capabilities often confined to the limits of one city. If Gotham is burning then Bruce is generally at his wits end, if Metropolis is burning then Superman takes care of it between finishing up a writing assignment and fixing robots at the fortress. Trying to cram these characters in stories they don't fit gives you weird scenes where Superman tries to fix Gotham during No Man's Land but immediately gives up because people were haggling over electricity.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member

remember when joker abducted Tim drake and his team did nothing , becasue if they did it would break the story
    You guys are acting like you have never considered this? Superpowered folks visit Gotham but never stay extended periods or arc. A good example is when superman visited Dick in bludhaven

he stopped blockbuster in two seconds

Incredible Member

What do you think about the idea that Dick was 39 years old when he met Damian?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/firs...ine-dan-didio/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post

Those ages seem legit honestly when you don’t try to cram so much lore into 5 years

I don't want Dick passing the age of 30 until he takes on a bigger role in the DCU. Crossing that line means that he never lived up to his potential.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I don't want Dick passing the age of 30 until he takes on a bigger role in the DCU. Crossing that line means that he never lived up to his potential.
    This. I'm fine with Dick being 30, 40 so long as his character is allowed to flourish. Let him lead the Justice League, show him as a pillar of the DCU.

From what I understand about 5G, I'd have been fine with it as long as Dick had evolved and grown and was shown to live up to his potential.

The idea of 5G was that we'd have books in different eras, and get to see characters are multiple points in their lives right? So a G2 book/story with Dick as a 20-something and a G3 book/story with Dick in his early 40's would've been fine, as long as Dick (and everyone else) was treated his age.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Crap, meant to put this in the same reply.

Anyway, this post here is why I'm still hopeful that Taylor's run is going to grow into something beyond a Dixon redux.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That's not the problem. The problem is he's older than Harley

Although ideally he should be the same age as Bruce when he took him in
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-19-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's not the problem. The problem is he's older than Harley
    And Babs.

Incredible Member

I still feel that the in-universe standard for success is the Justice League. Dick should get elected, join, and eventually lead it, preferably for a long time. That’s what Bruce raised him to do…use all his skills, his compassion, his interpersonal gifts , and make the world a better place.

So the interesting thing about the 5G timeline is it’s never stated that Dick ever stops being Batman. He becomes Batman along with Damian becoming Robin, and Donna becomes Wonder Woman for a short while before Diana takes the mantle back but that’s it. The implication here is that Dick was still Batman even when the Titans reform later in the timeline. Plus, there’s a possibility that the Batman on the JL (that Hal and Arthur are said to be joining) in what would’ve been the equivalent to the New 52 JL Origin story was Dick. Now, would Didio let all that happen? Probably not, but maybe he would have just because his biggest issue was that the legacy characters would age older characters, except this is a timeline that actually intends for them to age so who really knows? It’s an interesting idea at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The fact that they've cut Superman's powerlevels multiple times because the writers were struggling to give him compelling problems should tell you this doesn't make much sense. People don't pick up Batman to see Superman, the pick it up to read Batman and problems that fit his capabilities often confined to the limits of one city. If Gotham is burning then Bruce is generally at his wits end, if Metropolis is burning then Superman takes care of it between finishing up a writing assignment and fixing robots at the fortress. Trying to cram these characters in stories they don't fit gives you weird scenes where Superman tries to fix Gotham during No Man's Land but immediately gives up because people were haggling over electricity.
    Using examples of poor writing isn’t a good example lol. A shared universe is a shared universe, if a writer can’t give a believable reason why one of Bruce’s best friends can’t help when he really needs it, that’s on them. If the problem is so simple that someone else can solve it, that’s another writing issue. Plan and simple. If Superman can break your Batman story, then it’s either not a good Batman story, or not meant to be a mainline Batman story. It should be set outside of continuity of it doesn’t work in continuity. Like this and other posts just make it sound like the plain existence of Superman invalidates the need for Batman or Nightwing, which is exactly the issue. If that’s actually the case, then Batman and Nightwing and others need reasons to exist and set themselves apart from Superman or whoever else. That’s what each and every story needs to set out to do, prove to me your story is worth being told.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 07-18-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    This. I'm fine with Dick being 30, 40 so long as his character is allowed to flourish. Let him lead the Justice League, show him as a pillar of the DCU.
    He cant't really lead the Justice League unless you kick the Trinity (and most of the other Founders) out, and at this points the Justice League stops being a big deal imo.

I mean who cares about what character led the Justice League Detroit or Justice League International?