Page 181 of 270 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 4044
    Extraordinary Member

778F4AC5-B3B7-455D-9268-C3AB6B6E3EFD.jpg

I am so thirsty for this

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Then we would be getting more complaints about how this run is a Bludhaven redux.

Like I said no winning.

To be honest, Tim, Superman and the Titans have not been a huge part of the run and have not derailed the story. The only character that has been a true side character is Barbara and tbh it makes sense. She adds to the book.
    I mean if sales are indeed strong, then some of our complaints are probably minority opinions for now until we see how long this lasts.

So it's not really "no winning" unless we put a lot of value on the opinions of this forum, which is never an accurate indicator.

Then we would be getting more complaints about how this run is a Bludhaven redux.

Like I said no winning.

To be honest, Tim, Superman and the Titans have not been a huge part of the run and have not derailed the story. The only character that has been a true side character is Barbara and tbh it makes sense. She adds to the book.
    There's always going to be complaints, and thats actually kind of good. Its means there is a healthy audience. When there are no complaints it usually just means ether no on cares or they whittled down the audience. The bigger the audience the less odds there are that they are going to make everyone perfectly happy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-03-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Couldn't he avoid that by using previous Bludhaven characters from the Dixon, Grayson or Seeley days instead of making new ones? At the very least it might cut the legs out from the "nobody will use these characters again" argument because he'd be using previous ones that have at least some history and it gives them more legs.

Of course it is early, and he very well may end up doing just that.
    I fully expect him to bring back at least a couple familiar faces (besides Blockbuster). But the slow burn of the book means it could take ages before we see them. I figure if we're gonna see old characters it's most likely gonna happen when Taylor sets up the NPO. That seems like the arc best suited to developing and expanding the city and its cast.

I really hope Taylor does use old characters, Dick's got some quality rogues and supporting cast sprinkled throughout his various eras and I think it'd do a world of good to mix them together and try to weave a slightly more unified Nightwing mythology from the parts. Not a full-on "everything counts" approach, but I wouldn't mind some cherry picking.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really hope Taylor does use old characters, Dick's got some quality rogues and supporting cast sprinkled throughout his various eras and I think it'd do a world of good to mix them together and try to weave a slightly more unified Nightwing mythology from the parts. Not a full-on "everything counts" approach, but I wouldn't mind some cherry picking.
    Certainly, Redondo would draw the hell out of Flamingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing Christopher Sean as Dick.

Kaz was far from my favorite Star Wars protagonist but he did a good job voicing him.

So anyone read latest King Shark issue? It has Pigeon in it and she looks a bit different than how I remember her in Nightwing. Am I remembering wrong? Or did she appear somewhere after Nightwing and before this?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So anyone read latest King Shark issue? It has Pigeon in it and she looks a bit different than how I remember her in Nightwing. Am I remembering wrong? Or did she appear somewhere after Nightwing and before this?
    Definitely different. She was a regular woman with wings, kinda like the Thanagarians. Maybe Waller did something to her, she looked like a monster in this book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Bludhaven is being developed.
    Just wanted to quickly say that this is definitely not the case. Besides Dick's apartment, there's literally no recognizable locations in the city, not new or returning. Compare that to Seeley or Humphries run, and it's a major difference. If you consider Rebirth stories as part of the big picture, Taylor's just done no developing of the city. If you view the run on its own merits, Bludhaven is significantly less developed than it was during Humphries run, or hell, less developed than it was during Percy's run.

Taylor's developed Dick's wealth, re-established Batfamily dynamics and the Superman connection (...again, we just had this in Rebirth lol), and Melinda Zucco's storyline (and thereby playing with the backstory of the Flying Graysons). None of that is an issue (well, the sister plot twist is boring, but it's still early to say it's a bad choice), but Bludhaven is definitely not being developed. It's had some lip service about differences from Gotham to justify it existing as its own city, but nothing really setting it apart. The art team hard carries the book right now, because without them there really is nothing to Bludhaven outside of it being a generic city. Even then, nothing the art team is doing is doing anything with the city to develop its visual identity either, just develop the identity of the book itself. Which to me just says the book doesn't need Bludhaven whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I fully expect him to bring back at least a couple familiar faces (besides Blockbuster). But the slow burn of the book means it could take ages before we see them. I figure if we're gonna see old characters it's most likely gonna happen when Taylor sets up the NPO. That seems like the arc best suited to developing and expanding the city and its cast.

If we're doing the whole "Dick lives in an apartment block that he owns," bit, I'd really like to see the return of Clancy. She could even fill the night nurse role as well, as I'm pretty sure that late in the run she went off to med school or something? anywho, It'd be nice to see.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    If we're doing the whole "Dick lives in an apartment block that he owns," bit, I'd really like to see the return of Clancy. She could even fill the night nurse role as well, as I'm pretty sure that late in the run she went off to med school or something? anywho, It'd be nice to see.
    She a full on doctor and why returns to the neighborhood she just barely escaped being nuked, I’m glad the writer got her out alive
    Nightwing losses to many supporting characters

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Taylor's developed Dick's wealth, re-established Batfamily dynamics and the Superman connection (...again, we just had this in Rebirth lol), and Melinda Zucco's storyline (and thereby playing with the backstory of the Flying Graysons). None of that is an issue (well, the sister plot twist is boring, but it's still early to say it's a bad choice), but Bludhaven is definitely not being developed. It's had some lip service about differences from Gotham to justify it existing as its own city, but nothing really setting it apart. The art team hard carries the book right now, because without them there really is nothing to Bludhaven outside of it being a generic city. Even then, nothing the art team is doing is doing anything with the city to develop its visual identity either, just develop the identity of the book itself. Which to me just says the book doesn't need Bludhaven whatsoever.
    Yeah, it's not that Bludhaven is exactly a detrimental component to the Nightwing books success, but since its inception back in the 90s it hasn't had a consistent identity to not make it come across as generic. The whole "it's totally worse than Gotham" thing always came across as a bit desperate, because nobody will ever really believe that or care.

It's less a vital component and more "this book has to be set somewhere, might as well be here"

Astonishing Member

Thinking some more about the Superman connection, it feels like for a long time that's been maintained in comics - if at all - through little cameos here and there. The last issue of Nightwing, the early (first?) issue of Tomasi's run - or bits in Titans or Outsiders where Superman will fly in, Dick will assert the team's independence and Superman flies out again.

How many actual full team-up issues have there been between Clark and Dick?

IIRC, one issue of Nightwing Year One was one. Then an issue of Action Comics (771) and Dixon's Nightwing (30) - then more recently Grayson Annual 2 and the issue of Rebirth Nightwing where Clark tells Dick to move to Bludhaven.

Am I missing any? Are there enough examples for a Nightwing And Superman collection - because I'd certainly buy one.

That it really, it not Bludhaven itself that’s detrimental. Not directly. It’s the back round purpose of it and creative contentment it allows for. A stable setting like Bludhaven is suppose to make the job easier. So they can quickly slot in and out creators with groundwork continually present. But it’s not always suppose to be easy, and it incentivizes a traditional kind superhero story formula that readers have seen over and over. What more that kind of formula is easily abused by lazy creators to just effortlessly spin the wheels in that conditioned formula like we saw with Ric. And that’s the problem. Not Bludhaven itself, but the formula it incentivizes and enables. That’s the trap of it creators need to avoid.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-04-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Just wanted to quickly say that this is definitely not the case. Besides Dick's apartment, there's literally no recognizable locations in the city, not new or returning. Compare that to Seeley or Humphries run, and it's a major difference. If you consider Rebirth stories as part of the big picture, Taylor's just done no developing of the city. If you view the run on its own merits, Bludhaven is significantly less developed than it was during Humphries run, or hell, less developed than it was during Percy's run.

Baffles me they ditched the Las Vegas aesthetic Seeley established. That was perfect, a great way to have the city reflect Dick the way Gotham does Bruce while also establishing Bludhaven as different. Now it’s just “generic East Coast city” again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/