Page 2 of 270 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

A suit with a domino mask and wings.

Happy Nightwing year to everybody!
    Tom Taylor, on Twitter, said that Red Hood has "definitily a chance" to appear on his Nightwing run.
    I hope we will get some good team up, this year. I've missed Dick being part of the superheroes community, Williamson's JL run was just a first step...
    Hoping we will get a proper Titans' run, too

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The cover with text and number has appeared and it's clean
    hSUoMGi37epfFikbwBPk6P-970-80.jpg
    I like that it's clean
    The logo under the issue number is no longer Batman as promised

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Here's to another year for Gotham's real greatest protector.

Didn't know this exist. I usually look through the digital store but it's not there even when this came out in Dec 1
    9144c+fOe0L.jpg
    They also take out the Grayson omnibus from digital store. It used to be there.
    Bat symbol's gone here too huh
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-03-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Here's to hoping Dick Grayson has a great year after the too long Ric debacle. My favourite Dick Grayson story is when he was Batman teaming up with Damian Wayne in Batman and Robin and Batman: The Black Mirror. What a period that was.

Astonishing Member

What's everybody's favourite Nightwing costume? I have three, the third and most famous version with the Nightwing logo going from the chest to down the arms stripe. After that, DC Rebirth and Batman: Arkham City.

My fave Nightwing costume hasn't appeared yet because I like a little bit of everything or some parts more than the others

EE4uiqXU8AI9HrX.jpg

Example, I prefer the bird at the front, like the BTAS costume, but I like it streamlined, no feather cuts under the bird wing, like the Rebirth version, but I want the line to be thick, like the Bludhaven version. The Rebirth one's too thin.

I like the fingerstripes of Bludhaven though I'm not as much as hardcore fan of it like others. What I like more is the hip stripes of the New 52 because they frame his... hmm... hmm... nicely. Front and back.

I can go with or without the thigh stripes of Rebirth. It depends on how much blue the top has.

Utilties, I like the Arkham Knight straps for his sticks and the more futuristic compartment inside the gauntlet in New 52. The pockets on the outside in the Bludhaven one is more visible but not as streamlined.

Domino mask I can go either blue or black. Depending on the overall look.

I dislike all the bird related logos in the costume, especially the dumb looking bird beak thing right in the center of his chest. It looks like an art error most of the time and completely breaks the flow of the costume, imo. Like the current costume shown in that new cover from Taylor's run has one side of the head completely straight but the other side with an angle. It looks like it was a mistake by the artist and I don't get why they did that. If they got rid of that then I think the costume would be okay.

I guess overall I don't think there has ever been a great Nightwing costume. They have had parts I liked and disliked, but all of them are pretty boring I think. Just not a whole lot you can do with a suit that is mostly black spandex and a few lines of color. It isn't like the Spider-man or even Batman costumes where you can get really creative with the designs because they have a lot more to work with. It is why I don't think the Nightwing costume translates well to live action because it is too plain.

I've never been a fan of the finger stripes and found it weird how attached people came to them, but I guess with a costume that has such few noticeable elements they didn't really have anything else to get attached to? At least those era costumes looked clean. No awkward bird beak, haha. I honestly think the New 52 costume when they toned down the giant symbol in the middle of his chest was okay, as I liked the arm spikes as a carry over from his Batman costume, but it being red ruined it. Then the Rebirth costume had the blue lines being way too thin, but started to look okay when some artists drew the lines thicker. The Arkham costume is probably the best out of the other media costumes, but nothing that inspiring I think still.

My favorite is this one:

jla 80 giant.jpg

But I don't think it has ever appeared in any comic apart from one random panel. The combination of blue, gold, and black is great.

I like the Rebirth design mostly because of the gloves. They add some great detail and the Gotham Knights design is good too. It's just a little too busy for the comics, imo.

nw 2.jpg

Runner-Ups:
    The Future State Nightwing might become one of my favorites. Take the Deathstroke stuff away and erase the T for Titans and it's pretty much what I want to see.

I immensely enjoyed the few times the finger stripes design was drawn with claws. I think it fits the style of the Nightwing mini and I would welcome it if it were implemented in an out-of-continuity book again.

nw fs tt claws.jpg

I agree that the hip stripes were a strike of genius.

The beak on the bird is too recognizably tied to Nightwing outside of comics to not be his logo at this point. The Rebirth suit is about as close to perfect as I've seen in the comics, but I agree the lines are a bit too thin and I hate the swishes along the boot. I actually kinda liked the blue palms that few artists draw though. The best Nightwing costume overall has to be B:TNA because it is streamlined down into only and entirely the suits iconic elements. But I do now prefer the sharp feathers smoothes off.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

If i had to choose, the classic black and blue one still is my favorite. The Rebirth one looks like a incomplete suit and i hate the belts around his arms.
    The Chicago suit second favorite, it would be number one if was blue.

The Reddit user wafflecopter13 made this edit of the Jorge Jimenez cover for Batman 99 and i just added the gauntlets with spikes, reminiscent from his time as Batman, like he had in the New 52.

This is basically my dream Nightwing costume. It has the bird logo with pointy wings at the top, the arms and finger stipes, the black and blue that i love and the gauntlets. It also has i little stripe in his legs, more suttle than the Rebirth one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    If i had to choose, the classic black and blue one still is my favorite. The Rebirth one looks like a incomplete suit and i hate the belts around his arms.
    The Chicago suit second favorite, it would be number one if was blue.

The Reddit user wafflecopter13 made this edit of the Jorge Jimenez cover for Batman 99 and i just added the gauntlets with spikes, reminiscent from his time as Batman, like he had in the New 52.

This is basically my dream Nightwing costume. It has the bird logo with pointy wings at the top, the arms and finger stipes, the black and blue that i love and the gauntlets. It also has i little stripe in his legs, more suttle than the Rebirth one.

Yes these edits are pretty close to what I want
    Also I like to add, no armor, at least not the parts that makes him heavy. He should be light, fast, and flippy. Dodging hits including bullets rather than tanking them like movie Batman.
    So I'm not sure about the rubber look on Brett Booth's design because they look inflexible. It should be lycra or spandex leotard, what gymnasts would wear.

Spectacular Member

Happy new year! Things are looking up for Dick for sure, I'm actually excited.

Favorite costume is still the Dixon era blue and black, with the finger stripes and points-on-the-collar-bone chevron. Thus far I've found all attempts to add additional color to the suit, like the Rebirth costume, to only distract and provide inconsistent design aesthetics.

But I do really love the New52 Booth design; it provided some much needed texture to the suit and had it simply updated the Dixon design instead of adding in weird bits of color like the not-belt on his hips (and been blue instead of red) it'd have been damn near perfect.

And I have a lot of love for the DCAU version too, the one with the bird emblem instead of the chevron. I like the chevron more but Dick needs a marketable emblem and the bird logo has been used in a ton of larger media stuff.

I'm also somewhat partial to this redesign I did myself. Pretty sure a lot of the detail will be lost in the forum though.

Nightwing McArthur.jpg

Edit: yup, lot of detail got lost. There's a bit of line work in there you probably can't see, a few seams and such that're not showing up.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-03-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.