Page 270 of 270 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270
Results 4,036 to 4,044 of 4044

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Books have survived selling less
    Notably catwoman and redhood

DC has plans for Jackson they are not gonna stop pushing him.
    What plans do you think they have for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I hadn't heard any speculation about Dick sharing an arc in YJ, but I'd actually like that. I'm worried that that arc will be all Batfamily centric but what I loved about the YJ universe was that Dick got to interact with other, bigger heroes in new and interesting ways. I don't want to see him, Tim, Steph, and Kate meeting Jason Todd. Yawn.
    I mean, if Dick's arc doesn't give Tim any lines, who else's will? Or Jason flashbacks to explain his circumstances.

Frankly they're going to look stupid the more they end up on Infinity Island and don't realize that's Jason up until they finally reveal it to them. Not that I put it pass the show to have it be yet another off-screen moment. Or maybe they'd put it in a slideshow.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    What plans do you think they have for him?
    Most likely in other media.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post

And I remember everyone hopping on Seeley for saying that. Because they were like "oh, nooo, Dick is his own thing, xyz, he doesn't need Batman. And here we are almost 6 years later, and Dick is still doing what he always does. Ill admit, I don't think Seeley is some brilliant writer for Nightwing, but I do think he has said some hard truths about Nightwing that people for some reason love to attack him over despite the fact that he isn't the only one saying it. He tried to take Dick in a different direction, and promptly got harassed over it. I don't blame him for being cynical about Nightwing and his fandom.
    There's this thing in fandom where people take what the author says or writes and think that's what he believes, or wants from the character. They thought that him saying he's a brand extension of Batman means he'll gonna write him that way, even if he's just saying what DC/WB is doing with the character. ​

Another example, when the Robins story first announced, that Batman has a secret first Robin, instead of thinking that there's gonna be a twist in the story, especially since this is pretty much a similar mystery as Batman and Robin Eternal, certain fans think it's DC meddling with continuity again and that The Author Know Nothing... which, to be fair, DC does meddle with continuity, and it doesn't help that Seeley pick, choose and alter past continuity too... so even if they have a benefit of the doubt back then... it's gone now... because they're now convinced this is is just DC and the author being stupid and know nothing.

Another example, a new author is assigned to write Bat fam... specifically Talia... people are hyped because she's middle eastern... but then immediately became antagonistic once they find out she used to make a fanfic about romantically pairing the Robins brothers... because the assumption is she must be gonna apply that fantasy to canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    [...]

Anyway, it's nice that Nightwing and Robin are doing well. Surprising that Titans united is ranked so low. It's considerably better than TTA.
    Titans United had marketing and bad expectations working against it until it actually came out and told a good story. It also seems like it "doesn't matter". The direct market doesn't really like such books.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    [...]
    Another example, a new author is assigned to write Bat fam... specifically Talia... people are hyped because she's middle eastern... but then immediately became antagonistic once they find out she used to make a fanfic about romantically pairing the Robins brothers... because the assumption is she must be gonna apply that fantasy to canon.
    Wait, what? Did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Creators have always wanted to write Nightwing. It’s DC who refused to “waste” big names on Dick and instead insisted on putting them on Batman. Waid’s Daredevil run started as a pitch for Nightwing but DC didn’t want to put a “big name” like Waid on a book like Nightwing.
    I think the problem is, who wants to write Dick now and for what reason? And the reason mostly seems to be that they never got a (good) shot years ago.

Nicieza has wanted to write a proper Nightwing run for a long time and still seems into the idea. Waid seems to be in the same boat given he wants to heavily involve Dick in World's Finest. No idea about what Nicieza would do, but Waid would probably continue the 90s parade or fall straight into the 80s.

Even Snyder's BL book is an old Batman Dick idea retooled, and he isn't in any rush to start it.

Another one who has claimed to be interested in Dick is Johns, who is so good at writing his favs we don't see him write them at all.

And the thing is, I don't think DC Editorial has necessarily changed how it approaches Dick yet, even if the hire-ups that had the most against him are gone. Lemire & Nguyen wanted to do Robin Earth One, and while I enjoy Robin & Batman immensely, getting that gig wouldn’t only have given them more page count but also more time to focus on Dick and create something entirely new. Not sure if it was a Robin Dick solo DC had a problem with or if the pitch got pushed aside because they are dropping Earth One. I'm just going to assume it's both. It's also strange that Robin & Batman exists as this Black Label seeming book without actually being Black Label.

And because writers aren’t the only important element: I haven’t seen artists practically beg to be on Nightwing the way you sometimes see them do for other characters. (Though I appreciate being proven wrong about this.)

Maybe Jamal Campbell would like to be on Nightwing properly, given he drew and wrote a Dick black-and-white story, was drawing some of Humphries' arc, and seems to stay on NW Variants despite being the main artist on Naomi again. During his work on Far Sector he was said to be a slow artist, so if he does NW Variants and Naomi at the same time that seems like dedication to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Random Idea: Watching Hawkeye on D+... is that the way to do Batman and Robin?
    The genuine bonding and found family feeling is something I would want to see in a Robin & Batman movie or series. But overall Kate & Clint are extremely different from Dick & Bruce, so there aren't any specific elements I would say fit.

Tbh, I would rather DC not look at it at all because their horrible takeaway would probably be that Robin Dick has to be Kate's age so that he is a morally sound sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    And once again, WB ain't nothing for how they described Dick vs everyone else when promo'ing for Gotham Knights. For some reason Dick's only redeeming qualities as a vigilante is the fact that he is a charismatic leader who is the oldest/wise and a master acrobat.
    I just read the character bios and yeah, Dick’s reads very watered down, and it's strange that they mention an incident that put Babs in the wheelchair and Jason dying but not Dick's parents dying.

The only thing I want from the game is that it shows Dick's connection to the court, but with Dick's luck some higher-up decided during development not to include it.

Re-exploring Dick's time as Robin in the comics is probably the best Dick Grayson content that DC has put out with him in years. But I wish they would spend more time giving the actual Nightwing part of him some of that same love/attention.
    I agree. It seems to me as if DC is pushing Robin Dick more than ever.

Two Batman/Superman runs with Dick. Robin & Batman. The Tec event has Robin Dick on more covers than Nightwing, plus a back-up story… The Robins OGN too. I wish that would mean they are working toward something and that little wee Dick is going to appear at the end of The Batman.

It does make me wonder how good Tec is going to be to Nightwing. Dick going up against Psycho-Pirate will be fun - if he doesn’t get jobbed again, and it at least seems as if they are letting Dick investigate, which sounds good, but then solicitations go right back to the usual bat event stuff: Bruce saves Dick - who is drugged up on fear toxin of all overdone things.

And because I mentioned the OGNs above. It's baffling that Dick doesn't have a Nightwing OGN.

The Lost Carnival was alright, but it didn’t have a recognizable name. “A Dick Grayson story” is only the subheading. One that didn’t make it onto the spine of the book! (“Unearthed: A Jessica Cruz story” has the whole name on the spine.) It also pushed Dick into the background apart from the romance instead of embracing that it could have done anything with Dick. And his upcoming TT OGN is of course Robin, which he shares with Damian.

Speaking of Young Justice, I hate how Dick went from being a really well rounded and personable character with aspirations. He had an idea of who he wanted to be and wanted to build a path towards it. But starting mid-season 2, it seems Dick turned into the one thing he said he never wanted to be. Since then, Dick hasn't been portrayed as the best in Young Justice, if at all. Really starting to get tired of the character nerfing that seems to happen to him. I pray the rumors of him sharing an arc with another character are not true, because I really want to see Dick react to Jason and do some reflection on the person he has become. I just also hope it doenst turn into a Dick blame fest that normally happens in the comics. Dick has lost three people who he was close with, Wally, Jason and now Connor. I want to see him explore his mental health and finally go on that path he set out to go on from season 1. No batfam, no other Young Justice characters. Just Dick, Dinah and Jason. The fewer people in his arc for me would be the better. Otherwise, the writers just make him look like a hypocrite and also dropped the ball on a really great character arc that started in season 1. Fingers crossed that Nightwing's arc in young justie actually does his character some good service. He has also been seen with Black Lightening and Superman here and there too, so there is also that.
    Dick definitely has become too much like Bruce. Season 1 was great for him, the other seasons dropped the ball in comparison, even if I could get some enjoyment out of Season 3.

I'm not sure how much trust I have in a good portrayal in Season 4. By the time Dick's arc starts, there’ll probably be three storylines that are being told at once, and he’ll have twenty minutes of the spotlight if at all.

I'd prefer to see Dick interact with Jefferson again and the League as a whole. I'm not interested in another “Red Hood” storyline with Jason. Especially now that Titans just did that. I also have a feeling that if they focus on Jason, he'll be what Vandal Savage was to Zatanna's arc.

Only Dick and Jason maybe Dinah might work, but I don't think a Dick and Jason arc without the Batfamily is realistic. They'll invite themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Just a quick thought, but are they? It's a little sad to think about, but with the Infinite Frontier reboot, Taylor brought back a version of Dixon's classic Bludhaven and Dick's history with it, right? So far, the only non-Dixon Bludhaven event mentioned has been the Ric Grayson era. Nothing from Rebirth, not the Untouchable story either, and as might be expected, nothing from Percy's run either.

Like, to put it into perspective, the big reason Tim and Babs were made to be relevant to Taylor's first arc is because Dick is said to still be recovering from the injury that made him an amnesiac in the first place. Even when Dick shows off some cool feats near the end of the arc, the context is that even if Dick is capable of great things, he shouldn't be risking things because of his injury (and he still does because of course he does, he's Dick Grayson). This run may be primarily built on "classic" Bludhaven, but Dick himself is still on a journey to recover from the inciting incident of the Ric era. I don't think DC has done much of anything to make us forget it happened, more like Taylor is moving to make it feel worthwhile in the long run... which isn't the worst thing ever (I've said it before, it's a very effective way of nerfing Dick whenever the plot needs to), but it's not something I'm happy about lol.
    Well, yeah, I kinda agree. Ric bled into Taylor's first arc whenever it got convenient. In addition to what HsssH mentioned, Robin #5 made a Ric joke too.

It makes sense that Taylor is only using Ric because what Humphries and Seeley did doesn't fit with his Blüdhaven. It would destroy his 90s illusion.
    Last edited by Avi; 12-31-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Came across this on YT and it really made my day

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post

Maybe Jamal Campbell would like to be on Nightwing properly, given he drew and wrote a Dick black-and-white story, was drawing some of Humphries' arc, and seems to stay on NW Variants despite being the main artist on Naomi again. During his work on Far Sector he was said to be a slow artist, so if he does NW Variants and Naomi at the same time that seems like dedication to the character.
    I think Campbell once said that Nightwing is his favorite.

Also Nick Robles (who did Jason variant cover in the Robins) said he wanted to draw Nightwing professionally - https://twitter.com/ArtofNickRobles/...49547797508098

It also seems that Nightwing is #1 on CBR’s Top 100 comics of the year. Nice.
    the https://www.cbr.com/cbr-top-100-comics-of-2021-10-1/
    Last edited by Lal; 12-31-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Hmmm i'd be happy to see a book with Dick as Batman and Damian and Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm i'd be happy to see a book with Dick as Batman and Damian and Nightwing.
    I’m not opposed to it, Damian is right now the only person I can see taking on Nightwing as a mantle.
    But I know a happy dick is not one who is Batman.