Page 33 of 270 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I'm kind of amazed at the strong emoting coming from Batman's eyes.

Does Dick know this is Jace? Does he even know who Jace is?

That's a cool first page. An epic team-up is all I need. No more story, just kicking ass, and I'll be happy enough

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    That's a cool first page. An epic team-up is all I need. No more story, just kicking ass, and I'll be happy enough
    This is the type of NightWing I wish we had more of. A leader who is badass, tactical, and hyper competent. It’s a shame we only get this in an out of continuity story.

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    This is the type of NightWing I wish we had more of. A leader who is badass, tactical, and hyper competent. It’s a shame we only get this in an out of continuity story.
    After the last few years I'll take what I can get, and hope that Taylor intends on giving us this kind of Nightwing going forward on a regular basis.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

This is looking really good! I'm pleased with how they're handling Dick and Jace as the new Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

He was at Hudson U specifically during the Tim Fox period but like, he's Batman's # 1 friend, associate and super-detective student and is pretty aware of Luke and Lucius, so ... probably. Even with the introduction in the seventies, Lucius (& Extended Fam) would've been known to the protected ward of guardian Bruce Wayne and the murders of the Graysons could theoretically have been more "Publicly Notorious and Well Remembered" than the Wayne Murders. Dick isn't always aware of every detail Bruce would be, but word that Lucius had a kid who dabbled with Terrible Trio dirty-work seems like it would have reached him. But on that note, Jace has been gone quite a while and since this is a 'decade later' ALT-future storyline, even longer.

Come to think of it this just makes me realize that Dick Grayson should be more of a celebrity than Bruce Wayne. People remember the Wayne Murders sure, and the Wayne name has a big 'private' influence in Gotham and Bruce uses it as a strategic tactic as well, employing his celebrity as a tool in his arsenal. But the murders were a while ago, he keeps to himself, it seems like it would be more talked about in "certain social circles". The rich and socialites in particular. Cops who talk about it as an unsolved case. Doctors who knew Thomas & Martha.

But the Grayson Murders? One of the highest profile opening salvos of the "Colorful Villains" Modern Gotham, when one of Gotham's scummiest mobsters killed world-famous performers and then Gotham's Richest Orphan takes the kid in and makes him into a millionaire? Dick shouldn't be able to go out in public.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 02-13-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    He was at Hudson U specifically during the Tim Fox period but like, he's Batman's # 1 friend, associate and super-detective student and is pretty aware of Luke and Lucius, so ... probably. Even with the introduction in the seventies, Lucius (& Extended Fam) would've been known to the protected ward of guardian Bruce Wayne and the murders of the Graysons could theoretically have been more "Publicly Notorious and Well Remembered" than the Wayne Murders. Dick isn't always aware of every detail Bruce would be, but word that Lucius had a kid who dabbled with Terrible Trio dirty-work seems like it would have reached him. But on that note, Jace has been gone quite a while and since this is a 'decade later' ALT-future storyline, even longer.

Come to think of it this just makes me realize that Dick Grayson should be more of a celebrity than Bruce Wayne. People remember the Wayne Murders sure, and the Wayne name has a big 'private' influence in Gotham and Bruce uses it as a strategic tactic as well, employing his celebrity as a tool in his arsenal. But the murders were a while ago, he keeps to himself, it seems like it would be more talked about in "certain social circles". The rich and socialites in particular. Cops who talk about it as an unsolved case. Doctors who knew Thomas & Martha.

But the Grayson Murders? One of the highest profile opening salvos of the "Colorful Villains" Modern Gotham, when one of Gotham's scummiest mobsters killed world-famous performers and then Gotham's Richest Orphan takes the kid in and makes him into a millionaire? Dick shouldn't be able to go out in public.
    They're celebrity but Circus celebrity. It's not that famous.

The Wayne boys could be like Kardashians.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

This reminds me of in Bad Blood where they established Dick was childhood friends with Kate and Luke and even had a crush on Kate .

Regarding Dick and his celebrity status, I think he probably pisses off the paparazzi more than anything by being exceptionally boring.

Bruce tends to stay fairly low profile, and when he does do something news worthy it's often something embarrassing or scandalous (done to cover up his Bat activities of course, but nobody knows that), with enough charity work thrown in to keep Bruce's public persona sympathetic. The press in Gotham likely follow Bruce around as much as they can, hoping to catch him in some awkward goof, since they happen just often enough to keep the reporters thirsty for more.

But Dick? Okay, he was an athletic wunderkind who's parents were literally murdered in a spotlight who then gets adopted by the richest dude on the east coast....and Dick then grows up to be so sexy he makes straight men question their choices. I imagine the paparazzi were drooling all over themselves with the hopes that Dick would end up keeping them in business all by himself, right? I mean, on paper all that sounds like the perfect recipe for tabloid drama and sales. But what does Dick do? Spends tons of time away from Gotham, rarely ever steps into the spotlight, has little to do with the company, doesn't have a long string of very public broken hearts behind him, and usually lives in very modest, almost cramped, apartments. He ends up looking so mundane the tabloids really don't have anything to work with, and more reputable news sources don't either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Regarding Dick and his celebrity status, I think he probably pisses off the paparazzi more than anything by being exceptionally boring.

Bruce tends to stay fairly low profile, and when he does do something news worthy it's often something embarrassing or scandalous (done to cover up his Bat activities of course, but nobody knows that), with enough charity work thrown in to keep Bruce's public persona sympathetic. The press in Gotham likely follow Bruce around as much as they can, hoping to catch him in some awkward goof, since they happen just often enough to keep the reporters thirsty for more.

But Dick? Okay, he was an athletic wunderkind who's parents were literally murdered in a spotlight who then gets adopted by the richest dude on the east coast....and Dick then grows up to be so sexy he makes straight men question their choices. I imagine the paparazzi were drooling all over themselves with the hopes that Dick would end up keeping them in business all by himself, right? I mean, on paper all that sounds like the perfect recipe for tabloid drama and sales. But what does Dick do? Spends tons of time away from Gotham, rarely ever steps into the spotlight, has little to do with the company, doesn't have a long string of very public broken hearts behind him, and usually lives in very modest, almost cramped, apartments. He ends up looking so mundane the tabloids really don't have anything to work with, and more reputable news sources don't either.

I would think all of that would make a responsible journalist curious.

Honestly it doesn't seem like most of the Batfamily other than Bruce is followed that much by journalists or the paparazzi, even though by all rights they should.

Probably because there's no way they could maintain any secrecy or deniability the way they operate or are linked together. I think I remember how quickly Vicki Vale was able to deduce everybody when she set out to expose Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    I would think all of that would make a responsible journalist curious.
    I think it would. But assuming the Bats are any good at keeping their secrets, and we have to assume they are because their ID's haven't been outed, then that responsible journalist would quickly decide there's no real story there. Dick's issues with Bruce would just look like typical family stuff, and wouldn't be good for much more than the occasional clickbait article. And Dick himself, you'd expect some Paris Hilton level scandals there right? But instead the biggest scandal Dick's involved in is what, breaking up with an exotic supermodel? Changing jobs every six months?

I'm not saying that the Wayne family wouldn't be in the papers at all, of course they would. But I don't think Dick would be followed around by an army of paparazzi either; not at this point. Certainly when he was younger, but not now. He's proven to be far too down to earth and "normal" to sell tabloids.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Dick actually met Tim "Jace" Fox back in his debut storyline in 1979-1980. His part of the story involved tracing Tim Fox, because Tim thought Bruce had owned the worst tenements in town, so he was gonna blow up the Wayne Foundation building. He was being manipulated. Dick stuck up for him when Bruce beat up the entire gang Tim was running with.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Dick actually met Tim "Jace" Fox back in his debut storyline in 1979-1980. His part of the story involved tracing Tim Fox, because Tim thought Bruce had owned the worst tenements in town, so he was gonna blow up the Wayne Foundation building. He was being manipulated. Dick stuck up for him when Bruce beat up the entire gang Tim was running with.
    More recently, I believe it was in a Batgirl issue, Luke Fox talked about how his father remembered Dick from when he would hang out at Wayne Enterprises and swing from the light fixtures, and how Lucius was inconsolable at Dick's apparent death in Forever Evil. So, going by that, he has a long time strong connection with the Fox family.