Page 47 of 270 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/468030

Holy crap there are even more previews! 4 more pages featuring Dick and Babs first meeting and fighting bullies together before Papa Gordon drove him home and Babs saw Wayne Manor for the first time.

That's what, 10 pages of previews? They're really confident in this.
    How old are they their
    Aww lol Babs is so cute

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    How old are they their
    Aww lol Babs is so cute
    "Shelton is two years older than me" and they know each other by first name, so first year high school.
    Right before the growth spurt then because Babs is short.
    Maybe last year middle school...
    Basically 14-15?
    Oh yeah looks like this confirms they're the same age then.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-12-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

If the rest of this run is as good as these few pages...its going to be so much fun.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    If the rest of this run is as good as these few pages...its going to be so much fun.
    Right? That put a smile on my face for sure.

By the way I noticed while Babs is still cute and innocent, Dick has this dark countenance about him, and I don't think it's because of hating Sheldon or dreading Bruce's anger. He didn't smile once and I don't think he talks all the way home in Gordon's car.

He has the eyes of someone already burdened by crimefighting. Like Bruce. Like if you tell me this is young Bruce with no context I'd believe it.

I mean it could be that he just hates bully, but he didn't smile or quip once. The only time this happened in all the flashbacks I've seen is when he's still fresh out of his parents tragedy and when he's been bullied at school or at the orphanage, then after he has an outlet as Robin, it disappears. It's really rare to see him like this so I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Who says it would be under a positive life. The idea would be to explore both sides of it, creating drama, and exploring the potential positives and negatives. One of Dick’s biggest weaknesses imo is being portrayed as too much of a Boy Scout. A gambling lifestyle I think could create a number of interesting challenges for Dick’s character, yet at the same time keeps things flexible.
    I agree that it would give him some shadows to his character and lifestyle. I'm just saying that these comics, being aimed to teens, are unlikely to portrait an actual hero, classic-type hero like Dick, as someone who bets and gamble. It's a marketing matter.

That's something an antihero, a morally grey hero, like Constantine for example, would do and being shown to do in his comics. Someone who's going to go places a parent wouldn't like his teen to go. For Constantine, the narrative is going to show those life choices as something dangerous, grey or unhealthy; somehow exciting and cool but mostly something you see under a negative light. If Dick were to do that, because Dick is a hero, with clean morals, mature, responsible, a good figure overall, as much as he has flaws, certain readers are going to see it under a good light, no matter if he would loose his house, break into debt, ruin his life or worse (the Stark effect, by House Stark, is how I call that). I can't imagine editorial wanting to sell a Dick who ruins his life because of gambling because as I said, they're selling Dick as a rather classic hero. A conflicted hero, a flawed hero; but a responsible one. Some sort of a model (I think you perhaps wouldn't like Dick to weight so much responsibility, but it's how usually I see him depicted as a hero and leader).

It's the same reason why I don't think they would give Dick a drug addiction, for example. Not in mainline comics. Side stories, black label books, elseworlds... that's a different matter. That's a place por testing everyone feels safe about. And you can target those stories for an adult audience without much of a fuss (b*tpen**ses aside).

I do think it could do for an interesting story, but I don't think it's likely to happen. It also would worry me how they would do it, the way they would depict it all. It's probably because I'm pretty wary of gambling overall myself. I'm biased. I dislike gambling, so I wouldn't like a Dick whose daily job is being a professional gambler. And it would hurt me if he were to have a really hard time and suffer because of it.

Anyways, just my opinion. All of my post is just an opinion. And you guys know I'm not even a hardcore fan, to begin with.

Edit: in any case, it seems to be an idea for a dayjob some of you like a lot. Which in the end it's what matters, really.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-12-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Spectacular Member

By the way I noticed while Babs is still cute and innocent, Dick has this dark countenance about him, and I don't think it's because of hating Sheldon or dreading Bruce's anger. He didn't smile once and I don't think he talks all the way home in Gordon's car.

He has the eyes of someone already burdened by crimefighting. Like Bruce. Like if you tell me this is young Bruce with no context I'd believe it.

I mean it could be that he just hates bully, but he didn't smile or quip once. The only time this happened in all the flashbacks I've seen is when he's still fresh out of his parents tragedy and when he's been bullied at school or at the orphanage, then after he has an outlet as Robin, it disappears. It's really rare to see him like this so I'm interested.
    I noticed that too. Dick carried around a lot of grief and anger as a kid, and I think it's cool that's being acknowledged (if that's what this is and he isn't just dreading Bruce grounding him lol).

Extraordinary Member

Or his parents just died

Or his parents just died
    I discounted that since if we're going with the classic timeline he looks a bit too old for that and usually by that point he already let go, but they haven't defined when exactly they died if this is a new continuity, so yeah maybe that's still it.

Extraordinary Member

I discounted that since if we're going with the classic timeline he looks a bit too old for that and usually by that point he already let go, but they haven't defined when exactly they died if this is a new continuity, so yeah maybe that's still it.
    14/15 wasn’t that his new adoption age
    Also do you really ever let go?

14/15 wasn’t that his new adoption age
    Also do you really ever let go?
    No idea
    No... well... depend on the person... with Dick what I see he shifts focus

He bought the whole apartment block years ago... he hasn't been in Bludhaven for years. It's 2 years, tops, in Rebirth, and Damian hasn't aged in those years, so we can even count it as just 1. Is that an old Bludhaven reference?
    I'm overhyped and asked everyone I know who knows and got an answer

No he never bought a whole apartment block in old Bludhaven

This is brand new

Oh and another thing I already know but forget to mention, Dick doesn't like to use Wayne money be it in Dixon or Higgins continuity. He did ask Bruce to buy a few buildings in Tomasi's run for strategic HQs, and he's not above stealing Bruce's credit card to buy Wally's apartment and all of the charges in Rebirth.

So it's fine if it's for job or friends, but not if it's for himself.

So until confirmed otherwise, I take it that this apartment purchase was for the job
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-13-2021 at 02:11 AM.

Incredible Member

As the early myths is being tweaked here, it might be interesting if Babs lighten’s Dick’s world the way he does Bruce’s. I like the new version... Barbara popping up as a young librarian years later always seemed ridiculous to me.

No idea
    No... well... depend on the person... with Dick what I see he shifts focus

I'm overhyped and asked everyone I know who knows and got an answer

No he never bought a whole apartment block in old Bludhaven

This is brand new

Oh and another thing I already know but forget to mention, Dick doesn't like to use Wayne money be it in Dixon or Higgins continuity. He did ask Bruce to buy a few buildings in Tomasi's run for strategic HQs, and he's not above stealing Bruce's credit card to buy Wally's apartment and all of the charges in Rebirth.

So it's fine if it's for job or friends, but not if it's for himself.

So until confirmed otherwise, I take it that this apartment purchase was for the job
    You talking about current continuity?
    Because during the Chuck Dixon's run he indeed bought the whole building that he lived so the people there would not get evicted.

Edit: This is the issue, Nightwing #21.
    Last edited by Drako; 03-13-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

"Shelton is two years older than me" and they know each other by first name, so first year high school.
    Right before the growth spurt then because Babs is short.
    Maybe last year middle school...
    Basically 14-15?
    Oh yeah looks like this confirms they're the same age then.
    Oh! Another first meet. I hope there's a point to Shelton.

https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/468030

Holy crap there are even more previews! 4 more pages featuring Dick and Babs first meeting and fighting bullies together before Papa Gordon drove him home and Babs saw Wayne Manor for the first time.

That's what, 10 pages of previews? They're really confident in this.
    I'm torn between thinking this is really cute, especially little girl Babs, and just feeling weird that they're first meeting wasn't as Robin and Batgirl.

But it does seem to indicate that Dick and Babs' relationship is going to be important to this run. I mean, they're going through all the childhood friend romance cliche's .

I don't think they confirm he was Robin then but if he was, I think that's official confirmation he started out younger as Robin again instead of at 16. I forget if that had been re-established or was just insinuated. Babs looks way too young to be Batgirl so that probably didn't happen until she was in her late teens and that's when her and Dick's relationship really took off.