Page 52 of 270 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Yeah, I think that Taylor played it smart and didn't reveal actual will. If some writer wants to write a story about Alfred leaving his favourite watch to Jason or whoever else then they can do that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Going by that logic, you would love your older children allways the most. Don't get me wrong, I get where you are coming from, but I need to point out this logic that, to be honest, I don't like.

But anyways. It's a personal letter, not a will. It's also meta to some level. Whatever.

The issue is good then, right?
    It was a good issue it just went by quick. The art was good and writing is promising.

Issue was pretty good. Art was fab.

I feel like if the writers for all the batfam issues wanted to address the relationship and death with Alfred then I think that's the writers responsibility, Taylor decided to do it and I don't believe it's reflection for Alfred's other relationships with the other Robins.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mib86 View Post
    The writer was clever here: Dick missed the reading of the will (because it was Rick at the time)and considering that, he can show us only the part about him.
    Alfred certainly left something to others as well, but it is up to other authors to explore.
    (after this story, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he left more to Dick than Bruce).
    Ah I didn't read Pennyworth RIP since that whole Damian-Thomas-Bane-Alfred thing is just a mess, but if there's a will, then by Alfred logic everyone would get something

Also Julia didn't attend that and any other Bat fam meeting after because she couldn't bring herself to it. Grief, anger, maybe a little bit of blame, she decided to be on her own. That's my logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Damian, who he told to get lost when his Dad couldn’t remember him.
    Yeah that whole arc is also messed up

About the adoption, Tim seems to have all his back story back, but Steph and Cass will have to wait until maybe later this year, since up until the end of Rebirth they're still using their New 52 back story, meaning they have less connection to Bruce than Damian.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-16-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    All-New Wolverine and Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man were the first Marvel books i read in decades, waiting for his Nightwing. Not disappointed in either of those, specially Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man that is really, really great.
    Cheers. Never read All-New Wolverine. Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man was great especially #14. Please seek out Batman Annual #3, that is Taylor's best story and nails the Bruce/Alfred love for one another.

The only problem for me is that DC released like 10 pages of preview, so i had already read half of the issue.
    I felt that way too actually. That might be the only real complaint I have.

As for the will, I think it was handled pretty well by leaving it ambiguous. It's very possible the others did get something but poor auld Ric wasn't aware of it. I'm going with he left something for the others but gave Dick the lions share of the money for the reasons specified in the letter.

The art was phenomenal in this issue. I'm not really into Dick/Babs but the way Bruno Redondo drew that scene on the fire escape was masterful. The panel with her squeezing his shoulder actually managed to convey more warmth than the fake wedding they had.

Well, that was fun. Redondo and Lucas are killing it on art.

• The added “DC proudly presents” is a nice little reminder that this is supposed to be a game-changer. Didn't expect that.
    • Dick’s and Babs’ interactions are pretty well, imo. I also have my issues with how the sneak attack was handled, but it could be worse. Barbara complaining about Dick's security didn’t bother me. She probably complains about all security.
    • The “your mind is astonishing” gives me lots of hope. Now they just have to show it.
    • I laughed when they didn’t even mention the name R/c and hope that this is the last we’ll see of it being mentioned ever again.
    • Melinda's bodyguard(?) looks a bit like Onyx, not that I really think it is. Would be strange if they included her after saying they don’t want to saturate Blüdhaven with Bat characters.
    • I like that everyone is so fashionable. Even Blockbuster. That long hair really flows when he crushes heads, lol. It also looks very white compared to the dirty-blond at times almost brown hair he has had before.
    • Melinda has me curious. Given the set-up at the end of the issue, I’m guessing Dick’s New52 connections to the Zucco family will be ignored. But, Her last name isn’t mentioned while the Mayor is still alive. Could she be Sonia under a fake name? Probably just a coincidence, but this is the same color scheme:
      zucco daughters.jpg
    • I think it's a bit weird that Alfred makes it seems as if Dick is not supposed to help as Dick Grayson. "Laying low" sounds to me as if Bruce just doesn't want Dick to get into fights that he shouldn't be able to win.

I agree that they released a bit too many preview pages. It almost seems as if they didn't plan on promoting Nightwing so heavily, then got shocked into action when Nightwing trended on Twitter on the day of the #78 solicitation release.

Oh man. It's been such a long time since I enjoyed a Nightwing book. Once again, Taylor does not disappoint. Though if I had one gripe, it would be how unsure I feel about this extremely coincidental child of Zucco being a major player in the city Nightwing just happens to be operating in. But depending on where they go with her, I can look past that.

Pretty solid set up issue, a bit over hyped in all those reviews, but a really good start none the less. It did feel like I read half the issue already due to all the released previews, but that one's on me. Man that art though, 10/10.

Probably too early to ask, but is Sonia no longer in continuity? I can't really remember the last time she was around and I think we all expected her to be the one that showed up when we heard a Zucco would be involved in this arc. Also I wonder how they'll explain Nightwing not knowing about a Zucco being a politician in the city he operates in until now. Did she only rise to prominence during his time as Ric? That would be a pretty quick climb up the ranks.
    Last edited by Murrocko; 03-16-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Oh man. It's been such a long time since I enjoyed a Nightwing book. Once again, Taylor does not disappoint. Though if I had one gripe, it would be how unsure I feel about this extremely coincidental child of Zucco being a major player in the city Nightwing just happens to be operating in. But depending on where they go with her, I can look past that.
    Well, by the end of the issue we know that she is after him. So it's not far fetched to think she went to bludhaven to look for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    Pretty solid set up issue, a bit over hyped in all those reviews, but a really good start none the less. It did feel like I read half the issue already due to all the released previews, but that one's on me. Man that art though, 10/10.

Probably too early to ask, but is Sonia no longer in continuity? I can't really remember the last time she was around and I think we all expected her to be the one that showed up when we heard a Zucco would be involved in this arc. Also I wonder how they'll explain Nightwing not knowing about a Zucco being a politician in the city he operates in until now. Did she only rise to prominence during his time as Ric? That would be a pretty quick climb up the ranks.
    Last time we saw Sonya was Nightwing #29 from the New 52. I hope they at least acknowledge her in some form.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    So he didn't rise Jason, Tim or Cass. Or Damian. Have no emotional ties with them.

Ok.
    One of the worst things about fanon is how it corrupts actual canon. Alfred didn't raise jason, Tim or damian.

Alfred's actions point to him not actually caring at all for Jason and Damian.

Jason he urged Bruce to replace and never once seemed to mind no matter how bad Bruce treated Him.

Tim was a part-timer with a home and family so Bruce and Alfred never raised him

Damian he didn't care for willing to get rid of the 10 year old.

Dick is the only one Alfred raised and the only one we have ACTUAL canon stories to show that Alfred truly cared for.

Fans treat Alfred like he was some father and a sacred Cow but the guy was awful and only cared for Bruce and Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I need to see more, they could be trying to combine Dixon’s Bludhaven with Seeley’s Bludhaven.
    Wasn't Dixon's Bludhaven blown up, resulting in the deaths of Tim's stepmother and fake uncle? His Dad was already dead by then, leading to him getting adopted by Bruce. But since Tim hasn't reverted to calling himself Tim Wayne, I guess that's no longer canon?
    Sneak peek of the next issue:

So, he's doing the mannequin thing like the heroes did in the Arrow and Flash TV shows.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue. Looking forward to see where Taylor’s run goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    She could also have changed her name at one point. Would explain a lot without requiring any real effort to explain.

feels good to hear so many positives about taylors Nightwing. More excited for mine to arrive now

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Listen no one is devaluing their relationship, they all cared about Alfred and Alfred cared about them to as seen in a number of different stories. But aside from Bruce, Alfred knew Dick the longest. Dick spent almost a decade or more as Robin at the Wayne Manor living with them and when he moved out he was like a son who came to visit.
    If you go by Post Crisis it was only 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Tim was more a neighbor until Bruce officially adopted him after the death of his father, and even that was only like a year until Damian showed up.
    When Tim went to Brentwood Academy, Alfred left Bruce and went with Tim. Meaning he lived there with Tim for quite sometime (I would say a year, but Tim's timeline is really fuzzy because his slowed down ageing).
    Tim was also living at Wayne Manor for quite some time after the death of his mother when his father was in coma.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Dick is the only one Alfred raised and the only one we have ACTUAL canon stories to show that Alfred truly cared for.
    That's at best a retcon. In the original stories from Dick's time as Robin (especially from the Golden Age) Alfred didn't really raise anyone...
    Last edited by Aahz; 03-16-2021 at 10:59 AM.