Page 55 of 270 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

The best you can hope for is Nightwing or Robin appearing in the Batgirl movie. That announcement of all the upcoming projects from WB showed zero interest in Nightwing or Robin. There still seems to be some stigma with a live action movie version of the character in the eyes of WB/DC.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The best you can hope for is Nightwing or Robin appearing in the Batgirl movie. That announcement of all the upcoming projects from WB showed zero interest in Nightwing or Robin. There still seems to be some stigma with a live action movie version of the character in the eyes of WB/DC.
    I think, even after all these years, in Hollywood. there is still the lasting bias of the Batman and Robin disaster.
    I hope the Gotham Knight game will be able to give it a little more light in the mainstream audience next year.
    After all, that's what happened with Harley Quinn after the Arkam saga

Honestly I feel it has more to do with most people in power look at nightwing as nothing more than a batman-lite/sidekick.

Bad isn't hurting them from pushing green lantern, catwoman or wonder woman from the big screens

That's why I what nightwing to be a global hero because right now a nightwing movie would just be a batman movie without batman in it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Not only that but the old Joker would never allow this thing called Batfam.

Batfam basically breaks the Joker. He can never be allowed to do harm to any of them.
    He's just some guy in a purple suit. He doesn't "allow" them to live, he doesn't have any better defenses against them than any other normal human. The reason neither dies is because people want to write stories with these characters in them. Also, the Joker hasn't been written as an interesting villain in years and has suffered from great overexposure; fine with me if he starts to take a back seat in Bats' rouges gallery.

Spectacular Member

The adult Robin thing from the Batman and Robin live action film is an issue, but the whole child soldier aspect complicates it even more. Robin is a popular character in comics, but people tend to give animation a pass they wouldn't for a blockbuster superhero flick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    He's just some guy in a purple suit. He doesn't "allow" them to live, he doesn't have any better defenses against them than any other normal human. The reason neither dies is because people want to write stories with these characters in them. Also, the Joker hasn't been written as an interesting villain in years and has suffered from great overexposure; fine with me if he starts to take a back seat in Bats' rouges gallery.
    Joker wants to break Batman on an emotional/psychological level. The best way to do it is to go after those that are close to him. But you have more of these characters that are basically not gonna be hurt because they have already been brought back from death or being disabled, then whats Joker doing?

My avatar represents the pain that Batman has to suffer in his crime fighting life.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-19-2021 at 03:02 PM.

The adult Robin thing from the Batman and Robin live action film is an issue, but the whole child soldier aspect complicates it even more. Robin is a popular character in comics, but people tend to give animation a pass they wouldn't for a blockbuster superhero flick.
    But at the same time they are making a Batgirl and Supergirl movie and have other teen focused superhero projects in the works and have done things like Shazam. It feels like it is specifically Robin that DC/WB has an issue with in live action movies. Probably because how it effects Batman. I think the Batman and Robin movie really hurt how they look at the character, but then with Nolan's Batman trilogy Nolan and Bale detested the idea of Robin and set the character back for another generation. Then Snyder followed Nolan's trend with not wanting to use Robin and even preferring to kill Robin/Dick in the past off screen unceremoniously because he probably looks at the Robin character as being stupid/childish and isn't "cool" enough for his edgy Batman. It just sucks.

There has been so many things piled against the Robin character in live action movies that it is such a tough hole to climb out of now. I hope that Reeve's Batman maybe changes this trend, but my gut tells me that it is just going to be more of the same with a new director for a new generation refusing to want to use Robin. So we are left hoping the character can maybe appear in Batgirl's movie, which is kind of sad given the iconic nature of the character.

Spectacular Member

But at the same time they are making a Batgirl and Supergirl movie and have other teen focused superhero projects in the works and have done things like Shazam. It feels like it is specifically Robin that DC/WB has an issue with in live action movies. Probably because how it effects Batman. I think the Batman and Robin movie really hurt how they look at the character, but then with Nolan's Batman trilogy Nolan and Bale detested the idea of Robin and set the character back for another generation. Then Snyder followed Nolan's trend with not wanting to use Robin and even preferring to kill Robin/Dick in the past off screen unceremoniously because he probably looks at the Robin character as being stupid/childish and isn't "cool" enough for his edgy Batman. It just sucks.

There has been so many things piled against the Robin character in live action movies that it is such a tough hole to climb out of now. I hope that Reeve's Batman maybe changes this trend, but my gut tells me that it is just going to be more of the same with a new director for a new generation refusing to want to use Robin. So we are left hoping the character can maybe appear in Batgirl's movie, which is kind of sad given the iconic nature of the character.
    Do we know that Batgirl and Supergirl are going to be teens and not young adults? Plus, Supergirl/Shazam are practically invulnerable.

I agree, I think it sucks too. It's part of what killed my interest in Zach Synder's stuff. Maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Got to read the issue Wednesday night (made a 45 minute drive to my LCS after work *just* to get this). And I'm not disappointed in the least. It was the kind of classic status reset I expected to get after all the Ric nonsense, and felt like a breath of sweet, fresh air. Taylor gave each moment plenty of space to stretch and breathe, Dick's voice felt pretty spot on, and I think Taylor nailed the reading of the will and Dick's response to it. And the art was superb on every level. Definitely one of the best looking comics I've picked up lately, and that's saying something considering how good a lot of the Future State art has been.

Not the most action packed or fastest paced issue out there, and I hope to see denser storytelling going forward, but for what this issue needed to be and what it needed to set up I think it did a fantastic job. I hope that as we get deeper into the run, Taylor will pick up the pacing and expand Dick's mythos beyond Bludhaven, find some niche that Dick can call his own that'll help him stand out as more than just another Bat. But you gotta get things back on track before you can rebuild in any meaningful way and I think Taylor did very well here. I'm not even that bothered by Babs flipping Dick when he got to his apartment and I got a big bias against the "Babs good/smart, Dick bad/dumb" troupe.

I don't know how some of y'all can even be mad right now. It's been years since Dick's book was half this good and two days later I'm still riding the high of this issue. What're you even mad at? Because a solicit said Jason was gonna beat up Dick in some Future State mini? Because a solicit never lies right? Yeah, hate to tell y'all this but Dick is still gonna lose fights here or there; even Bruce loses a fight sometimes, and it's not like Jason's incapable of winning. Not like Dick's an alien sun god getting chumped by an old man. What else you mad at? That WB claims the Batgirl movie is happening, just like they've claimed for years and years without any actual movement happening? Look at how terrible most of the DC movies are; even if Batgirl does get a film (and I have my doubts) that's not a missed opportunity for Nightwing, it's a bullet dodged.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Got to read the issue Wednesday night (made a 45 minute drive to my LCS after work *just* to get this). And I'm not disappointed in the least. It was the kind of classic status reset I expected to get after all the Ric nonsense, and felt like a breath of sweet, fresh air. Taylor gave each moment plenty of space to stretch and breathe, Dick's voice felt pretty spot on, and I think Taylor nailed the reading of the will and Dick's response to it. And the art was superb on every level. Definitely one of the best looking comics I've picked up lately, and that's saying something considering how good a lot of the Future State art has been.

Not the most action packed or fastest paced issue out there, and I hope to see denser storytelling going forward, but for what this issue needed to be and what it needed to set up I think it did a fantastic job. I hope that as we get deeper into the run, Taylor will pick up the pacing and expand Dick's mythos beyond Bludhaven, find some niche that Dick can call his own that'll help him stand out as more than just another Bat. But you gotta get things back on track before you can rebuild in any meaningful way and I think Taylor did very well here. I'm not even that bothered by Babs flipping Dick when he got to his apartment and I got a big bias against the "Babs good/smart, Dick bad/dumb" troupe.

I don't know how some of y'all can even be mad right now. It's been years since Dick's book was half this good and two days later I'm still riding the high of this issue. What're you even mad at? Because a solicit said Jason was gonna beat up Dick in some Future State mini? Because a solicit never lies right? Yeah, hate to tell y'all this but Dick is still gonna lose fights here or there; even Bruce loses a fight sometimes, and it's not like Jason's incapable of winning. Not like Dick's an alien sun god getting chumped by an old man. What else you mad at? That WB claims the Batgirl movie is happening, just like they've claimed for years and years without any actual movement happening? Look at how terrible most of the DC movies are; even if Batgirl does get a film (and I have my doubts) that's not a missed opportunity for Nightwing, it's a bullet dodged.
    Not going to lie, it feels a little like when I first picked up an issue of Dixon's run and how Dick jumped to my favorite character back in the day. There's potential here. It's finally a good time to be a Nightwing fan.

Do we know that Batgirl and Supergirl are going to be teens and not young adults? Plus, Supergirl/Shazam are practically invulnerable.

I agree, I think it sucks too. It's part of what killed my interest in Zach Synder's stuff. Maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I imagine they will be young adults. The Supergirl actress for the Flash movie has already been cast and she is 25. More Batgirl movie info will probably come this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I'm sick and tired to see him beaten down so other characters look good, shouldn't happen on his own book, tired of his world being this small and repetitive too.

It was as standard as it gets, the only great part was the color palate.

I don't care about the movies one bit, just hope he doesn't get stuck as Barbara's boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    I'm sick and tired to see him beaten down so other characters look good, shouldn't happen on his own book, tired of his world being this small and repetitive too.
    And I'm with you on all of that. But Dick's not getting beat down in his own book right now, that's some random FS mini (and who gives a damn about a random FS mini and its solicit that's probably lying anyway?). And he's back to the small world that is Bludhaven, but we're *one* issue deep and Taylor has *a lot* of damage control to take care of after Ric. Let's give him more than twenty pages to expand the franchise, yknow? It's not gonna do anybody any good to build things up when the foundation is still built on Ric.

I figure we'll get one trade's worth of material that'll be pretty normal Dixon-esque Nightwing. After those six issues, I'll be expecting and demanding that Taylor build the mythos up and get into new territory, but for right now I'm quite content to just get Dick's feet back on recognizable ground. The IP was broken pretty badly, it's gonna take more than a couple issues to get things back on track and then aim it at a bigger target.

This was a solid story that is very squarely and definitely within Dick's sphere of influence and narrative core. Been a long damn time since we've had even that basic level of storytelling competency, and while I'm as anxious as anyone to see Dick elevated and pushed to new heights by DC, that's not something that'll happen instantly. I'm not gonna happily settle for a Dixon flavored, basic bitch Nightwing, but I also recognize that getting the IP into something bigger and new, and doing that properly, is gonna take a minute.

I mean, ffs, it's been two years since Dick was even Dick, and longer since his book was of even average quality. I'll take what Taylor gave us over what we had, any day of the week. I hope we get more, and Taylor actually delivers on the promise of building Dick into an A-lister, but for right now I'm just super happy to have a Nightwing book worth reading again. This was the first step out of the gate, not the finish line, and we shouldn't judge this issue on what we want the end result to be.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-20-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It’s about protecting the brand. On one hand their check out this new direction, on the other it’s here he is getting his ass kicked. This bipolar kind of production with the character is destructive. They did the same thing with Seeley’s run and Abnett’s Titans. One undermines the other. You can’t expect readers to take the character as credible, and want to invest more in him, when they constantly keep throwing him under others anywhere else they look. Especially after Ric. How about they give the new run some room to breath before they job the character elsewhere. I know no one else in the family besides Batman has any real status, but still try picking someone else for a change. The character can’t really afford it anymore.
    I remember Priest talking about starting his Deathstroke run, and how he push DC to be more careful with how they use him as him continually losing encounters dilutes the brand.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-20-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Eh, I don't know that I agree. The fact that DC uses Nightwing as a whipping boy so much kind of shows what his profile and status are. Same thing happens to Superman; when you want to showcase how powerful and badass your character is, you have them beat up Clark. When you want your street level guy to showcase how cool they are, they fight Nightwing.

I hate the jobbing too, so gods damn much, but there's a reason it happens to Dick and not someone like Duke, Helena, Kate, or Tim. Beating those guys doesn't really mean anything, beating Dick does.

If the argument is that DC abuses everyone except Batman, well yeah, that's a serious problem that has devalued every IP DC owns, including Batman's. But that's not a Nightwing problem it's a DC problem and goes well beyond Grayson. Dick losing a fight isn't really detrimental to the brand, that's not where the abuse is happening; the lack of investment, autonomy, and positive character development/world building is where the abuse is happening. And if we can believe DC and Taylor, that sh*t ended when Didio got canned and we're just now catching up with that change in focus.

And I think everyone is over-valuing the impact a random FS mini is going to have either way.

~ Black Panther.