Page 45 of 103 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So the first time Tim's parents are adapted and they're barely recognizable .
    Janet shouldn't be there, period. She's a posthumous character in the comics, died before Tim even became Robin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Typical. For some reason, the current crop over at DC seems to think that the only way to make someone interesting is to “diversify” them — whether it be making them LGBT, race-bending them, or gender-bending them.
    Their attempts for 'diversity' are always sloppy imo. Never care for sexuality (since I gave up following romance on comic) and race, but does DC ever gender-bending character?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    So jacking not just from Duke but Damian.

Jeez Tim is watering down out Robins. I'm not too happy about Tim piggy backing on other's ethnicities.

I'd be even more pissed off if the rumours are true and this show is doing the Dick bats thing with Tim.

If Tim Drake the character as he is isn't interesting enough for the show, don't take aspects from other Robins to augment him. Just use those other characters.. smh

Tim Drake's the bland Robin? What!
    Parents that run a restaurant is actually part of Clownhunter background.

Wondering what will happen to the parents, I mean in the comics their fate was that nice in all three cases ...

Did the Titans really need another Robin?

If these show makers wanted so much to increase representation why not use the many characters of colour within the DCU? Why mix and match 3 actual minority characters and tag him with a white characters name?

This doesn't make me think of dC as progressive. This is regressive. They are just that committed to making sure original characters of colour remain marginalised and hidden.

Duke, Damian and Bao for Tim Drake.

I called Tim the privileged Robin once on this thread. Tim Drake is indeed the privileged Robin who continues to fail upwards

Extraordinary Member

I'm not really anything from Damian in this character.

And I'm not sure if Clown Hunter was allready exsited (or that the writers were aware of him), when they created this version of Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

And I'm not sure if Clown Hunter was allready exsited (or that the writers were aware of him), when they created this version of Tim.
    We've talked about this before dude but it hella racist of you to continue to deny Damian's racial mix simply because he is white passing.

Even after DC themselves told you so by including him in their Asian anthology celebrating those characters.

What is the matter with you?

Damian's mother isn't of Asian heritage. You can't see anything of Damian in this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

The Mother being of Asian descent is from Damian. I see your point that Bao might be too recent to have been ripped off by the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Did the Titans really need another Robin?

If these show makers wanted so much to increase representation why not use the many characters of colour within the DCU? Why mix and match 3 actual minority characters and tag him with a white characters name?

This doesn't make me think of dC as progressive. This is regressive. They are just that committed to making sure original characters of colour remain marginalised and hidden.

Duke, Damian and Bao for Tim Drake.

I called Tim the privileged Robin once on this thread. Tim Drake is indeed the privileged Robin who continues to fail upwards
    Perhaps because those characters don't fit the story that is set to be told.

Damian, Bao, Duke, and Tim are different characters from personality and the way they think. You can't really just sub one of them to replace Tim that fits his story, especially not Damian or Bao; their stories are far too different. Honestly that's not even what's going on here.

This isn't about Tim being privileged like you love to claim. He's simply being race bended for this particular take. He's not the only character who has gotten this change when adapted to live action (many characters have), and I doubt he'll be the last. This move was merrily made to add more representation, nothing more nothing less. Race does not directly define a character/ from their motivations and personality. It's all about the journey, and the trials they endure which makes a character. In short, if the portrayal feels like Tim then I'm for it.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

So much for an appreciation thread. This place is crawling with Tim haters.

Extraordinary Member

Damian's mother isn't of Asian heritage. You can't see anything of Damian in this character.
    As long as Tim's mother is an ordinary Asian American and not a member of the League of Assassins, that's pretty thin for blaming him to take something from Damian imo...

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    So much for an appreciation thread. This place is crawling with Tim haters.
    Is it? Looks like people are just annoyed that the Titans TV show's Tim isn't really Tim at all, because they changed his ethnicity. It's not that they hate Tim outright, they just don't have a positive first impression of this version of him.

I say, wait until you actually see him in action. People criticised the casting of Bart Allen on The Flash (never mind that it makes sense for him to be black because Iris is) but his actor nailed the role. He sounds straight out of the comics and the Young Justice cartoon.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-22-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

We've talked about this before dude but it hella racist of you to continue to deny Damian's racial mix simply because he is white passing.

Even after DC themselves told you so by including him in their Asian anthology celebrating those characters.

As Damian fans I think his race is not the most interesting aspect of him. Damian is our bratty assassin son of Batman with arrogance wholly taken from both of his parents but also a good kid who tries hard to be a better hero regardless of his heritage, whether high expectation from Batman side or moral struggle from Al Ghul side. That's his character essence regardless of his race, and he no way gets attention because of his race. And that's the amazing thing about Damian.

So if Tim was turned into mixed-race character, I don't feel like he took it from Damian because since the beginning Damian's race is not the main aspect of him. Maybe Duke fans can protest about it, since the origin as Gotham low-class citizen is indeed from Duke, but I recalled many debates between Tim fans and Duke fans on Duke's early appearance because they thought Duke takes some aspect from Tim and I am afraid that if we continue it, we will enter a very unpleasant cycle. So maybe we should wait till its release and we know more about the storyline? I once said in this thread that if Titans Tim is an absolute fan of Dick, he's my Tim.

Just an interesting observation of mine though, why in almost every American media they always portray Asian as restaurant owners? As part of Asian, I always feel like any time there's attempts of diversity, they do stereotype instead
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 07-22-2021 at 03:42 AM.

While she was Russian and not Chinese, I think they may have took that from the story of Tim's first girlfriend Ariana Dzerchenko and her aunt and uncle, who owned a restaurant.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    While she was Russian and not Chinese, I think they may have took that from the story of Tim's first girlfriend Ariana Dzerchenko and her aunt and uncle, who owned a restaurant.
    I think her parents were the restaurant owners before they were killed by KGBeast, and her aunt and uncle owned a shop. But I might remember that wrong.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    The Mother being of Asian descent is from Damian. I see your point that Bao might be too recent to have been ripped off by the show.
    Not really since Naomi is getting her own show this year and ghost maker is next