Page 29 of 103 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Redwing I hate the most aside from being derivative of his older bros mantles, it drags Nightwing and Red Hood together and still feels like Tim attempting to piggy back off the popularity of Red Hood and Nightwing.

Redbird is also another good one. I used to be against Tim taking on a mantle previously used by Damian but if he can take up Robin after Damian, Duke and Jarro then RedBird is fine.

However Red Robin is a name that Tim has had success with so it's my fav
    I don't understand the problem people have with Red Robin.
    His solo as RR was one of his best years, especially since the Dixon era being long gone. The name is not that great, but it was better than Drake. And he had what i thought it was a great and distinct costume after Marcus To redesign the Red Robin outfit from Kingdom Come.

Tim was in a great space before Flashpoint, but the New 52 really screw him up much more than his brothers.

Also, I would love to know what Bendis thinks of every book that have Tim now making fun of the Drake name. Urban Legends and The Robins have characters cracking Jokes about that codename.
    Last edited by Drako; 06-08-2021 at 03:10 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I understand it. I don't agree with it; but I understand it. People hear “Red Robin” and think of this:
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I understand it. I don't agree with it; but I understand it. People hear “Red Robin” and think of this:
    I knew this restaurant, but we don't have this franchise here in Brazil. Didn't know it was very popular in the US.

But if this is the biggest problem with the name, i think it's fine.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I wish he could find a name that's not some variation of his old one. But I've always been perfectly fine with Red Robin. Especially when he had his New 52 costume (Yes, I'm a fan of the wing suit lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I wish he could find a name that's not some variation of his old one. But I've always been perfectly fine with Red Robin.)
    They really need to think of something other than Red Robin or Drake. It's been 12 years since he adopted Red Robin, there should have been more of an effort to think of a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    They really need to think of something other than Red Robin or Drake. It's been 12 years since he adopted Red Robin, there should have been more of an effort to think of a new name.
    He didn't have the current problem when he was just Red Robin. At least we knew what to call him.

The problem with the codename started with Bendis making him Drake. Thank god he didn't have time to create new names for Cassie and Kon.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, the Red Robin era Pre-New 52 wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty damn good. Fabian Nicieza on an off-day tends to still be very entertaining and very competent at juggling world building and issue-to-issue storytelling, and Chris Yost’s opening arc was arguably better.

The New 52 sucked more because of the one two punch of Scott Lobdell (and then DC editorial afterwards) having bad concepts for the character, and Lobdell’s competence level not being up to snuff on Titans. The Pfeifer years got mired in that run’s issues, and while Tynion is a fan of the character, he seems to have some problem nailing him over prolonged periods of time.

I still think the cowled costume was awesome when To got ahold of it, and I’m kind of curious to see how that Gotham Knights game shapes opinion about him afterwards.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Why? Are you assuming he was at fault for the breakup?
    For me, after all the Tynion relationship drama and Bendis putting them in a good place (one of the best things he did in that run), having an off-panel breakup feels so bleh.

Amazing Member

So naming drama aside, my main issue that had me stumbling over it was ... the internal monologue and dialogue that they decided to go with.

"It's like ... my programming's corrupted."

"systems check,
    offline."

"come on, come on,
    reboot, gotta get
    up. gotta stop ..."

the ever shifting of not only Tim being the "tech" one, also born out with the whole Oracle conversation about the batcomputer being a "Tim Drake Original", but apparently he now thinks of himself in "tech" terms and I'm ... not a fan of that to be honest.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Just read it.
    It's seems clear to me that they are trying another time to make order on the character and fix some traits to start again:

1) making fun of Bendis and all the Drake thing calling it ancient history. He's not Red Robin, he's Robin part-time. Probably This storyline will lead to a new start and a new identity.
    2) He's again a technological genius to the point that even Barbara have to ask for his advices. I hate when they spend all the time telling how much intelligent Tim is and how powerful his brain is.
    3) Tim Wayne suddenly is here again so I have to wonder that Jack Drake is dead.
    4) He broke with Steph off-panel (seriously?) and is meeting an old friend everyone forgot of. It is a gay turn upcoming? I think it may be. If you want to have a gay Robin Tim is the best candidate.
    That's really incredible thinking back to the previous millenium where DC tried his best to avoid the theory of Batman & Robin as a gay relationships.
    Tim himself, when was created, was immediately associated to Ariana for the avoidance of doubt. Times are changed now and maybe we are ready for this. Tim's bromance with Kon has been one of his past favorite traits and could lead to a definitive turn for the character.

What they have settled in this issue is a pitch I'm not confortable with, but it is a pitch at least. Please DC find a direction and keep it!

I'll never understand why it's so hard to erase everything happened after Flashpoint and start again from that point.

Oh, the villain is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 06-09-2021 at 02:33 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    This is confirming my theory that Jason should Not have died.

If Jason lived, then No Tim Drake.

If No Tim Drake, then No surplus Robin.

Everything DC does seems to say that Tim is superfluous.

DC might as well make Redundant Tim's new codename.

This is a very sad way to treat a character that was popular for over a decade.
    Well we could fix it all if Jason would stayed dead.
    As he should in my opinion, and not cause I have something against him but because death should count, even in comics.
    But this is an entirely different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Well we could fix it all if Jason would stayed dead.
    As he should in my opinion, and not cause I have something against him but because death should count, even in comics.
    But this is an entirely different matter.
    Jason staying dead wouldn't save Tim from redundancy. Jason isn't Robin or a sidekick. Jason has his own niche. Tim is redundant because he can't seem to move past robin. A position that is currently occupied

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    His solo as RR was one of his best years, especially since the Dixon era being long gone. The name is not that great, but it was better than Drake. And he had what i thought it was a great and distinct costume after Marcus To redesign the Red Robin outfit from Kingdom Come.

Tim was in a great space before Flashpoint, but the New 52 really screw him up much more than his brothers.

Also, I would love to know what Bendis thinks of every book that have Tim now making fun of the Drake name. Urban Legends and The Robins have characters cracking Jokes about that codename.
    I'm real glad other writers are making fun of Drake. That was a stupid direction by Bendis. Even the reason behind it was stupid. Why would Tim take the name of an evil version of himself?!

I hope we get more writers making fun of the Duckboy phase. Shocking that DC ever allowed that to get to printing stage. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    3) Tim Wayne suddenly is here again so I have to wonder that Jack Drake is dead.
    Yeah, Tynion's Detective Comics run nullified Tim's New 52 origin and restored his original one. And as of Infinite Frontier, everything is meant to be in continuity (except for obvious contradictions such as Bludhaven getting nuked, which would negate the Rebirth Nightwing run). That includes the event in which Jack was killed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Tynion's Detective Comics run nullified Tim's New 52 origin and restored his original one. And as of Infinite Frontier, everything is meant to be in continuity (except for obvious contradictions such as Bludhaven getting nuked, which would negate the Rebirth Nightwing run). That includes the event in which Jack was killed.
    Bludhaven getting nuked wasn't that long after Jacks death iirc, so just bringing Tim's origin back wouldn't mean that you have to bring that back.

Really if they can choose what is continuity and what isn't, I don't get why choose to bring stuff back that is hated by the fans.