Page 82 of 103 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1540
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Tim is very smart but he has never been a genius. Duke and Babs are the two who have been called geniuses in comics.

Not sure if Damian has been called one in the comics however the thing's that he's accomplished and stuff they have him pull off at a very young age I haven't seen Tim come close to.

It's ridiculous. It's getting to a point where we might as well apply the 'Because he's batman 'meme to Damian.

heck Tom Taylor did exactly that in DCeased.

It's nothing to do with mileage. it's printed in BLK and WHT in the comics
    Tim has been labeled a genius, Duke I have never heard
    Then again so many characters have been called genius intend to not take it seriously

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I doubt that the Titans Academy kids are going to have much staying power. The book barely develops anyone and that's ignoring Dick's gen which gets shafted for screentime.
    I disagree I see several with a future. They are here to mentor and help brin up the next gen. Dicks team have had their time

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I disagree I see several with a future. They are here to mentor and help brin up the next gen. Dicks team have had their time
    The writer already confirmed that he's leaving this year, and I really doubt that a new writer would bother to keep most of the new characters.

The sales are also not too great, either. Not horrible, but rapidly declining.
    Issue #3 was in place 61 of best-selling comics, issue #4 dropped to place 84 and sold 35k, and issue #5 wasn't even in the top 100 best-selling comics (place 105) and sold 30k.
    Those numbers aren't horrible, but if they keep declining with each new issue, this book would either change its focus or would be canceled.

At least we'll see some of the Titans in the Titans United new series, even if it's out of continuity.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    The writer already confirmed that he's leaving this year, and I really doubt that a new writer would bother to keep most of the new characters.

Issue #3 was in place 61 of best-selling comics, issue #4 dropped to place 84 and sold 35k, and issue #5 wasn't even in the top 100 best-selling comics (place 105) and sold 30k.
    Those numbers aren't horrible, but if they keep declining with each new issue, this book would either change its focus or would be canceled.

At least we'll see some of the Titans in the Titans United new series, even if it's out of continuity.
    The problem for me is I was hoping to see more of the most recent Teen Titans shown in the first issue...Powerhouse, Bunker, Roundhouse, Crush, Kid Flash working alongside the older Titans Nightwing, Donna, Gar, Raven and Starfire and more. Instead it's been a lackluster run with characters that have proven to be of absolutely no interest and little reason to have an interest in them. Mister Nightwing is ridiculous as is Miss Starfire (and Starfire running a school? It would have made so much more sense if it were Donna who's only made a handful of panel appearances.) The Red X mystery is proving to be one of the least interesting mysteries I have ever had the pleasure to read. Wow...I did not realize just how much I didn't care for the book until just now lol. I am looking forward to Titans United though. Hopefully it will prove to be better.

Extraordinary Member

So it’s still titled titans Academy. Unless the book is cancelled those kids will be fine. If it dies then the titans will go on hiatus for a while.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Tim is very smart but he has never been a genius. Duke and Babs are the two who have been called geniuses in comics.

Not sure if Damian has been called one in the comics however the thing's that he's accomplished and stuff they have him pull off at a very young age I haven't seen Tim come close to.

It's ridiculous. It's getting to a point where we might as well apply the 'Because he's batman 'meme to Damian.

heck Tom Taylor did exactly that in DCeased.

It's nothing to do with mileage. it's printed in BLK and WHT in the comics
    Tim has been labeled a genius in the comics, by that specific adjective, as recently as Rebirth - and it's even listed under "powers" in his official DC profile, here. It wouldn't matter either way, since it's an abstract term with no precise definition.

Tim is clearly meant by the publisher to be one of the smartest people around. Everyone in-universe is always saying that (Ra's al Ghul, Nightwing, Batman, and even Damian as recently as his latest Robin issue), to the point that it has become somewhat annoying. It's his primary characteristic.

Mileage has something to do with it because you can argue that they've been unsuccessful in portraying him as such, which is fine as an opinion goes. Writing a character smarter than oneself is hard. But what you can't argue is that they intend, in canon, to portray him as such. Fanon was just following suit.

The coffee-bit, in contrast, originated in fanon and migrated to DC-owned property via the most recent webcomic.

This is true, that he is not a genius. I honestly just shut down on the whole thing.

I like Tim.

My problem with fanon Tim is… pretty much everything. It’s not just the coffee or the genius thing. It’s the insomnia, the self neglect, the OCD, the panic attacks. How he randomly run around hating everyone and always seems to be trying to go into hiding. That character is not Tim Drake. That character is super toxic.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Mighty Member

Yep, Tim started off very smart but not a super genius, that characterization developed overtime. I think that was because writers both in canon and fanon felt that only a super genius could discover Batman's identity.

It the same thing with Ra's al Ghul calling Tim "Detective" when this is something that he has also call Jason and Dick.

I actually have no problem with Tim being a super genius or a prodigy with great detective skills but what has happen recently in canon is that they used both Dick and Damain to tell readers how smart he is rather than actually show it.Therefore sticking him with in the smart Robin niche rather than developing his personality.

While fanon have made Tim a bit of a "woobie" who is on the verge of a breakdown, you cannot blame them because the main canon have given them enough material.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 09-11-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Incredible Member

So it’s still titled titans Academy. Unless the book is cancelled those kids will be fine. If it dies then the titans will go on hiatus for a while.
    More likely the book would focus on the upperclass (Damian's previous team) and the faculty.
    I wonder if teen titans from Tim's generation could also appear in the book.

Extraordinary Member

More likely the book would focus on the upperclass (Damian's previous team) and the faculty.
    I wonder if teen titans from Tim's generation could also appear in the book.
    Or the books keeps going despite low sales “catwoman and redhood” and continues
    It has future hbomax animated series

Incredible Member

Or the books keeps going despite low sales “catwoman and redhood” and continues
    It has future hbomax animated series
    You do remember that Red Hood doesn't have a solo and instead is going to lead a task force of zombies? Because that's what happen when books don't sell. They either change or get canceled.

Extraordinary Member

You do remember that Red Hood doesn't have a solo and instead is going to lead a task force of zombies? Because that's what happen when books don't sell. They either change or get canceled.
    He had a low selling book though out it’s ten years run and they left him alone

Incredible Member

He had a low selling book though out it’s ten years run and they left him alone
    Yes, because the writer was friends with the editors. The series was kept for Lobell to have a job. Once DC editorial changed, Red Hood was canceled.
    Also, you can see that the company line is different now - there are fewer ongoing books and more mini-series. DC are now trying to play safe.

When TTA debuted there were lots of readers who wanted to see how this academy concept would work. This series had so much potential - it could have shown characters from different "generations" like Donna and Cassie together, or Nightwing and Tim teaching strategy and hand-to-hand combat, or characters like Wally mentoring the new speedsters, or even show a rotating cast of previous Titans incarnations as we saw in "the last stories of the multiverse" working on different missions and teaching.
    But instead, we got a ton of new characters that aren't very interesting, and a book that keeps losing readers with each new issue.
    And that's more or less the problem with Teen Titans - DC keeps introducing new characters, and the previous ones are shelved. It makes it impossible to care for any new character once you know you'll never see them again once the writer changes.
    Anyway, it looks like the solicitations of October-November are shifting the focus again towards the faculty with a reunion between the Titans, Wally, and Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Tim has been labeled a genius in the comics, by that specific adjective, as recently as Rebirth - and it's even listed under "powers" in his official DC profile, here. It wouldn't matter either way, since it's an abstract term with no precise definition.

Tim is clearly meant by the publisher to be one of the smartest people around. Everyone in-universe is always saying that (Ra's al Ghul, Nightwing, Batman, and even Damian as recently as his latest Robin issue), to the point that it has become somewhat annoying. It's his primary characteristic.

Mileage has something to do with it because you can argue that they've been unsuccessful in portraying him as such, which is fine as an opinion goes. Writing a character smarter than oneself is hard. But what you can't argue is that they intend, in canon, to portray him as such. Fanon was just following suit.

The coffee-bit, in contrast, originated in fanon and migrated to DC-owned property via the most recent webcomic.
    It says Computer Genius which is very different from Genius. Narrowing it down to such a specific aptitude. He's got a knack with computers. [wasn't he hacked by a 10 year old?]

Tim is inconsistent. The most inconsistent of all the characters in the DC Universe because they keep trying to update him.

So now that the Bat verse has introduced character's far more brilliant than him they changed him into a 'computer genius'.

ProbablyOne of the smartest doesn't mean THE smarter especially when all those characters who are made to tell us how smart Tim might be/is have feats/accomplishments demonstrably show them to be smarter.

That type of Hype talk is common in comics and the problem is that when everyone is one of the smartest then it means nothing that's when the important of showing comes in.
    Last edited by Fergus; 09-12-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Lol! A lot of people are stupid. Discovering Batman's identity was a combination of coincidence and having eyes not Super intellect.

Tim isn't super smart.
    Tim isn't smarter than Batman
    Batman has never said that Tim was smarter than himself
    Tim isn't the only one ra's has called Detective other than Bruce[add Damian to Dick and Jason]
    He wasn't even the 1st Robin that Ra's called detective [that was Dick] but All of Tumblr seems to think so. Tim stans dreamt up- the Super smart fanon.

Fans keep repeating the same made up canon and misinformation over and over and then one day DC hires a guy who used to run 2 Tim Drake fan blogs on Tumblr and Boom! Fanon becomes Canon.

Tynion's Tim can hack anything with just the push of a button

Tim was crafted to be an insert character. He was made generic on purpose so audience would like him and relate to him. No strong personality or flaws or uniqueness to making him appealing to the LCD.

He was just Robin and inoffensive.
    It's no wonder that he's woobified or that fan's project so many tropes onto Tim. He was designed for that purpose.