Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: The Knight #10 Preview

Batman: The Knight #10
    Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Carmine Di Giandomenico

I prefer it when Bruce is near catatonic when his parents die.

This feels so fan-fic-y with Bruce meeting Ra's and Talia and getting so chummy with Ra's before he's even bloody Batman. I'm sure they're already going to build up to Talia wanting to get into his pants even though we already had a story about that.

"You know what's in me? Everything!" Take a chill pill Bruce, you're still lashing out like a child.

At least Bruce finally shut Ghost-Maker up.

Astonishing Member

So the finale came, What you all think, I kinda dropped it, I perfer Chip's main Batman battle and I was excited of a book about Bruce training journey but was disappointed I guess.

Incredible Member

I liked it. But your mileage may vary on how much you like seeing Ghostmaker in the origin of Batman.

It's better than I thought it was gonna be. Ghostmaker works when Bruce is younger to me. This is the only book I liked him in so far.

I wouldn't mind Telltale adapting this. This is my headcanon for that take.

As a whole it's a similar but different take on Bruce's early days. It works up until the focus on Ra's but it sticks the landing to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-18-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Had a bit too much Ghostmaker and Ra's for my tastes.

I like Ghostmaker, he is definitely one of my favorite new characters in recent years. I wonder if he will ever get a solo.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I prefer it when Bruce is near catatonic when his parents die.

This feels so fan-fic-y with Bruce meeting Ra's and Talia and getting so chummy with Ra's before he's even bloody Batman. I'm sure they're already going to build up to Talia wanting to get into his pants even though we already had a story about that.

"You know what's in me? Everything!" Take a chill pill Bruce, you're still lashing out like a child.

At least Bruce finally shut Ghost-Maker up.
    I was about to ask what are you guys opinion if they're canonizing Ra's training Bruce
    This is non canon but as far as Zdarsky's concerned, it is a spiritual canon where he might carry the relationship built here (especially Ghost-Maker since he's pretty invested in it) into his canon

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I was about to ask what are you guys opinion if they're canonizing Ra's training Bruce
    Personally, I don't like that sort of thing. I find it contrived and makes the world feel so small. Nothing needs to be prophesied during his training.

It worked in Batman Begins because Ra's was the main villain, so there's narrative symmetry. he trained Bruce as an ally and is defeated by him as an enemy.

In a long-running comic book saga that doesn't exist (as there is no end point) so it's just forcing an early meeting because the writer knows Ra's is in Bruce's future. It adds nothing except the tedious "hero's destiny" trope.

One final page/panel at the very end showing Ra's being aware of Bruce's quest, as someone who could become an enemy or ally, would have been sufficient.

Plus, and I cannot stress this enough, Batman met villains/heroes AFTER his training/first year as Batman. He's been Batman for 10+ years, why is it so hard to leave meeting, say, Killer Croc to year 6?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I like Ghostmaker, he is definitely one of my favorite new characters in recent years. I wonder if he will ever get a solo.
    While not a solo solo, Ghostmaker is basically the lead of the Batman Incorporated book.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This is non canon but as far as Zdarsky's concerned, it is a spiritual canon where he might carry the relationship built here (especially Ghost-Maker since he's pretty invested in it) into his canon
    Ed Brisson seems to be treating it as canon for Batman Incorporated as well.

AIPT: It seems to be tying into Chip Zdarsky and Giadomenico’s Batman: The Knight — is it at all?

EB: So that was purely coincidental. It is one of those happy accidents. So when I was, when I was working on, on this and we find out earlier on, I’m not spoiling anything. We’re learning that somebody’s going around, and they’re killing Ghost-Makers’ past mentors, who also largely happen to be Batman’s past mentors. Some of ’em we’ve met in other comics. There’s a couple that we met ten years ago in backups Scott Snyder and James Tynan had done. There’s a couple that we first meet in The Knight. So that was just one of those happy accidents that I happened to be doing this story about past mentors, and then Chip was doing a story about them going through their mentorship. One of those situations where I was able to pull a few strings from there and use some of those characters and make it seem like it’s nicely tied together.
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/11/th...sson-timms-qa/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Personally, I don't like that sort of thing. I find it contrived and makes the world feel so small. Nothing needs to be prophesied during his training.

It worked in Batman Begins because Ra's was the main villain, so there's narrative symmetry. he trained Bruce as an ally and is defeated by him as an enemy.

In a long-running comic book saga that doesn't exist (as there is no end point) so it's just forcing an early meeting because the writer knows Ra's is in Bruce's future. It adds nothing except the tedious "hero's destiny" trope.

One final page/panel at the very end showing Ra's being aware of Bruce's quest, as someone who could become an enemy or ally, would have been sufficient.

Plus, and I cannot stress this enough, Batman met villains/heroes AFTER his training/first year as Batman. He's been Batman for 10+ years, why is it so hard to leave meeting, say, Killer Croc to year 6?
    Good answer on the symmetry part for the Nolan movies. That's the key but I don't know how to describe it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This was competently done and it had a few decent character moments...but as an origin story? It felt flat and overly long.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This was competently done and it had a few decent character moments...but as an origin story? It felt flat and overly long.
    It could have probably lost a couple of issues without harming the story I reckon.