Page 23 of 103 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Tim looks ten there

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Ouch! Tim Drake burns Damian Wayne

Why is Tim so young and why is Jason so short?
    I honestly excused/ignored this as Dan Jurgens not being up to date / caring about what’s going on completely with the Batfamily. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Damian slipped out of Jurgen’s mind when he wrote this. The whole Ric saga was half assed from the writers to the artists.

He even confused the whole Red Robin / Drake debacle by having Dick call Tim by “Drake” in that issue, when he actually went back to Red Robin at this point. I remember there was a convo here that he was going to be wearing a Robin suit but going by the name “Drake”.

Just looking at this, I realized that Jason is wearing Nightwing’s logo(but in red) in that panel lmao

Ouch! Tim Drake burns Damian Wayne

Why is Tim so young and why is Jason so short?
    lmao he looks about 13 here, his arms are so noodly.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    I honestly excused/ignored this as Dan Jurgens not being up to date / caring about what’s going on completely with the Batfamily. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Damian slipped out of Jurgen’s mind when he wrote this. The whole Ric saga was half assed from the writers to the artists.

He even confused the whole Red Robin / Drake debacle by having Dick call Tim by “Drake” in that issue, when he actually went back to Red Robin at this point. I remember there was a convo here that he was going to be wearing a Robin suit but going by the name “Drake”.

Just looking at this, I realized that Jason is wearing Nightwing’s logo(but in red) in that panel lmao
    Damian slipping Jurgens mind doesn't track. he was writing him in BB and remembered him enough to use him in the Annual.

This book is a mess. That line seems so petty and on the nose. like the Bendis always squeezes into his books to burn Supersons fans.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Thinking about it now I don't think Bendis was ever serious with Drake. Glass was specifically hired to write Damian losing Robin. Bendis must have known that so why even do the Drake thing

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    lmao he looks about 13 here, his arms are so noodly.
    Lol, right.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Thinking about it now I don't think Bendis was ever serious with Drake. Glass was specifically hired to write Damian losing Robin. Bendis must have known that so why even do the Drake thing
    Yeah Drake never felt like bendis being serious. he already knew Robin was going to be vacant likely was one of those behind the scenes [along with Tynion] that were lobbying for Damian to lose the mantle and Tim to take it back up [ if we are to take his tweets seriously] So Drake was unnecessary. Even as a gag or a gotcha.

Astonishing Member

Yeah Drake never felt like bendis being serious. he already knew Robin was going to be vacant likely was one of those behind the scenes [along with Tynion] that were lobbying for Damian to lose the mantle and Tim to take it back up [ if we are to take his tweets seriously] So Drake was unnecessary. Even as a gag or a gotcha.
    No. I think Drake was a serious attempt for a new identity from Bendis.

At that time, 5G was a plan. So, they likely want that Tim (and Damian) left Robin identity for that relaunch.

However, 5G was canceled and Drake hasn't a good reception, so they went for Robin Eternal.

Honestly, I don't think Bendis is a big fan of Tim. He brought YJ4 back, but that seems a way to promote his new line of young heroes.

Bendis tweets about Tim being the best Robin happened at the same time the solicitations announced Tim will change identity.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-17-2021 at 04:06 AM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

At that time, 5G was a plan. So, they likely want that Tim (and Damian) left Robin identity for that relaunch.

However, 5G was canceled and Drake hasn't a good reception, so they went for Robin Eternal.
    I honestly can't comprehend how anyone with an ounce of brain cells can see the mess of Drake story and think that it will receive anything but bad review. Like, the name, the origin, the costume, they're all universally horrible
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 05-17-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Honestly, I don't think Bendis is a big fan of Tim. He brought YJ4 back, but that seems a way to promote his new line of young heroes.

Bendis tweets about Tim being the best Robin happened at the same time the solicitations announced Tim will change identity.
    His 1st tweet about Tim being the best was right at the start of YJ. Then he took it to the next step by actually having that be part of one of the earliest issues solicits.
    Then came his hash tag of Tim is best Robin and Damian being the 5th best Robin tweet. All these were in the esrly days when YJ was launched and he put Tim back in the Robin suit and called him Robin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    I honestly can't comprehend how anyone with an ounce of brain cells can see the mess of Drake story and think that it will receive anything but bad review. Like, the name, the origin, the costume, they're all universally horrible
    Entertainment industry members are in the business most likely to expose how you can be a major success story and still make seemingly rookie-level mistakes.

I think Bendis was approaching the “Drake” idea from a very “marketing-first” POV, so it was even more likely to flop than if he’d genuinely had artistic inspiration for it. It seems like nonsense to us... but then again, someone though “Ric Grayson” was a good idea, even as they gave him that eye-sore of a costume and thought Scott Lobdell had something non-Jason Todd exclusive to contribute to the BatBooks, which even as a Tim fan, strikes me as far crazier than “Drake.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    His 1st tweet about Tim being the best was right at the start of YJ. Then he took it to the next step by actually having that be part of one of the earliest issues solicits.
    Then came his hash tag of Tim is best Robin and Damian being the 5th best Robin tweet. All these were in the esrly days when YJ was launched and he put Tim back in the Robin suit and called him Robin
    No. Bendis tweet (where he mentioned Tim was the best Robin and Damian wasn't) happened one day before the solicitations where it was announced Tim get a new identity.

This is the twitter where Bendis say Damian wasn't close to be the best Robin (it was 11th April, 2019):

https://mobile.twitter.com/BRIANMBEN...61066899623937

The solicitations for Young Justice #7 was released in 12th April 2019. This was the synopsis that appeared in the solicitation:

Young Justice—lost in the Multiverse! After the explosive conclusion to their Gemworld adventure, the team is having a tough time finding their way back to their Earth. No, we can’t tell you where they end up, but rest assured, you will be surprised! But as exciting as all that is, we have bigger problems to deal with as Tim Drake is about to do something he has only done...lots of times before. He is about to announce his new alias...a new superhero name. A Young Justice name. And this time, it’s permanent. Like, forever.

So, it seems clear Bendis speak about Damian, because he will give Tim a new identity.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Entertainment industry members are in the business most likely to expose how you can be a major success story and still make seemingly rookie-level mistakes.

I think Bendis was approaching the “Drake” idea from a very “marketing-first” POV, so it was even more likely to flop than if he’d genuinely had artistic inspiration for it. It seems like nonsense to us... but then again, someone though “Ric Grayson” was a good idea, even as they gave him that eye-sore of a costume and thought Scott Lobdell had something non-Jason Todd exclusive to contribute to the BatBooks, which even as a Tim fan, strikes me as far crazier than “Drake.”
    Writers and editors sometimes mean well (or don't) but also have some weird ideas...

No. Bendis tweet (where he mentioned Tim was the best Robin and Damian wasn't) happened one day before the solicitations where it was announced Tim get a new identity.

This is the twitter where Bendis say Damian wasn't close to be the best Robin (it was 11th April, 2019):

https://mobile.twitter.com/BRIANMBEN...61066899623937

The solicitations for Young Justice #7 was released in 12th April 2019. This was the synopsis that appeared in the solicitation:

Young Justice—lost in the Multiverse! After the explosive conclusion to their Gemworld adventure, the team is having a tough time finding their way back to their Earth. No, we can’t tell you where they end up, but rest assured, you will be surprised! But as exciting as all that is, we have bigger problems to deal with as Tim Drake is about to do something he has only done...lots of times before. He is about to announce his new alias...a new superhero name. A Young Justice name. And this time, it’s permanent. Like, forever.

So, it seems clear Bendis speak about Damian, because he will give Tim a new identity.
    I was wrong on the Damian tweet but the TimbestRobin part was well before the name change. It was before issue 3 of YJ

https://thattimdrakeguy.tumblr.com/p...michael-bendis

Obviously without knowing for certain what was going on behind the scenes we can only speculate. however since future state looks to be based on the ideas for 5G and Tim in FS is Robin eternal [while Damian in MIA] the question why Drake still remains.

If Damian was vacating the Robin role and Tim was to be Robin Eternal then why was Drake ever a thing?

Drake is a marketable name [it's a cool hero name compared to Robin] but the same is true of Red Robin.
    Last edited by Fergus; 05-17-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I was wrong on the Damian tweet but the TimbestRobin part was well before the name change. It was before issue 3 of YJ

https://thattimdrakeguy.tumblr.com/p...michael-bendis

Obviously without knowing for certain what was going on behind the scenes we can only speculate. however since future state looks to be based on the ideas for 5G and Tim in FS is Robin eternal [while Damian in MIA] the question why Drake still remains.

If Damian was vacating the Robin role and Tim was to be Robin Eternal then why was Drake ever a thing?

Drake is a marketable name [it's a cool hero name compared to Robin] but the same is true of Red Robin.
    I can’t remember the source for this as I saw this late last year but I believe the original 5G plan was for a Drake solo series by Bendis. With 5G being erased and also Bendis’ friends calling him out on the “Drake” name, he reverted him back to Robin/Red Robin.